• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Slidekicks Vs Traditional Scratchers

B
Dec 31, 2009
Traditional Scratchers: The rigid metal design of a traditional scratcher, significantly reduces their durability. Numerous common and every day obstacles can easily break or bend traditional scratchers. Rocks, stumps, roads, bridges, trailers, all can catch and break scratchers in an instant. In addition, they do not have replaceable wear points, so as scratchers are used and worn down, they must be replaced in their entirety. Often at least a $50 investment.
SLIDEKICKS: The flexible design of the SLIDEKICKS allow them to flex and bend as needed to safely cross stumps, rocks, and man made objects without damage. Where a traditional scratcher is fixed in one position, the SLIDEKICKS can bent to any angle caused by unexpected objects. SLIDEKICKS also have replaceable wear points. So instead of replacing an entire set of scratchers, you can purchase our inexpensive wear points and replace them as needed. SLIDEKICKS are an investment that will save you money over the long term.

You can purchase them on:
www.icescratcher.com

Thanks for looking!

P

paularis600

Mar 1, 2008
Illinois
i did make a purchase of these. not alot of miles yet. the only thing i found is the the lock washer (mounted to rail) was not holding. had two come loose. resolved by putting on blue loc-tite. when not in use (hooked on rails) and playing in deep snow, they do have a tendency to fall off. otherwise so-far so-good.

A

Adrenaline Revolution

Nov 17, 2002
In the foothills of the Cascades
Although I don't think that the slidekicks are as indestructible as you claim, they are a good design and should work very well.
Here's the problem I have with mine that I had mounted at the end of last season and now after 2 rides with only about 30 miles on them.

They do not "Park" well on the rail which causes them to fall off the rail and in the case of a Ski-Doo product (Wider track) they can fall onto the track itself and cause a great deal of damage.
This is not what happened to mine, (Thank god) but they did fall down off of the rail numerous times during riding last Friday and although I checked them frequently I ended up loading my wife's sled onto the sled deck with one down and now she's missing the entire end of the slidekick.
Not just the replaceable curved part but the entire metal end due to a lack of tight crimping onto the black cable.
I have not had a problem with them turning as others have because I used loctite from the beginning but all I'm left with now on one side of her sled is the black, plastic encased cable.

I'm NOT bashing the product...I like the design a lot and I hope to get it guaranteed through the gentleman I bought them from.
He's a great guy to deal with.
(Still waiting to hear back from him)

This is only the second time I have personally heard of this happening with the slidekicks.
Both times they fell off the rail on their own and both times were ripped off while loading the sled.

Last edited:
S

sledheadjake

Aug 31, 2009
Bonners Ferry ID
I bought slidekickers also i like the design.On my first ride using them one side after a mile had ripped out where it was crimped(actually the metal that crimps on to the cable split .and the other side was just starting to split out also.So i called the company that makes them and they said that that problem has happened on a few of their products.All i had to do was take pictures of the broken scratchers and e mail them to them and they warrentied them for me.Their customer service is great i will definetly buy their products again.:)

R
Nov 27, 2007
Newport, WA
My buddy has the Slidekicks on his XP and he's not real impressed with them- they don't seem to work as well as traditional scratchers and they fall down own their own a lot (no track damage yet).
Me on the other hand, I have a set of Scorchers traditional style scratchers on my sled and I couldn't be happier. I have even backed up several times with them down and they have yet to get bent or damaged.

S

Spaarky

Oct 5, 2001
Chester, SD
I bought a set of sidekicks for the wifes sled. I know, she is going to back over the standards...... I hope, I am not dissapointed.

BossRev

Lifetime Membership
Dec 8, 2004
Pleasant Grove, Utah
I have the sidekicks, They work great(after a little loc tite);)

I never put them up, just keep them down 24/7. No problems.

S

sledheadjake

Aug 31, 2009
Bonners Ferry ID
I am going to go with the slidekickers in the last 2 rides 2 of my friends traditional ice scratchers have broke.and they were using them on the road for only a few miles and they were fairly new (1 1/2 years old)plus they have no warrenty when they fail.So they are out 100 dollars allready just by replacing them.

