• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

show me the ropes in the Tahoe area ?

I see I'm late to the party...I just picked up my 2023 Backcountry XRS and I'm looking to find riding buddies to show me the trails/play areas around Tahoe. I live in Folsom, so Hope Valley is the closest but I do want to hit up LTS as soon as there's snow as well. My father built two cabins in Meyers in the 70s, but we sold them when we moved to VT a long time ago. I grew up on Ski Doos in SLT but I was too young to recall much of the trail system there. Looking for someone to show me the ways once we get snow in the near future.

i rode Hope Valley sometimes, send me a message with your email and we can connect. I only know a couple of people to ride with currently, but will probably also try to connect to the Lake Tahoe Snowmobile group this year. Mt Rose is pretty good too, and not much farther from you.

It appears it wont let me PM you because I have the free version membership. I joined the LTS club a week ago. I'll def reach out here when the snow hits. I'm excited to break in my new sled, but don't want to risk a-arm season. Hopefully we get this La Niña NOAA keps talking about sooner than later.

I've already booked my lodge for West Yellowstone for January and looking to spend a few days in the Mt Shasta area exploring that 260 mile trail/off trail area when winter hits. I'll hit Mammoth hopefully before Xmas too.

sounds good. yeah, i don't know how the PM's work, i think i used the chat last time to connect. which seems to be not really different than posting in thread.
but anyway, it's not like the spam bots don't already know my email address.
hit me up at andy.carman33@gmail.com

as for pre-season things to do, check out 'polaris ride command' app for your phone. it's a ride tracker/playback app, but IIRC it also allows group ride setup to keep track of your group members in real time. Try it out driving your car around or something.

I am also a member of LTS. They have meet-up rides every third Saturday throughout the season. Been a member for two years, hit and miss as far as hooking up with riding partners. I am not on Facebook so that could be a reason as most of the club members go through that to communicate. Part of the reason why I am back on Sno-west is that I have always had good luck here, most riders are all about the ride which is what I am about. The club focuses on other things, which is not really my thing

sounds good. yeah, i don't know how the PM's work, i think i used the chat last time to connect. which seems to be not really different than posting in thread.
but anyway, it's not like the spam bots don't already know my email address.
hit me up at andy.carman33@gmail.com

as for pre-season things to do, check out 'polaris ride command' app for your phone. it's a ride tracker/playback app, but IIRC it also allows group ride setup to keep track of your group members in real time. Try it out driving your car around or something.
I think I saw someone post their ride playback. I figured you had to have a Polaris to use the app. I think BRP has an app too…maybe it also records your rides? IDK. Good idea to play around with it now.

There are quite a few riders active here, which is great to see. My first couple of rides out will be break in runs, so I may not be the most fun to ride with off the bat. I'll post when I'm heading out anyway. It looks like more snow the first few days of December. Let's hope it's enough to ride without worrying about landmines.

yeah, the app is totally independent of the sled. what's nice is that it's so simple, and it has the offroad trail maps, not just a gps tracker with a map.

my experience with hope valley is that it's decent for mixed skills groups. Although i've seen some pretty epic off trail map tracks posted on the polaris app, for the most part it's mainly fire roads in and out, with lots of various optional meadows along the way with various levels of difficulty. Careful on the fire roads, they run packs of tourists there....they seem well behaved as for lane discipline, but they are out there.

don't worry about skill level. Frankly, my sled is too big for me, i wish i'd have bought the 154. Maybe it wouldn't matter, i don't know. i'll keep fighting with it.
For the CA side, get a snopass: https://ohv.parks.ca.gov/?page_id=1233

yeah, the app is totally independent of the sled. what's nice is that it's so simple, and it has the offroad trail maps, not just a gps tracker with a map.

my experience with hope valley is that it's decent for mixed skills groups. Although i've seen some pretty epic off trail map tracks posted on the polaris app, for the most part it's mainly fire roads in and out, with lots of various optional meadows along the way with various levels of difficulty. Careful on the fire roads, they run packs of tourists there....they seem well behaved as for lane discipline, but they are out there.

don't worry about skill level. Frankly, my sled is too big for me, i wish i'd have bought the 154. Maybe it wouldn't matter, i don't know. i'll keep fighting with it.
For the CA side, get a snopass: https://ohv.parks.ca.gov/?page_id=1233
I'm glad I got the 154 (not that the Backcountry has a 165/175 option). It's been 30 years since I've sledded with any regularity. When I walked into the showroom last winter, I couldn't understand how people maneuver those 165s around. They're so massive. And I'm 6-2. The 154 seems like the sweet spot for me, especially considering I want on and off trail capabilities.

I dl the BRP and Polaris apps both. That flyover feature on the Polaris app is awesome. It doesn't appear that the BRP app has built in off road trail maps, but I didn't mess with it much.

I already have my annual SnoPark pass ready to go. And my Idaho and Montana non-res permits for my trip in Jan.

Happy TG everyone.

From the looks of posts from late last season and recently, there seem to be a few newer snowmobile riders here. I have two rides under my belt now this season, but haven't ridden in 30 years. Still breaking in the new sled, but looking for others to ride LTS this coming Sunday. I want to get some miles in on the trails and get the lay of the land, but also play a bit in the open meadows. I'm a novice for sure, so venturing up into the steep and deep isn't on my list for now. I may be boring for some veterans, but if you are looking to get out and ride, I'm cool playing and hanging in the meadows while you run the hills. I have avy pack, radio, shovel, probe, no formal avy training. I rode twice now with people from the LTS club, but I don't think they like riding with such new talent. haha They're shredders and I'm much too mellow for them it seems. Anyway, LTS prob 9am Sunday I'll be heading out. Let me know if anyone wants to join.

Might be storming Sunday to venture out to LTS. When it is like that, I will ride locally at Dog Valley in case roads get closed or we have to turn back. Plus, Verdi has some cool bar& grills for after the ride.

Skidoowoo- I know LTS is popular but it is not the only riding around there and certainly not my favorite. Gold Lakes is incredible riding north of thrre as well as Yuba Pass. Be sure and try those places this season, you'll be glad you did.

I checked the forecast for LTS…so far it looks like 50% chance of 1.9” on Sun vs 60% chance of 10” on Sat. Figured Sunday was the better day. If it’s too stormy by end of week I’ll prob pass. But for now it appears to be ok Sunday.

Yuba Pass def on my list. Never heard of Gold Lakes, but I’ll check it out. Thank you!

Also, I’ve heard of Prosser. What’s the lowdown on there?

I'm heading out to Hope Valley in the morning. Decided not to deal with Bay Area drivers on 80 after today's storm. I have yet to make a run from the parking area on Blue Lakes Rd out to Blue Lakes, so tomorrow will be the day. I'll arrive at the parking lot around 8:30am. If anyone wants to meet up, shoot me a text at 209-257-4122. - Ryan

That would have been an excellent choice , South cleared up faster weather/clouds wise and sun came out !
Must be some who went, maybe some epic ride vid ?
did you put some time on sled, have a good time ?

It was an epic fail. They closed 88 at 89. Not opening 88 to Blue Lakes Rd until Tuesday...confirmed by a buddy of mine with the CHP. Note to self: no matter how badly you want to ride, when it's dumping, just stay home and wait a few days. I'm heading back up there this Friday for sure.

Is anyone available to ride this coming Tuesday 12/20 at LTS? I have some things to pick up at Tom's then I'll ride for a few hours. Still breaking in the sled and looking to get to know the area.

Premium Features

Back