• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Sled Head Racing 700 H.O. - WOW

I
Dec 14, 2001
Archer, Idaho
The wrist pin let go in my stock 600 Rev a few weeks ago, so I went with Big John's small bore motor as a replacement. I had always wondered if a snappy 700 ish motor(670cc) would satisfy my needs as a mountain sled. I can honestly say this is what I have always wanted. The instant throttle response and low end grunt combined with my sled set-up makes this a perfect combination for all my needs other than Epic Deep Snow. Even in the 2-3 feet of deep snow last weekend, it was neck and neck with all the other sleds and was a pure joy to ride.

Now here's the impressive part IMHO,;

The motor was installed last wednesday with Johns recommended jetting, gearing & clutching, I scrambled to get some break in miles before the cluster-gathering of Team Talkers Saturday in Afton. Was only able to put 29 miles on, checked plugs & heat cycled/cooled the motor 4 times. Then Saturday morning pinned it WFO almost all day long the next 2 days at elevations from 7500-10,000 and made Not ONE change in jetting, the plugs are perfect and the motor never missed a beat. Our initial clutching and gearing was spot on, and only required adjusting clickers up or down. Pretty impressive for someone who lives at 500' elevation and 1200 miles from the mountains I think.

Best of all the motor LIVES!!!!!!!

I am surprised there are not more sleddars who take this option, I highly recommend this motor and of course Sled Head Racing. If you are a DOO rider and looking for high output from a small motor and instant throttle response for all around riding conditions, this is your motor!

John, thanx for all your patience and help with my endless questions, this sled absolutely screams!:cool:

Last edited:
S
Dec 3, 2007
columbus mt
Did you put a 700 reed engine in your rev or a 670?

I have been around a lot of different stock bored 600's 700's and 800's with porting and pipes ( all brands ) but nothing runs like a rotary valve :) Yes there is no replacement for displacement but for a 700 class engine they do quite well for being 10 years old :beer;

In my opinion all the newer 800's don't have to run as hard as the older iron to go well in the pow. I think the newer chassis and set ups are so much more efficient that they are getting away with less power stock. a.k.a. The newer sleds can high mark and out maneuver old s chassis sleds because they handle better but for pull the trigger and hold on the rotary valve is still my main ride in the hills.
jon

X

Xrider

Jul 9, 2001
Montana
I have one, its our back up

p.s. ........ STOCK ????? hehehehe
So are they both XP's? By stock I mean "mostly stock";).
Anyway sounds like a cool project. Just seems like a lot of trouble to get a 600 to run like an 800.:confused:

F

frog

Feb 16, 2009
MN
Did you put a 700 reed engine in your rev or a 670?

I have been around a lot of different stock bored 600's 700's and 800's with porting and pipes ( all brands ) but nothing runs like a rotary valve :) Yes there is no replacement for displacement but for a 700 class engine they do quite well for being 10 years old :beer;

In my opinion all the newer 800's don't have to run as hard as the older iron to go well in the pow. I think the newer chassis and set ups are so much more efficient that they are getting away with less power stock. a.k.a. The newer sleds can high mark and out maneuver old s chassis sleds because they handle better but for pull the trigger and hold on the rotary valve is still my main ride in the hills.
jon

It is a 600 big bore kit from BJ, a little porting and larger slugs and away you go.

BIG JOHN

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Minnesoooota
Shr700ho

The motor is built off of the 2003-2005 600HO carb...uses 670HO 2 ring cast pistons...ported to my spec. and uses a modified stock head (RKT head is optional for more power)...

The point is a REV 600HO can run with all the new iron (Slims plan)...the base 700HO kit is $1595...add a 144/16/2.25 or like Slim did a 146/16/2.25 and you have quit the sleeper...

Thanks Slim...its just as impressive down here with a 121" track and studs!!-BJ

Can be built off the 600SDI you just need a Boondocker box/gauges to dial in...

Last edited:

HOOTS

Premium Member
Nov 28, 2007
S.W MN
I know exactly what you're saying. Did same build with BJ & stuck it in an 04 Gade I've been rebuilding. Took it out to Cooke a cpl weeks ago on its maiden mtn voyage. WOW! Fun sled. I'm pulling a 150x16x21/2 extreme with it & my 08 XP 163 & buds 09 dragon 163 had a hard time staying with it. It is alittle torque monster & with my 165 lb son on it, was highmarking our 163s. John's suggested gearing/clutching was spot on. I've had a few BB's & misc ported motors but this build is something else, just plain fun.

BIG JOHN

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Minnesoooota
I know exactly what you're saying. Did same build with BJ & stuck it in an 04 Gade I've been rebuilding. Took it out to Cooke a cpl weeks ago on its maiden mtn voyage. WOW! Fun sled. I'm pulling a 150x16x2 1/2 extreme with it & my 08 XP 163 & buds 09 dragon 163 had a hard time staying with it. It is alittle torque monster & with my 165 lb son on it, was highmarking our 163s. John's suggested gearing/clutching was spot on. I've had a few BB's & misc ported motors but this build is something else, just plain fun.

Thats even better!! the 700HO is a fun/reliable motor combo...BJ

I
Dec 14, 2001
Archer, Idaho
CHEATER!!!!!!!!!

Glad to hear it working well for you. I'm starting to think BJ knows his stuff ;)

Thanx Reeber, that aint even the half of it, just finally got my TEAM bolts removed (stripped) and found out I was on the shallower helix!! OH my!!!:eek::eek: Even better performance expected this weekend!!! sweeeet.:D

BIG JOHN

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Minnesoooota
The wrist pin let go in my stock 600 Rev a few weeks ago, so I went with Big John's small bore motor as a replacement. I had always wondered if a snappy 700 ish motor(670cc) would satisfy my needs as a mountain sled. I can honestly say this is what I have always wanted. The instant throttle response and low end grunt combined with my sled set-up makes this a perfect combination for all my needs other than Epic Deep Snow. Even in the 2-3 feet of deep snow last weekend, it was neck and neck with all the other sleds and was a pure joy to ride.

Now here's the impressive part IMHO,;

The motor was installed last wednesday with Johns recommended jetting, gearing & clutching, I scrambled to get some break in miles before the cluster-gathering of Team Talkers Saturday in Afton. Was only able to put 29 miles on, checked plugs & heat cycled/cooled the motor 4 times. Then Saturday morning pinned it WFO almost all day long the next 2 days at elevations from 7500-10,000 and made Not ONE change in jetting, the plugs are perfect and the motor never missed a beat. Our initial clutching and gearing was spot on, and only required adjusting clickers up or down. Pretty impressive for someone who lives at 500' elevation and 1200 miles from the mountains I think.

Best of all the motor LIVES!!!!!!!

I am surprised there are not more sleddars who take this option, I highly recommend this motor and of course Sled Head Racing. If you are a DOO rider and looking for high output from a small motor and instant throttle response for all around riding conditions, this is your motor!

John, thanx for all your patience and help with my endless questions, this sled absolutely screams!:cool:

FYI- My motor uses 670HO pistons but CC's out at 700...NOT a 670...hence the SHR700HO..BJ;)

T

trinitypowder

Nov 26, 2007
The Minnysoda man builds good stuff boys. Keep it quiet though, or everyone will have a SHR motor and I won't be able to highmark every Tom, Dick, and Harry I run across! :beer;:beer; here's to Big John

Premium Features