• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

still trying to stop the belt blowing!!!

I have spend hours trying to solve my belt blowing problem with my 2012 high country xf1100 TD turbo. I have done the OSP engine snubber, jackshaft snubber, heavy duty jackshaft and perfect alignment/parallelism.
as per TD suggestion:
primary spring: dalton red silver 185/300lb
weights:dalton 6wl @93g (to hold at 8250 on powertrail tune)
dalton spider shim
Helix:46/38 then back to 42/40
secondary spring: did have stock blue (175/185lb).... went to dalton green gold (185/320lb) thinking the secondary might be slipping?!?!
cats upgraded big fin secondary with properly cut spacer
XTX5020 belt
entirely vented side panel with frog skins all around, silicone'd up all cracks that could allow snow in.
stock 95mph high country gearing 22/48 changed to gearing out of a 2012 m1100t 21/49

The clutches on the sled run cool to the touch in the trails even agressive 70 mph corner to corner (they did not before the OSP alignment/paralellism)
10 mile long 80mph lake run on hardpack...... still cool clutches.....

Problem: clutches get extremely hot and blow belt into a million little pieces or snap right in half within less than 10 miles of off trail riding in the deep snow, on and off the gas alot powder carving etc, seems like the secondary gets hotter than the primary. I have to get this problem fixed the sled is useless to me like this..... blew 14 belts in 850 miles...... would really like to go on a ride to bc but that is out of the question with this machine it cant even handle powder in Ontario!

What are the mountain guys doing to make belts live boondocking or does no one ride them aggressively in the mountains?

Can anyone see any problems with my clutching combination?

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Stage 3 TCL delete. Sorry but its your only option now. You'll need the OSP alignment tool also.

Stage 3 TCL delete. Sorry but its your only option now. You'll need the OSP alignment tool also.

I have already purchased and used the osp Alignment tool, as well as purchased OSP's heavy duty jackshaft that eliminates the wobble bearing and shaft flex from the equation...... So the stage 3 TCL delete works?? Has anyone out there done it and went and rode really hard in the deep snow? that's alot of $$$$ on top of what I have already spent..... just running out of funds and worried about spending more an having it still blow belts!

Do a search on here or hardcoresledder there are many happy customers but few are finding the time to post prolly cause there riding the piss outta them. There's a thread on hcs go read it you'll be calling EVO quickly. Other than that alignment tool osp stuff is old tech on the big gal.

Sent from my LG-LS696 using Tapatalk 2

I have talked to an individual today that works at a dealer close to me and have been finding that even the evo stuff isn't fixing the belt blowing issues. idk if its worth the money if that's the case. idk what to do yet myself im in the same boat. was about to jump on the stage 3 but this dealer deals with Idaho Wyoming and Utah....

Are you sure you always had your side panel on correctly? My local dealer was out looking at my prolite, and he pointed out to me I was doing mine without getting the lower flap tucked in (I've got almost 600 DEEP SNOW miles and my 1st belt still looks new)...I wonder how many people forget to tuck in the lower piece, then go carve in deep stuff, panel scoops in snow, gets on clutches, slips, and BAM!! Just a thought...

I have talked to an individual today that works at a dealer close to me and have been finding that even the evo stuff isn't fixing the belt blowing issues. idk if its worth the money if that's the case. idk what to do yet myself im in the same boat. was about to jump on the stage 3 but this dealer deals with Idaho Wyoming and Utah....

You should give that dealer a shout out because this is the first I've heard that EVO's stuff doesn't work. Sure would like to hear from Jim on this. Funny thing is that nothing seems to work out East here except for cutting off that damn TCL.

I think the majority of the mountain problems are geared to high, is why there going with the 7 tooth drivers on the 15's. I could be wrong but that seems to be the main concensus that ive been gathering

All of the above on my M162 done( OSP and EVO, but not the newest set up), make SURE no snow gets on the clutch 'cause it does get in there and the big thing on mine was the STM secondary on it and does real well now!! And i"m i big flipper rider !!

2000kms + :amen:

Last edited:
The best fix I found was to sell it. No more belt blower. And won't buy another.

Me too, loved the sled but kept throwing money at fixes and belts with no luck. Front mount turbo by the clutches way to hot, so sold the sled and turbo'd M8 and no issues. Miss the 4 stroke though.

You should give that dealer a shout out because this is the first I've heard that EVO's stuff doesn't work. Sure would like to hear from Jim on this. Funny thing is that nothing seems to work out East here except for cutting off that damn TCL.
Well as I see this if your clutches are in alignment and this is all good I would say if your clutches hang up at all and you go over a rise or such and the clutches are not running in tune with each other you would still blow belts and this is true for any sled wether it's cat Polaris doo or yami, so I would make sure that your clutches are both running free and that is when the are HOT not COLD. Something to check out.

