• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Sled deck and dogs

R
Nov 27, 2007
Newport, WA
I'm considering selling my 2 place open trailer and replacing it with a sled deck. My problem is when we are travelling for the holidays we always bring our dogs with us, and it seems kind of cruel to shove them under the sled deck for a long drive. One dog is a good sized dog, about 110 lbs lab/German sheperd cross and the other one is a smaller lab/heeler cross. Anyone ever try this before?

Mafesto

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Northeast SD
I know a guy who had an avalanche.
He cut 2 holes in the bed cover just large enough for his labs to stick their head through.

Looked pretty funny, but the dogs liked it.

I don't see any reason you couldn't do that to a sled deck.

M

modsledr

Nov 26, 2007
Western WA
Personally, I would never subject my dogs to this for a long drive (which is what you described). If my dogs are part of the equation, they are more important to me than the inconvenience of towing a trailer.

my2c.

P
Dec 7, 2007
Mill Creek, WA
while I dont have any dogs, I do have a sled deck. I understand that I have no idea how you travel, but one thing I have noticed is that the deck idea is great for short day-trips, but if we went on a destination sled ride, an enclosed trailer is a great idea to store gear, etc. It's amazing how much storage you loose with the deck. Also, most of the decks I have seen, use a frame below the deck for support, and that alone, costs you a lot of storage space. I built mine, in a manner so I can fill the underside with rubbermaid storage boxes, and fuel jugs, and we still fill the cab with stuff when we go ride. I guess all im really saying is you don't have much space to fit your doggies if you switch to a deck, that's the drawback, no space.

R
Nov 27, 2007
Newport, WA
Thanks for the input guys. The thought of my dog's heads poking through the deck made me laugh :D I mostly want to ditch the 2 place because I get tired of blown tires in the middle of nowhere. Right now we are in southern OR and usually go up to north central WA to ride, but this fall we are re-locating to just above Spokane so our commute will be shrinking. I have thought about an enclosed as well, but it just doesn't seem practical for where we ride, although if we do start taking trips with friends to other spots it would be nice. I also worry about the increased fuel consumption with the enclosed compared to the 2 place (diesel is already expensive enough dammit). My dogs would probably deal with riding under the deck, but it does seem kind of cruel to stuff them in that little space. Letting them ride in the cab is out also, that's where the four of us ride (2 kids, the wife and I) plus the dayum dogs fart too much.

M

modsledr

Nov 26, 2007
Western WA
Polar Express makes another great point...with 4 people in the cab, all of the gear has to go under the deck...pretty much eliminates the space for dogs, so its kind of a moot point.

R

RideGuy

Jan 28, 2005
B.C.
Not much room under the deck when you slide in your ramps..... I wouldn't do it.... My hounds also ride shotgun....

Griff

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
If a dog crate will fit under your deck, put dogs in crate under deck, put insulated kennel cover on crates and dogs will be riding in style. The thing to remember about dogs is they can take a ton of cold but an ounce of heat will kill them.

O

Oregongirl

Jul 25, 2002
Highlands Ranch, Colorado
With the cost of diesel, it might be cheaper to get a set of sleds stored up there and a set stored here. ;) But seriously, maybe you could tie down the kennels on the top of the deck (between the sleds) and wrap them in the insulated covers. We often put the gas cans and the cooler on the deck.

R
Nov 27, 2007
Newport, WA
Darn dog starts shivering at 72 degrees. We strap him to the deck and he wouldn't make it to the end of the block. I'm so proud....
LOL :D I like the idea of 2 sets of sleds- are you gonna help with the funding Oregongirl? :D Kennels on the deck isn't a bad idea if we end up getting a deck either.

Premium Features