• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Snow condition links?

D

DVarmit

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Apr 11, 2008
Alaska
You guys know I am new here and I appreciate all the help you have given me. I took a couple of avy courses. I took an actual field course were we went out in the field and did compression testing, looked at the layers etc.. It was a really good course and I strongly recommend it to anyone.

Anyways, I haven't really got into checking the conditions when I go out and ride. Quite honestly, I don't have that much powder time under my belt but I am working on it. So, I would like to get into the habit of checking the conditions before I go out. Can some of you guys send me some of the links you use to check conditions? I did some google searches and came up with what I think is were I need to be but some of them haven't been updated for a week or two. Is this normal? How often are they updated? Like I said, post any links you have. I would appreciate it!

S

stuckchuck

Feb 9, 2008
Mountain Home, ID
I think the best reports you'll get are on this forum. Someone has usually ridden the area you're planning on riding within the last couple days and has posted conditions. There's threads in here for all the major riding areas.

akstormin

Lifetime Membership
May 5, 2008
Eagle River, AK
The best Avalanche forecast/conditions website is www.cnfaic.org it is updated Wednesday thru Sunday and gives in depth info on the Turnagain Pass area. It covers current conditions and recent avalanche activity. It sometimes has info on other areas but that's not its main focus. For any other areas of the state you are going to have to rely on rider reports from this forum and your own knowledge from tracking the weather in a given area. There are lots of sites that give recent precip, wind and temps but you have to draw your own avalanche danger conclusion from there. Here is one I use a lot and it covers a lot of the state. Built for skiers but great info for snowmachines as well http://crust.outlookalaska.com/

Hope this helps. Storm

Premium Features