• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

SPI Ring Issues

I had about 40 hours on this fresh engine rebuild. you can see that the centering/locating pin was pushed in and the ring rotated. caught the exhaust port and the rest is history. has anyone had this issues before. i had to fully disassemble engine, split crank to clean all the aluminum pieces out. i just dont want this to happen again. any suggestions appreciated.

100_0198.jpg

100_0184.jpg

100_0203.jpg

100_0200.jpg

Same thing happened to me this weekend, just not as bad as yours. 3rd one in our group that has had this happen with spi pistons in them, never again will I buy their pistons:mad2:

yikes! i droped some spi pistons in my sled this summer... Got about 20 hours on them so far this season and its pully hard.. depends how much i ride i might drop some MCB dual rings in there.
I have ran spi pistons in many of mysleds and never have had a problem

I've seen that happen more often with stock BRP pistons than SPI's. I'll gladly pay less than half for a SPI than a stock BRP piston again, and take my chances that they will hold. Like I said, seen too many BRP pistons fail the exact way to trust them anymore.

ya, it seems to be a crap shoot for if an engine will stay in one piece!! i think i am going to go with Wiseco this time around anyway. unless SPI will replace them for free, highly doubtful, but will see what happens.

yikes! i droped some spi pistons in my sled this summer... Got about 20 hours on them so far this season and its pully hard.. depends how much i ride i might drop some MCB dual rings in there.
I have ran spi pistons in many of mysleds and never have had a problem

look at the mcb's i think they are spi's boxed in a mcb box....

Just had SPI's cause my 2nd engine rebuild. Its for the exact same reasons as you guys listed above. Damn SPI--Never again

well i think i would go with the rkt drop in kit if it was me or get the ones big john is using there have been way to many issues with the single ring doo pistons . and remmember if you have a nikisail bore you cant increase the claerance that you need on weiscos for a 2 min pull on a hill climb becuase forged pistons grow more than cast but if you have a cast iron sleeve do the weiscos i run weiscos in my 780 tripple but on that small bore i need .007 claerance to not stick them and i have tried .0065 and stuck one also i have ran spi pistons in alot of engines and they worked great every time but one and that was a 900 cat with miss matched cylinders and porting changes i didnt know about cost me big there new jugs and new cat pistons becuase the spi ones were .0005 bigger than stock cat ones so could have add to the problem my 02 cents thanks dan

I have heard issues with RKT also. and I am not going to spend $1500. I have decided to go with the MCB dual ringers.

Has anyone pushed back on SPI for this issue? I am attempting to find a contact so I can try to work something out. after all, it is their issue and it caused me $500+ in damage, not to mention down time and install time.

Kinda hard to tell from the pictures, but did the locating pin come out or did it break/shear off? Was end gap checked when installed? Cylinder bore straight and true top to bottom? (from my experience, most cylinders are a bit hour glass shaped and tighter through the middle- if not all the way down, and need to be straightened out- even factory new cylinders). Were the ports properly chamferred so the ring doesn't snag?

MCB is using SPI pistons with Skidoo/Elko rings. Nothing special about them.

Wish Pro-X made Skidoo pistons besides the 670 slugs, those are some outstanding cast pistons in my experience.

I've had more negative experience with Wiseco forged pistons in 2-stroke nikasil applications than positive to trust them with the wide clearance needed.

Haven't run any of the cheaper Taiwan OEM type pistons in a while, used to run the heck out of them back in the 1990s though with overall good results. In fact one of our best running and longest lasting mini-sprint car engines went 2 seasons on a set of Kimpex el cheapo pistons in it.

Blanket statements about most any product in a 2-stroke snowmobile application is almost unrealistic. Sure it sucks when something fails, but you don't have that many options to chose from either. Just dropped a set of SPI dual ring slugs in my 2004 800HO Summit, will report how she holds up. Devil is in the details most often when rebuilding engines.

Last edited:
I've seen that happen more often with stock BRP pistons than SPI's. I'll gladly pay less than half for a SPI than a stock BRP piston again, and take my chances that they will hold. Like I said, seen too many BRP pistons fail the exact way to trust them anymore.

FYI- I have done more 800 doos than allyaall put togather...its rarely the pistons fault...(except seizco's)...as for this one..what hammered the ring pin in?? I'm going with todays lovely 87 octane fuel plus 10% corn...(no such thing as 92 anymore...period)...only fix is bump the base gasket, loose 2 hp and run whats in the pump..BJ

as for wty?...one would have prove its the pistons fault...the result of a problem isnt the problem...one must find/fix the cause...the best part about a 2 stroke is it takes about 10 seconds to cause this kind of damage (or less)...another easy answer, was this failure about 5-10 miles from last fill up??

Since 2006 I warrantied 2 motors a season, various engine sizes, from BRP because of locator ring failure. That's only 10 motors, but all within the first couple hundred miles and all fully warrantied by BRP.
The others were out of warranty and the SPI price difference is a great selling feature.

IMHO, these ring locator pin failures are a direct result of the piston getting to hot due to only have one ring to transfer the heat from the piston to the cylinder wall. here is a good article to read
http://www.2strokeheads.com/SINGLEVSDUAL.htm

Go dual ring, they transfer heat better, motor will run more consistant and the locator pins will be less likley to fail.

Has anyone pushed back on SPI for this issue? I am attempting to find a contact so I can try to work something out. after all, it is their issue and it caused me $500+ in damage, not to mention down time and install time.

SPI...
Sure you can get a hold of them here.

我爱氧化锡西
谢谢所有有价值的信息。
祷告雪
:P

Premium Features

Back