• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Side Panel Fitment Problem

D
Jul 31, 2012
I just bought a 2011 Pro 800. It has low miles and looks great other than one annoyance, the right side panel is not fitting correctly. I don't think that anything structural is bent, but that is just me eyeballing it. I got this from a friend of a friend and I think he is being pretty honest with me and would not sell me something he wrapped around a tree and then straightened out. Then again you never know. Anyways, is this a common problem. Is there some adjustment I don't know about? Should I be looking for some bent frame parts?

Thanks

IMG_0528.jpg

Avi8tormd

Premium Member
May 31, 2008
BOISE, IDAHO
You need to install the back part of the side panel first. Do you see those two silver plastic keepers or tabs? Those are supposed to go behind the panel that your knee rides against.

tdblakes

Lifetime Membership
Feb 2, 2010
You need to install the back part of the side panel first. Do you see those two silver plastic keepers or tabs? Those are supposed to go behind the panel that your knee rides against.

X2

tuck the tabs in :face-icon-small-coo

R
Dec 28, 2009
Lynnwood, Wa
Check how the panels lay across the hood. I have warped/cracked panels. I am not entirely impressed with how they hold up to some abuse, but looks like yours has an easy solution.

D
Jul 31, 2012

I have made sure that the tabs are tucked in and pushed in properly. As soon as I stop pushing on it, they pop right back out. Sounds like I may need to drill a hole and add another clip thing.

It seems like the panel is just too tall and is bowed out between the top and bottom tabs.

turbolover

Enduring the heat till Braap Season
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Jul 4, 2001
Rigby, Idaho
The panel is not installed correctly. Both of those tabs are not in the correct place and it is probably not in place correctly on the bottom.
(its easy to mis one of the many on there)

Check all of the tabs and install the rear of the panel from the bottom up then forward.
If it still doesn't stay in place something is bent or out of whack on it and needs to be straightened.

Avi8tormd

Premium Member
May 31, 2008
BOISE, IDAHO
Tuck in the tabs. Fasten the back top fastener first and then go fasten the front. If the panel is warped, heat it up and try to reshape it.

D
Jul 31, 2012
Tuck in the tabs. Fasten the back top fastener first and then go fasten the front. If the panel is warped, heat it up and try to reshape it.

Whats the best way to heat it up? I used to bend plastic using the microwave but I don't think the panel will fit. Maybe a heat gun?

I have tried putting this thing on a hundred different ways. I wish is was just a matter of me being stupid (I know the tabs are supposed to go underneath) but I think something may be bent.

Avi8tormd

Premium Member
May 31, 2008
BOISE, IDAHO
Use a heat gun, get it warm, install it with the tabs tucked in and if it still wants to pop out, tape it to the knee panel until it cools down and retains the correct shape.

owenb2

Lifetime Membership
Mar 8, 2010
wyo
Pull the center hood, and check the front bumper. I tapped a tree last year nothing looked bent until I popped my clutch side panel off and it wouldn't go back on correctly.

Premium Features