Summitseeker

Lifetime Membership
Dec 3, 2001
British Columbia
I am going to go with the slidekickers in the last 2 rides 2 of my friends traditional ice scratchers have broke.and they were using them on the road for only a few miles and they were fairly new (1 1/2 years old)plus they have no warrenty when they fail.So they are out 100 dollars allready just by replacing them.

I have been manufacturing the traditional spring style ice scratchers for years and actually offer a three month warranty. You can also mount the traditional style on a bracket then enable them to spin around so they will not break off when backing up. I have heard good things about the slidekicks as well.

MORSNO

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Eagle River, Alaska
I have the traditional style Holz scratchers on my sled and the 2nd generation (rigid black cables) Slidekicks installed with locktite on my wifes sled. The Slidekicks have maintained the same engine temps on the trails plus she can leave them down all the time and use reverse without having to stop and lift the traditional scratchers up. She never has to lift them, even when loading up on the trailer, and we've found that leaving them down keeps the cable from getting any memory/kinks from being bent up onto the rails. When/if I need to replace my traditional scratchers I'll definately be using the Slidekicks, I hate having to put them up, down, up, down, plus they kill my trailer decking when I forget :face-icon-small-fro

XFIRE800

Lifetime Membership
Feb 22, 2009
Aberdeen, SD
I thought these were a great idea and decided to get a set. Well they are, but they are just not built to last. In my first year on them at the end of the season i backed up and one of them broke off at the crimp. Took them in and got them warrantied. This year we had 2 sleds with them. 1st day of riding when we got snow at home- The slide kick on the left side was gone, the entire thing.... The other sled on its first ride lost one when it was in the parking lot driving up to the trailer (broke at the crimp) before it was near the ramp (10 ft away on flat hard pack snow.) Well even if they have a good warranty i don't see it being worth having to take them in and get them replaced after every ride then going home and installing the new ones. I am just going to try out some traditional scratchers and see if i like them better. The slidekicks are a great concept but just need to be built a little heavier. After some of the comments on here i am beginning to wonder if the slidekick that was still on my sled when i was in the hills had something to do with my track tearing. Im not saying that it did but it makes me wonder. I still had one slidekick on after i had lost the first one and i was doing some climbing and playing around in the powder, then got stuck doing an uphill turn. I looked at my track and noticed one of the windows was ripped out and a strip was peeled off the inside of the track. the slidekick had also fallen off the rail during my riding. I kind of doubt that the scratcher could have done that damage because of its weak design at the crimp though. It more than likely would have just broke off. I did hit a nasty stump a little while before that too.

Headrush

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 28, 2007
We all have them in our group and worked fine - no issues, just bought pair for my M8.

B
Dec 31, 2009
Thank you all very much for your comments! This is a testiment that Between the Lines Designs stands behind the warrenty on their Slidekicks. No man made product is going to be perfect, but no other icescratcher is able to contend with the Slidekicks in function and durability either. It has been proven that the manufacturer has a desire to produce a quality product, standing behind his full warrenty, not just a satisfaction warrenty.
This is not coming from a bias standpoint just because the manufacturer is my cousin :). I would not sell the product if I didn't believe in them!
The great thing about being family is I receive special pricing of which I am able to pass on to the customers! Check out our web site for the best price you can find at www.icescratcher.com! We are also on ebay.

SledGimp

Lifetime Membership
Dec 30, 2007
Heber, UT
I have been using the slidekicks for two seasons now and have had no issues. I you are having problems with them coming unhooked it may have something to do with where you have them mounted and if you find yourself needing locktight then you may just need to man up:D and crank them tighter mine have never come loose.

E
Dec 1, 2007
Flatlands of Iowa
On my 3rd set for 3 sleds . ..the problems come from not having the angle right to get the needed tension.. . instructions could maybe do a little better job on emphasizing that .. . .and use Loc-tite!!!! . .. . .and I'm not sure what you guys are talking about when you say they won't stay up. .. .they're kinda like a fire and forget about it missle . . .leave'em down .. . . .. the one area that will address that is getting them mounted in a spot where they will naturally stay hooked over your rail if you DO want to put them up . .. . . . there is some finessing needed to get them mounted in the right spot and right angle but when done correctly . .. . .nothing better!!! . . .. .of course . ..that's just my opinion.

Premium Features