• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Important >>> Ski-Doo Summit 850 TURBO OEM at long last!!!!!!

Post number 92 has been selected as best answered.

Scott

Scott Stiegler
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 1998
W Mont
I don’t think you can adjust anything it’s setup to deliver 165 hp from sea level to 8,000 ft. After that it will deliver 40 hp over a normal 850. So no clutch adjustment needed until you are riding above 8,000 ft.

Looking at the actuator arm, it looked adjustable.
Maybe I'm wrong.

I understand the "no adjustment needed".
My Polaris 850 Sidekick is the same. They designed it to make the target HP at all elevations, hence the reason for not having to adjust to clutching etc when you are making elevation changes.
They are not designed to make a target boost number.

B
Feb 18, 2009
how would a guy modify the system to not turn down the fun past 8k, that is the question.
Yamaha makes 55 more horse than this thing at the top of the rockies. And known to be reliably cranked up much further.

It's not that you need to turn down anything but you need to produce more boost and the turbo may not be designed for that.

ryanjeri

Lifetime Membership
Feb 20, 2008
ID
The 1 year warranty is what is preventing me from buying it today. If it came with 3 or 4 year, as most snow check sleds do I would have one on friday.
But as it stands I will pass on this initial offering and wait for a snow check option.

Ace Freely

Lifetime Membership
Jul 6, 2002
Wenatchee, WA
The 1 year warranty is what is preventing me from buying it today. If it came with 3 or 4 year, as most snow check sleds do I would have one on friday.
But as it stands I will pass on this initial offering and wait for a snow check option.

....a 4 year warranty would say a lot about BRP's confidence in this endeavor...

...seems to me if you are willing to be a Guinea pig and pay 18k, they should reward you with a longer warranty!

Ace

Escmanaze

Lifetime Membership
Dec 8, 2007
USA
You must ride down low. :LOL:

Weird flex but...ok...? Yeah, I guess I ride "down low". Dude I ride where I ride. I ride in the mountains that I live close to...like most of us. Here in Utah, most of the snow is found from about 8,000 feet up to about 11,000 feet. The elevations I ride are pretty much the exact target customer area for what Ski-Doo has released.

Apparently you live somewhere that the elevations are significantly higher? And I should therefore look up to you in all your glorious manliness? I'm really not sure if this is what you're saying? This is my best guess anyway?

I guess if you love getting up above the treeline on your 250 HP Yamaha turbo and ripping up chutes all day, then good on you. But if you don't recognize that the overall western market has become in the last 10 years something that is drastically different, then I can only guess that its because of just completely willful ignorance. Are you trying to suggest that Yamahas are still relevant in the west with their 2% market share, their 1 available model, and their pre-order only sale of that 1 model? Is this what you're trying to say? I really can't decipher exactly what you're trying to say. I didn't feel like I was being controversial at all to say that Yamaha is irrelevant in the west these days. Maybe you have an argument to make to the contrary?

sno*jet

Premium Member
Dec 13, 2007
calm down escamanaze. people do ride chutes and climb hills still. not everyone all about buradnt wanna-be GoPro style riding. I wouldn't buy a heavier doo for that anyways. might work good here tho!

D
Mar 13, 2014
Weird flex but...ok...? Yeah, I guess I ride "down low". Dude I ride where I ride. I ride in the mountains that I live close to...like most of us. Here in Utah, most of the snow is found from about 8,000 feet up to about 11,000 feet. The elevations I ride are pretty much the exact target customer area for what Ski-Doo has released.

Apparently you live somewhere that the elevations are significantly higher? And I should therefore look up to you in all your glorious manliness? I'm really not sure if this is what you're saying? This is my best guess anyway?

I guess if you love getting up above the treeline on your 250 HP Yamaha turbo and ripping up chutes all day, then good on you. But if you don't recognize that the overall western market has become in the last 10 years something that is drastically different, then I can only guess that its because of just completely willful ignorance. Are you trying to suggest that Yamahas are still relevant in the west with their 2% market share, their 1 available model, and their pre-order only sale of that 1 model? Is this what you're trying to say? I really can't decipher exactly what you're trying to say. I didn't feel like I was being controversial at all to say that Yamaha is irrelevant in the west these days. Maybe you have an argument to make to the contrary?

Holy **** buddy I was joking. Hence the cute little laugh face. I ride in Utah also.

RMK-King

Super-Moderator
Dec 25, 2007
North Dakota
The exhaust and intake bypass is more of a game changer than the actual turbo. (And oem level integration/ component longevity. )

Speaking of the intake bypass there hasn't been many pics or info posted about that yet. Looks like the intake works just like a stock intake would until the exhaust gas spools the turbo creating boost, then the compressed air will push back on the spring loaded plunger valve sealing the air box feeding the engine pure boosted air. Let off the gas the plunger opens and lets atmospheric air back in giving you that instant N/A throttle response. Makes me wonder how well this setup would work on a aftermarket high psi kit.

Screen Shot 2020-01-14 at 9.27.34 PM.png

Last edited:

tinkerjohnson

Premium Member
Dec 12, 2008
Southern utah
It is not 40 HP more. It's the way they are marketing it that makes you guys think that. It's only 40 HP more than stock of they are side by side at 12,500'. I talk to Tony about it tonight. This is a huge gimmick and only worth it if you ride over 10,000'. It's the same sled as stock until you get over 8,000'.
your wrong it makes 165 up to 8,000 ft. You are loosing 40 hp at at 8,000 compared to sea level. So it adjusts boost to keep the sled making 165 hp after that say 10,000 ft it will probably make 155 hp which is still 40 hp more than a naturally aspirated 850 that's making 115 hp at 10,000 ft. It's not rocket science.

S
Feb 2, 2017
Looking at the actuator arm, it looked adjustable.
Maybe I'm wrong.

I understand the "no adjustment needed".
My Polaris 850 Sidekick is the same. They designed it to make the target HP at all elevations, hence the reason for not having to adjust to clutching etc when you are making elevation changes.
They are not designed to make a target boost number.
So what happens if a guy were to add hp to the motor? Say he added 15hp. Would the turbo system then maintain this higher baseline hp at altitude?

Premium Features