• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

So are pump gas turbos kind of a waste?

At 12 lbs of boost my Apex turns 70-80 mph track speed. If you can make that PGM8 turn them kind of speeds at 8lbs you need to get in the business of selling kits.
There is absolutley no way equally tuned sleds that the M8 will run the the Apex with that boost spread. Equal boost for boost and you would have a decent race, but the M8 will lay down on the top whereas the Apex will keep pulling.
Been there done that. Go to Fairview for your own viewings.....

I agree that with stock gears the m8 lay down on top. If you gear the m8 up it totally wakes up that sled. I run 12psi on my race kit with 60/60 gears and it is a vast improvment over the stock gearing. My buddy runs a propane nytro at 20 psi and racing up a hill I cant beat him but I can stay right with him. He was quite impressed. I can see around 70mph maybe a little more depending on the snow with those gears.

chris

Everyone with a 2 stroke says they can keep up, YAWN. On a good day, with the fourstroke having a bad day the fourstroke still wins. My limited experience! I have noticed the 2 strokers are always fiddling with their fuel controllers. I have witnessed 1 dragon pump gas kit that rips. Have seen it twice and they did not have to mess with it much at all. The most impressive 2-stroke kit I have seen. It will not outrun any decent four stroke turbo I have seen but it is still very impressive!

I think a lot of people want to compare the 4stroke on pump to the 2stroke on pump. I think we all know you can make a way better climber out of a 4stroke on boost with pump fuel. but the beutey of the 2 strokepgt is it allows lots of people to have a large amount of power in a much lighter sled, more suited for there riding. I know the nytro is briding the gap, but still, the pump gas turbo is evolving in place of the higher end bigbores for the fun factor, not crazy wheelie over backwards power and still can play all day on sled even without climbing.

I owned a 4 stroke on boost ya it was fun yes it was heavy and no I don't think I could ever go back unless they loose about 80 more lbs.

The two strokes and my BD Dragon on 8lbs is just plain fun not huge hp but I love how easy it is to ride in the trees.

Wanting Boost......?

Still riding the turbo fence but I think I would like. Had a couple ? for you guy's running pg turbo's;
1~ are they easier on engine components ie; reeds, or are you running special ones? how about belt wear
2~ can you really just turn the boost up and down or do you have to rework the clutch on the hill after you crank it up
I would really like to think these might be the next best thing for guy's who don't want to wrench on their sleds after every ride (or would one have to look forward to that as well?) But.......?. Maybe I need a boost mentor:confused::rolleyes: help talk me into it or out of it :o
P.S. I know I can't put a pumpgas on my M7

Still riding the turbo fence but I think I would like. Had a couple ? for you guy's running pg turbo's;
1~ are they easier on engine components ie; reeds, or are you running special ones? how about belt wear
2~ can you really just turn the boost up and down or do you have to rework the clutch on the hill after you crank it up
I would really like to think these might be the next best thing for guy's who don't want to wrench on their sleds after every ride (or would one have to look forward to that as well?) But.......?. Maybe I need a boost mentor:confused::rolleyes: help talk me into it or out of it :o
P.S. I know I can't put a pumpgas on my M7

You can put a pump gas kit on an m7. Just turn up or down the boost and adjust fuel flow accordingly. Very durable and don't stress the machine much more than normal. Not going to say they won't wear out a belt a little quicker etc, but nothing to bad. You do have to pay a little closer attention than just a stocker in that I check mine after every ride and make sure things haven't loosened up etc.

I agree that with stock gears the m8 lay down on top. If you gear the m8 up it totally wakes up that sled. I run 12psi on my race kit with 60/60 gears and it is a vast improvment over the stock gearing. My buddy runs a propane nytro at 20 psi and racing up a hill I cant beat him but I can stay right with him. He was quite impressed. I can see around 70mph maybe a little more depending on the snow with those gears.

chris

Great points. That just show's you a finely tuned machine can and will make the difference!

OK just read this thread i have a 08 d8 pump gas kit BD and come on guys at 6psi boost at 6000 ft it sucks so dont buy a pump gas kit with the intention to run pump fuel.Buy it with the understanding you will be running av gas at the least.I have run av gas at 10psi with no det. 9psi to 10 is the fun factor
level if you want to run 6psi just put a pipe on it and ride.

