• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Sled Deck and Towing Enclosed Trailer

B
Nov 12, 2013
Hey Guys,

I am looking to buy a sled deck. Wondering if I should go the 7 ft option or the 8 ft. I have a F350 short box (6.5 ft box). My sled is a 163 pro rmk. I know having the extra length on the deck would be better for the 163, but is it really needed? Was also wonering if it is possible to tow an enclosed trailer with the 8ft deck? I know it depends on the tongue length, but as a general consensus, have you guys been able to tow an enclosed with the 8ft deck? Any information is really appreciated!

die hard poo

Lifetime Membership
Apr 10, 2008
Kenai, AK
I have a FLM 8' deck on my Dmax 6.5' bed and tow a trailer with it. BUT I installed the Super Hitch receiver with their truss extension. The hitch is designed for cab-over campers to extend the receiver due to the over hang. It is a spendy setup, but it's the proper way to extend your hitch receiver. I have the 4' extension for mine since the sleds stick out about that far from my bumper, but I think I could get away with a shorter extension though. Here's a pic of my set up. I of course have bags on my truck as well.

Last edited:

Devilmanak

Premium Member
Dec 12, 2007
Donnelly, ID
Die Hard, that is a very cool setup. I like the extension. Does it tow funny? I know my Excursion with the long overhang behind the wheels doesn't like heavy tows, it pushes the truck left and right.

I have an 05 F350 longbox crew with the large deck. Toyup. I could not put my 162 sleds in the middle and tow my enclosed. I actually banged my 146 Freeride bumper on the front of my trailer going up a little hill, with it in the middle.
I have to watch turning, backing up I have to be really really careful. It will actually go quite a ways before hitting the deck to trailer, but it is hard to see.
My opinion is that there is no reason to have sleds on the deck AND in an enclosed in most situations. If my enclosed is not big enough, I will get a bigger one, or just use the deck. The only exception is if you need to drive a long way with many sleds. Otherwise, unhooking to unload the deck is a huge pain. The only reason I had a sled on my deck with my trailer is because I tend to leave my sleds up there, for certain reasons. (See pic, lol.) And if I need to run to the shop to pick something up with a trailer, I just hook up and go, but have to be careful.
I thought about bailing on the deck this year, but it is nice to be able to get in certain places where you can't with a trailer. (Like chasing snow up logging roads in the spring.)
The other exception would be Die Hard's setup, with a camper trailer.

003.jpg 001.jpg

Last edited:
B
Nov 12, 2013
I was thinking of a situation with a smaller enclosed trailer, 2-3 place enclosed, or even with a small open deck 2 place trailer, with 2 sleds on the deck as well. Would I run into problems with this scenario?

line8

Lifetime Membership
Feb 20, 2008
West of East
Very easy with an open. The tongue is longer on mine. 2 on the deck and 2 on the trailer. Easier offloading the sled deck also. Ramp down to the trailer deck, then drive off the trailer.

D

Danbot

Nov 29, 2007
Alberta, Canada
You have to learn to drive cautiously with the hitch extensions.... One of my good friends has a new f 350 king ranch air bagged and very well set up for heavy hauling. He extended the hitch to occasionally haul a light 3 place enclosed behind his deck. It pushes the rear axle around in strange ways sometimes. Always makes me nervous.

longlugs

Lifetime Membership
Oct 30, 2013
Northern Utah
I would think it would not matter on an open place because they would be low enough but not positive.

Not answering OP's question, but no problem with open trailer with 7' deck and 155" sleds. Longer deck/sleds would not be an issue. A v-nose enclosed trailer was a no-go. A lower slant nose enclosed trailer may work as well.

picture.php

X

XP Summit

Nov 26, 2007
Minneapolis, MN
I have towed with a Duramax Crew Short with sled deck and both 1 and 2 sleds on the deck with a enclosed inline 4 place and 8 wide enclosed 4 place. You can make it work but you have to kick the back end of the 146 or 155 almost to the very edge of the deck and in both cased still banged up the trailer. I have also put one 154 XP up there sideways and it still touched the trailer if you where not very, very careful in pulling into gas stations or off/on ramps.

die hard poo

Lifetime Membership
Apr 10, 2008
Kenai, AK
Die Hard, that is a very cool setup. I like the extension. Does it tow funny? I know my Excursion with the long overhang behind the wheels doesn't like heavy tows, it pushes the truck left and right.

I have an 05 F350 longbox crew with the large deck. Toyup. I could not put my 162 sleds in the middle and tow my enclosed. I actually banged my 146 Freeride bumper on the front of my trailer going up a little hill, with it in the middle.
I have to watch turning, backing up I have to be really really careful. It will actually go quite a ways before hitting the deck to trailer, but it is hard to see.
My opinion is that there is no reason to have sleds on the deck AND in an enclosed in most situations. If my enclosed is not big enough, I will get a bigger one, or just use the deck. The only exception is if you need to drive a long way with many sleds. Otherwise, unhooking to unload the deck is a huge pain. The only reason I had a sled on my deck with my trailer is because I tend to leave my sleds up there, for certain reasons. (See pic, lol.) And if I need to run to the shop to pick something up with a trailer, I just hook up and go, but have to be careful.
I thought about bailing on the deck this year, but it is nice to be able to get in certain places where you can't with a trailer. (Like chasing snow up logging roads in the spring.)
The other exception would be Die Hard's setup, with a camper trailer.

No it doesn't push or anything. I do have a weight distribution hitch with sway control built in which helps a ton. Obviously it handles slightly different than if it were right on the back of the truck, but I never felt it push or feel uneasy. I drove this setup with a 2' extension from Kamloops, BC to AK where I bought the deck with that 35' travel trailer with no issues at all. If setup correctly, the system works. With the deck expanded out however, the 3-4' ext would give the most clearance for turning. That was my biggest worry. Even with the 4' ext. you can still touch the trailer to the deck if you're not paying attention turning around in a parking lot. It's all about having the correct hitch and receiver and bags.

OnlyPolaris

Lifetime Membership
Feb 27, 2009
Lloydminster, Alberta, Canada
I have an 8' deck on my 08 f350 with the 6.5' box. I pull an enclosed trailer all the time with a normal length hitch. There is no way it would work with a sled on the deck unless you put it at an angle. You also have to watch when. Turning sharp. The back corner of the deck could contact the trailer. Usually only as issue when your trying to park the trailer or something like that.

Premium Features