• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Snug pull

D

DVarmit

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Apr 11, 2008
Alaska
Your the video queen aren't you LOL

That hill is a lot steeper than what it looks in that vid..

Well, I wish who those people are.... I rode by them on the way out, then realized that they have a dead sled, so I returned to the group (to offer help) and to see what and how they would do.... (Yes, I admit, I have a mean streak in me ;) ). They said they have tried to rope up before with different sleds, but that did not work, so they tried this one. The driver rode back and forth couple times on a flat land to make sure it stays attached and he went for it. Pretty impressive!

AKSNOWRIDER

Lifetime Membership
Dec 25, 2007
anchorage
we do them that way as well..but we turn the ski's around and we unload the torsion springs to lower the center of gravity(on the towed sled)..works real good ....

S

squirle

Jan 15, 2008
soldotna, Alaska
That was (letitsnow***907) I wasn't with them but he stands out in any picture. I left him a message on his cell to get on here and tell the story!!!

Reactions: Dash
E

EagleRiverDee

Dec 15, 2009
Eagle River, Alaska
I have a newbie question, I guess-- I'm sure there's a good reason for doing it this way but can someone tell me why not just disconnect the belt and pull out by tying onto the a-arms? Is it because there wasn't another person to steer or...? Or maybe to lose the drag of the track? Any education on why this was the chosen method is appreciated...who knows, I may be in that situation someday. Thanks. :)

L

Letitsnow***907

Jan 9, 2008
Soldotna, Alaska
Okay here it is; This is me pulling my son Jake's dead sled (broken crank?) up what we locals call V Max canyon. If you have ever been here you will never forget it, especially if you have ever had to pull a dead sled up her!! It is way steeper than the pictures and videos show. We have hooked two live sleds together to pull one dead one up before and it is very iffy to do that! Slope wants to pull you down to the left. This is accually the first time I have attempted a butt to butt pull and I was very impressed at how it works. the reason it works so well is because it puts all the weight on the live track & less resistance on the dead.
The thing you do not see in the video is my throttle was stuck wide open after I pinned it! The hottdogger came apart and stuck me open, I choose to hit the kill switch there or I would have been up and over the top!
We attempted to turn the skis around but the bolts were stuck in the spindles;( These polaris skies are turned up in the rear a little for reverse and so I decided to go for it. It was a pretty sweet victorious moment! Here are couple of pictures. thanks for the video Dash, Afterwards I was wishing we had a vid, now we do;) We pulled her out forward the rest of the way.
P1230535-1.jpg

P1230538.jpg

P1230532-1.jpg

P1230518-1.jpg

T

theultrarider

Nov 26, 2007
Soldotna Alaska
I have a newbie question, I guess-- I'm sure there's a good reason for doing it this way but can someone tell me why not just disconnect the belt and pull out by tying onto the a-arms? Is it because there wasn't another person to steer or...? Or maybe to lose the drag of the track? Any education on why this was the chosen method is appreciated...who knows, I may be in that situation someday. Thanks. :)

It is far easier to pull a dead sled like that. On a trail, you are correct with your method. But cross country in the powder or climbing hills you will get stuck easily. This method is also great for when you have something in the track or in the drive train break where the track will not turn. The hill in the video is know as V-max hill. We have hooked up 10-12 machines nose to tail to try to pull a dead sled up and out of there and still didn't get them over it. Most often when done in the video, a single machine can pull a sled up and out. Alot of the dead weight of the dead sled is on the running one to aid in traction, and it is that much less dead weight being pulled. This is about only way to get one out of the back country. Like was said above, take the time to pull the bolt that holds the ski on and turn them around backwards. Makes for a much easier time.

Last edited:
Reactions: EagleRiverDee
A

ak1000m

Nov 27, 2007
soldotna,alaska
I have done it same way

It is far easier to pull a dead sled like that. On a trail, you are correct with your method. Cross country in the powder and climbing hills you will get stuck easily. This method is also great for when you have something in the track or drive train break where the track will not turn. The hill in the video is know as V-max hill. We have hooked 10-12 machines nose to tail to try to pull a dead sled up and out of there. Most often when done in the video, a single machine can pull a sled up and out. Alot of the dead weight of the dead sled is on the running one to aid in traction, and is that much less dead weight being pulled. To only way to get one out of the back country. Like was said above, take the time to pull the bolt that holds the ski on and turn them around backwards. Makes for a much easier time.

We pulled a king cat with broken drive same way up v-max with a 2001 600 rmk pounds per square inch on the ground is amazing what you can do!:D

Premium Features