Not to piss on anyone just telling it how it is

Chris

I must have miss understood the title of the thread because i could have swore it had something to do with running a pump gas turbo on pump gas. Not av gas or just 50% race gas to be safe, then trun the boost up past safe 91 octane levels. Id like to hear from people that fuel up and the same pumps as everyone eles and run boost number that are reliable and not on the edge of detnation if you get some fuel thats not perfect. For some people running av or race gas mix is not fesiable or possable.

pump gas

There is know thought in my mind that the more boost is more thrill,but i ride with a guy with a pump gas twisted turbo {M8MATT}and it works really good it makes stock look really bad.

I must have miss understood the title of the thread because i could have swore it had something to do with running a pump gas turbo on pump gas. Not av gas or just 50% race gas to be safe, then trun the boost up past safe 91 octane levels. Id like to hear from people that fuel up and the same pumps as everyone eles and run boost number that are reliable and not on the edge of detnation if you get some fuel thats not perfect. For some people running av or race gas mix is not fesiable or possable.

I'll give my example for running 20% race and just under 7 lbs of boost. The BD kit says to run non oxy. fuel and it is very hard for me to find. Plus the safe boost psi varies depending on what altitude you are running. The kit is great as it gives the flexibility to run more or less boost depending on the fuel and fun level you want to achieve.

Over 1000 miles on straight 91 pump fuel, 7psi of boost, at 6000+ feet, not a single problem, also its on my 800 Dragon, Not a BD kit. Does so much better than a stocker.

ok iam running the stock Polaris FST which is a big fat hevey sled My ? is can i get more power by running higher Octane fuel or is there an easy way to turn up the boost . next year I'am hopping to put me and the sled Diets.

Get a boost gauge so you can tell how much its running now, then get a manual boost controller and start turning it up, you should be able to get a few more psi on your stock mapping before it cuts fuel.

FST

you can run a clamp the MAP voltage and a fuel return style pump on it with a high pressure regulator. This way you wont throw any overboost codes doing so. Some guys are pushing the limmits on these motors without problems so far.

Stock is 16lbs but in 08 I think?? they had the ECU mapped for a overboost mode this will let the motor crank out 16lbs for 4 seconds then backs down to 14lbs.

Also keep in mind the turbo and intercooler are going to be putting some hot charge temps out at 18psi as the intercooler is not realy big enough.

Let me first say I’m assuming that the 148 HP number for the M8 is measured around sea level. Taking this sled to 10,000’ will bring its HP number down to ~ 104 HP, using the 3% loss of HP per 1000’. The turbo allows this same engine to regain the lost HP, at least back to stock levels. That would be like having 44 HP mod installed. A pipe, can, and porting won’t get you there.

Maybe there is a big bore kit out there that can give the M8 44 HP back at 10,000’, but I don’t know. The turbo gives the added advantage to pushing even more air through the engine, to go beyond the stock HP level. Maybe it can reach 160 or 165 HP at 10,000’ with pump gas. This would a huge difference to a stock M8 that has lost 44 HP at 10,000’.

This all predicated on the stock HP being taken at near sea level. Maybe its not and someone knows what elevation it is.

I have two T-Cat’s and ridden both at 10,000’+ and 660’ elevation. There is a VERY notable difference in power, for both sleds, between those elevations.

I am running 8 lbs of boost on a yamaha vector with a super charger with a long track tunnel extension....about 190 hp....tons of torque down low and strong all the way up to the top....on pump gas...have 8500 miles on it....not 1 single problem....aaen 4 pro clutch up front...team roller in the driven....never even changed a spark plug....hauls ***...stock exhaust is quiet...and it gets tons of gas mileage....5 years old and runs with all the 1000kits....no thought on switching from this set-up...it is just amazingly reliable and throttle response is off the charts!!

i think pg turbos are fine if you got the bank to do it. personally im going to go the bb and n2o way because i cannot afford a 5000$ turbo for a sled i didnt even pay that much for.but look on the thread about Kelsey's 860 vs pg turboes, bb can keep up

Premium Features

Back