• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Snowmobile for pulling kids in a field

As the title suggests, I am looking for recommendations on a used snowmobile that would be ideal for pulling my grandkids in our field (10ish acres). I think I prefer air cooled 2 stroke, though I can be convinced to go 4 stroke, I just don't want it to be too heavy to get unstuck. Electric start is a must. Reliability is worth paying a little more for. Are there specific years and models anyone out there can recommend? I'm at 6,500ft and might consider taking it on groomed trails near my home though it's primary use will be from the garage to the field with occasional use.

Thank you for taking the time to reply. Any particular year you suggest?
Not right off hand no.
I would guess it will be a matter of AVAILABILITY
these have been out of production for many years now, but I suspect there are PLENTY of them for sale in the used market and probably quite affordable.

Don’t snub your nose at the old original fan-cooled phasers. A lot of them have electric start and are light weight for getting unstuck. They actually were Yamaha’s claim-to-fame for a revolutionary mountain sled. There are a lot of them sitting around collecting dust that could make someone a great kids sled for multiple reasons. Just saying.
I’ve had both the old 2-stroke and the newer 4-stroke. I’d rather have my kids(grandkids) on the old 2-srtroke.

First never pull a kid on a sled in less your going very slow . Sleds or plastic toboggans. Want to track straight and will tip over easy . Always use a saucer. They will glide over the snow and will make corners once the kids know how to lean . Only use a saucer in a field that is wide open if you into flinging them around . If you’re just going down a path then a flat plastic sled works . In light snow in a hay field I prefer a 4 wheeler. Deeper snow I used a Ski Doo 500 MX for years .

When they got older and more bold they wore a bike helmet and hockey chest protector. They are cheap and work just fine . Yes. All of them now have Tek Vest but when there growing each year you can pickup a hockey vest cheap.

Why not full face helmets ?? Well crashing and rolling for ten feet 6 times a day takes its toll on them . A good face mask and a bike helmet is easier and works . I’ll try to find pictures and post some .

Wow this was a long time ago . All my girls are married and have kids now . The grandkids will be next 👍

Attachments

• IMG_6016.jpeg
    IMG_6016.jpeg
    291.8 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_6015.jpeg
    IMG_6015.jpeg
    174.8 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_6014.jpeg
    IMG_6014.jpeg
    229 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_6013.jpeg
    IMG_6013.jpeg
    439.5 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_6012.jpeg
    IMG_6012.jpeg
    311.7 KB · Views: 9
Is there any other use for the sled your looking at?
Do ya haul wood, ice fish, or have a trail system near by?
There are so many good choices in my mind but the reality is you can only choose what available near you. unless you want to pay an extra 500 to ihaulsleds.com to ship one in.
If your strictly just pulling kids around I'd find a 500 cc fan cooled sled of any brand from 97 to current
Problem is most those older sleds get scrapped after the kids wore it completely out, or have just rotted out in the bushes and need work.

If you might like a little more utilitarian machine to add fishing or wood hauling to the mix, there is a whole category of those. Skidoo scandic, arctic cat bear cat, yamaha vk, polaris keeps changing their names.

If you want something you can cruise down a trail at extreme comfort there are touring sleds with two up seats that have passenger hand warmers and big windshields.

You best bet might be to post some links to what available around you. You definitely don't need a 2006 polaris 900. But you'll see one soon for $500

I you want air cooled you'll want it to be fan cooled as the old free-air machines still need decent airflow to cool properly. The 570 Arctic Cats from early-mid 2000s come to mind. they were available in many different models from short track trail, to touring, and even a mountain platform.

Premium Features

Back