• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

So close I can taste it!

D

DVarmit

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Apr 11, 2008
Alaska
We are sitting in Washington state waiting to catch the ferry to Haines then cross over to Anchorage. Should be there by the 30th of October.. Please tell me there is snow to tear up somewhere :D I'll need to throw a bigger paddle on her before I head out so if anyone knows a good place to find a paddle for a 136" 06 Crossfire let me know..

Nov 26, 2007
Anchorage, AK
You can go ride a couple of places, just depends on how far you want to drive. He is pulling your leg on no snow. Although the little bit we had right in town has pretty much melted.

Petersville or Summit are good for a first ride of the year.
Many more places should be getting adequate snow in the next couple of weeks.

A

aksnomachinechic

Nov 11, 2006
Gr8st Plce; ALASKA!
www.facebook.com
You can go ride a couple of places, just depends on how far you want to drive. He is pulling your leg on no snow. Although the little bit we had right in town has pretty much melted.

Petersville or Summit are good for a first ride of the year.
Many more places should be getting adequate snow in the next couple of weeks.

I live up Hiland and we came home to 2 more inches of new snow since this AM - WOOOHOOOO!!!

***** :musicnote: currently doing the SNOWDANCE :musicnote: *****

:D:D:D

D

DVarmit

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Apr 11, 2008
Alaska
Thanks for the snow report.. I have been watching the snow cams but none of the ones I can find are in the areas you folks post on here.. We are out of here tomorrow so the next post will probably be from Anchorage. To the folks who offered to take me out and watch me get stuck all day ;) I'll keep in touch..

D

DVarmit

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Apr 11, 2008
Alaska
Well 4,400+ miles later we made it! Drove around 400 miles out of Haines in this stuff.. They looked like they were riding in Eureka.. I think that is where it was and how it is spelled..

ferryandendoftrip 059.jpg

N
Dec 8, 2007
East Side A-Town
Thanks, looked like there were a lot of trails in that area. I

there is....the trail network is more extensive on the North side of the road (roadhouse side). Trails headout just behind the roadhouse. You can also go down a lil more to a place called Gunsight which you can see the AT&T tower out on a mound on the southside of the highway. Good riding there, and its always fresh when there is snow in the trees.

Was anybody riding in that area?

D

DVarmit

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Apr 11, 2008
Alaska
there is....the trail network is more extensive on the North side of the road (roadhouse side). Trails headout just behind the roadhouse. You can also go down a lil more to a place called Gunsight which you can see the AT&T tower out on a mound on the southside of the highway. Good riding there, and its always fresh when there is snow in the trees.

Was anybody riding in that area?

We went past Gunsight Mountain.. That was interesting since it looks just like the back sight.. Nobody riding that I saw but they were riding recently. There was maybe a foot or a little more of snow. We saw the tower to..

D

DVarmit

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Apr 11, 2008
Alaska
welcome Dvarmint, glad you made it...is it what you expected?

I was thinking about that when we were driving through the Alcan. We took a lot of pictures and I realized that no matter how many pictures I take the people I send them to could never appreciate the beauty unless they were the ones behind the camera. So, to answer your question, yes and much more.

We saw our first moose bedded down beside an exit ramp light last night right off Muldoon road.. Funny, we traveled the Alcan and didn't see a moose and end up seeing one bedded beside an exit ramp light.. We did see wolves, caribou, ptarmigan etc.. on the Alcan.

Premium Features