Well as I see this if your clutches are in alignment and this is all good I would say if your clutches hang up at all and you go over a rise or such and the clutches are not running in tune with each other you would still blow belts and this is true for any sled wether it's cat Polaris doo or yami, so I would make sure that your clutches are both running free and that is when the are HOT not COLD. Something to check out.

How do you check this??

I had the same belt blowing issues even after the Evo stage 3 TCL delete kit and the big fin AC Secondary we're installed. The clutch alignment was also good but yes I was still losing belts in 60 to 90 miles. After still having belt issues after all of the additional updates the problem actually came back to a defective primary clutch that was binding. So to make a long story short 4 of 5 techs failed to inspect and or check the primary clutch?

I actually had this problem from day one and only had 542 miles on the primary when it was replaced under warranty. Unfortunately I had been through 6 blown belts before this was finally corrected. This just proves that the M1100t's have actually had more clutch and belt issues then just the secondary. This shows why you should go back and check the basics first.

I have Jim and Todd at Evo to thank for the great advice and awesome customer service. The primary clutch issue was finally discovered and caught by Joey at Bikeman Performance and then I also had the BMP ARCTIC CAT TORSION CONVERSION KIT installed.

THE BMP AC TOSION KIT DRASTICALLY IMPROVES ALL AROUND CLUTCHING WITH THIS TORSION SECONDARY KIT! THESE KITS ALLOW THE CLUTCHES TO GO INTO FULL OVERDRIVE, UNLIKE STOCK, WHICH DOESN'T EVEN REACH A FULL ONE TO ONE RATIO! TRACK SPEED IS USUALLY INCREASED BY 4-5 MPH IN THE MOUNTAINS, AND 3-5 MPH OF TOP SPEED ON FLAT LAND. WE ACHIEVE THIS BY CHANGING THE STIFF, STOCK DRIVEN SPRING WITH A TORSION STYLE SPRING. THE STOCK DRIVEN SPRING ACTUALLY COIL BINDS WHICH STOPS THE SHIFT. WITH THE TORSION SPRING FULL SHIFT OUT IS ACHIEVED. THE TORSION SPRING WILL ALSO ALLOW YOU TO ADJUST THE DRIVEN SPRING TENSION FOR QUICKER UPSHIFT OR BACKSHIFT IF YOU DESIRE, EVEN THOUGH WE SUPPLY RECOMMENDED SPECIFICATIONS WITH THE KITS. THE HELIX AND ADJUSTABLE BILLET END CAP IS MACHINED FROM ALUMINUM WITH OUR CUSTOM CUT PROGRESSIVE MULTI-ANGLES.

I now have over 257 miles on only one belt which was in heard of before so thanks for all the help! Also with guys like Joey, Jim, & Todd that you can count on for exceptional knowledge, support and ability you rock!

Chris

Drive Clutch Failure

BL, the movable sheath in the center bushing was binding. This is not repairable and AC paid for the new clutch since the sled was still with in the 3 year factory warranty except for the $50 deductible.

I have spend hours trying to solve my belt blowing problem with my 2012 high country xf1100 TD turbo. I have done the OSP engine snubber, jackshaft snubber, heavy duty jackshaft and perfect alignment/parallelism.
as per TD suggestion:
primary spring: dalton red silver 185/300lb
weights:dalton 6wl @93g (to hold at 8250 on powertrail tune)
dalton spider shim
Helix:46/38 then back to 42/40
secondary spring: did have stock blue (175/185lb).... went to dalton green gold (185/320lb) thinking the secondary might be slipping?!?!
cats upgraded big fin secondary with properly cut spacer
XTX5020 belt
entirely vented side panel with frog skins all around, silicone'd up all cracks that could allow snow in.
stock 95mph high country gearing 22/48 changed to gearing out of a 2012 m1100t 21/49

The clutches on the sled run cool to the touch in the trails even agressive 70 mph corner to corner (they did not before the OSP alignment/paralellism)
10 mile long 80mph lake run on hardpack...... still cool clutches.....

Problem: clutches get extremely hot and blow belt into a million little pieces or snap right in half within less than 10 miles of off trail riding in the deep snow, on and off the gas alot powder carving etc, seems like the secondary gets hotter than the primary. I have to get this problem fixed the sled is useless to me like this..... blew 14 belts in 850 miles...... would really like to go on a ride to bc but that is out of the question with this machine it cant even handle powder in Ontario!

What are the mountain guys doing to make belts live boondocking or does no one ride them aggressively in the mountains?

Can anyone see any problems with my clutching combination?

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Total opposite of my 2012 first belt went 1700 miles then had to be changed out because it wore narrow. My 2013 has been a different story, both sleds boosted up. I'm getting about 500-600 miles with a evo big chute on the 13, will be doing a belt drive and tcl delete this summer and see how much better that gets.

Premium Features

Back