• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Summit Model Differences

Coldfinger

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Nebraska
Looking at the 2021 Summit specs and comparing sp-X-Expert. Trying to decide which one might be for me. Let me know what I have missed. I ride the Snowy Range and like to boondock, sidehill, jump drifts, climb a little. My prevoius sleds were 92 Doo 580, 95 Summit 670, 99 Summit x 670, 2004 Cat 900 151, 2010 Cat M8 162.

These appear to be the added features when upgrading from SP to the X:
hpg plus shocks
smaller seat
shorter tunnel?
lighter by 13# for 154”

Going from X to Expert:
lightweight springs
kyb pro shocks on rear with easy adjust
ultra compact seat
shoter riser block
Shot start inc
maybe a few # lighter
no snow flap?

• 2 Stars
Reactions: CARBONDEATH
R
Nov 16, 2016
I just bought a new 850 Summit Xpert in the 154" track.
Yes, the tunnel is shorter.
Yes, smaller more compact seat.
No.... it will come with a snow flap, but it will be the short one. I picked up the LinQ extension flap. I I think that you will want the snow flap option.

It also has the exterior skid limit strap adjustment.

Also has the KYB clicker shocks at the tunnel.
KYBs up front.

Yes, pull start with the Shot System.

Shorter riser block.... I'm yet not sure how I will like that.

My earlier 800 Summit X has a more narrow ski stance. The upper/lower A arms are shorter.
Even though the 850 spacers can be repositioned, I'm not sure about ski stance being narrow like my other 800 X.
I prefer the more narrow stance.

You will enjoy that machine. It will be a game changer.

PaulAnd

Premium Member
Oct 17, 2010
Northern IL.
Looks like you keep your sleds for awhile, at least get the X for the rebuildable shocks.
The Gen4 is gonna feel floppy compared to what your used to.
The Xpert is way more planted feeling than the X so that might be the better fit from your M8

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

plumnuts

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Right side of Washington
Looks like you keep your sleds for awhile, at least get the X for the rebuildable shocks.
The Gen4 is gonna feel floppy compared to what your used to.
The Xpert is way more planted feeling than the X so that might be the better fit from your M8
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I purchased a new 2020 Expert 165 (wanted the short chassis), sled is a game changer... probably will buy another one this Spring

NHRoadking

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Apr 23, 2012
I purchased a new 2020 Expert 165 (wanted the short chassis), sled is a game changer... probably will buy another one this Spring
What doo you like about your Expert?

plumnuts

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Right side of Washington
What doo you like about your Expert?

Have rode Ski Doos since the PRS chassis (should have been called the POS chassis), just coming off an XM, the Expert feels lighter, was easier to put on edge, and just floats better. What is cool is the sled gets up quicker on top of the snow and just seems easier for me to ride aggressively (I'm an old guy). Took a while to get the shocks and springs adjusted like I wanted, and I like that the adjustments are easy. The 850 motor and clutch set up (I think the first CVT I have not made changes to) are spot on for my weight and riding... In March we will Spring buy another Expert, 165, 850, SHOT, 3 inch track and retire the XM completely

Reactions: NHRoadking

tmk50

Lifetime Membership
Sep 20, 2001
Brighton, Colorado
I bought an Expert last year - what I liked about it was that it came with all the 'stuff' from the factory. The only things I added before the first ride was the extreme skid plate and a brake reservoir protector. It was the first stock sled I haven't had to put a ton of $$ into in a long time. It just flat works.

idahoskiguy

Lifetime Membership
Feb 17, 2008
Boise, ID
I bought an Expert last year - what I liked about it was that it came with all the 'stuff' from the factory. The only things I added before the first ride was the extreme skid plate and a brake reservoir protector. It was the first stock sled I haven't had to put a ton of $$ into in a long time. It just flat works.
YES! The 2020 Expert is the best stock sled I have ever owned.....you would not go wrong with the Expert.

MNBlizzard

Lifetime Membership
Feb 28, 2012
Duluth, MN
I jumped up to an Expert this year and have been very impressed. I have always run aftermarket shocks, but I am really liking the stock KYB shocks front and track. As a taller guy, I am a bit unconvinced with the shorter riser height. I understand that riding with my knees and elbows bent will allow me to soak bumps up better and potentially be a bit more flexible. I am going to give it one more ride but likely will be getting a tad longer riser like the stock summit riser.

I do not think you will be disappointed. I was in the snowies 2 weeks ago and found untouched snow that was over 5' deep. The 3" track easily hopped up on the snow and it moved thru the snow with ease.

Coldfinger

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Nebraska
I am hanging in there Dan.

I think I am due for one, lol.

Each brand has features I like and other aspects that either add to or subtract from what I think I am looking for.

There were some slightly used sleds for sale at some pretty good prices last spring so I will be keeping my eyes open for those or I may buy new.

Coldfinger

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Nebraska
I like a riser which allows me to grab the bars while maintaining a slight bend in my knees and elbows. For me, this usually means the manufacturers tallest riser option because I am 6’3”.

When I stood on the Expert I felt the riser could have been taller for me. I wasnt sure how I might like the seat and would probably get the removable snow flap.

I am not sure about Shot Start. I know I would like it but unsure whether the price is worth it for me. I have not started a Doo 850 to see how easy it is to start with the pull start rope.

Premium Features