• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Seward HWY Avy

Avalanche closes Seward Highway south of Girdwood

Posted: March 27, 2009 12:57 PM

Updated: March 27, 2009 12:57 PM

by Channel 2 News staff
Friday, March 27, 2000

ANCHORAGE, Alaska -- An avalanche has forced a closure of the Seward Highway just south of Girdwood, according to the Alaska State Troopers.

Traffic is stopped in both directions at Mile 85, which is about two miles south of the turnoff to Girdwood, and the highway could be closed for two to three hours, according to a trooper press release.

A Department of Transportation crew was at the scene cleaning up the road at about 12:30 p.m.

I called Redy2ride at 1:30 to tell them. He didn't get the message until he was sitting in traffic.....Sorry R2R, could have rode a couple more hours;)
I just talked to him again and sounds like they pushed opening it until 5pm. They are getting the info from the troopers on 750AM.

i got about 4 miles past girdwood and was stoped by a state trucking sitting in the road telling me and one other car infront of me that we would have to wait due to the avy crew shooting them down . so we sat there from 11:25 to 12:30 we watches 2 small ones slide down and thought no big deal and then about 3/4 mile down the road they triggered a big one and thats when they said the road wont be open any sooner than 5:00 so there went my day for riding. i will admit it was one of the coolest things ive ever seen they are so darn powerfull to anything in its path..... so on that note please be safe this weekend with anything you do
later
dan

Captured this image on the 511 web site. The D.O.T. gun crew coming out of Portage Glacier road around 5:00 this evening. Looks like they were busy today

Vid-000351000-00-00-2009-03-28-01-3.jpg

Last edited:
I just watched the news and they said the road wouldn't be open until Monday? What's up with that? That would suck for those heading to Placier and the Kenai.

Actually Doug, that is GREAT NEWS for those of us who live on THIS side of the slides!!!! :D

Do you sit in front of that computer the entire time you are home? Loo should take that thing away from you and make you study more. How are you ever going to graduate playing on the computer all day long. :rolleyes:

You may have heard them talking about the Rail Road. Looks like it slid pretty bad where we were riding last week.
Bottomfeeder, careful calling people out as far as being wrong....I am sure you have never been wrong on here:rolleyes:

Now that you mention it Robert, that is what they said on the channel 11 news. The train that got trapped yesterday will be there until atleast Monday. Be wise out there this weekend guys. Maybe having to work tommorrow is a good thing for me :confused:

I think I am going to stay away for another day down there. Dougy called and I was going to meet him, but then he had some other things come up. Hope all is well...

i wasent calling Dv out. just the info he had wasent correct. didnt wana come off wrong. I just didnt wana see everyone cancel their plans.

I never even considered that you were "calling me out" what ever that means. Anyway, it was the train being in there until Monday. As soon as I saw the post above I remembered they had a picture of the train when they announced the Monday thing.

BottomFeeder, not a big deal.. I didn't even think about "being called out" partly because I have no idea what it means and secondly, I am wrong a lot and I am glad you "called me out"? If you hadn't someone might have missed a good ride.. :D

Peace, Pot and Micro-dot!:rolleyes:

I think I am going to stay away for another day down there. Dougy called and I was going to meet him, but then he had some other things come up. Hope all is well...

Saw a post somewhere that the run to squirrel flats came down BIG! It ran out onto the lake and brought trees with it.. That chute is definitely prime avy territory and I guess this proves it.. I think we will hear more about it tonight when everyone gets back.. I hope someone takes some pic's and posts them up :D

Last edited:
Premium Features

Back