• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Santa Rosa Mtns

fixit

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Mountain City, NV
2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

email1.jpgIt's been a crazy week, busted the M1000 up in Flat Creek last Sat 2/2. We were trying all day to get it out and finally threw in the towel (a bit too late in the day). Was 2-upin with the wife outa there when several in the group got stuck. We had a SERIOUS storm come in on us and almost stayed the night on Hinkey Summit, probably wouldn't have made it through the night. Wife and I got seperated from the group and stuck in the trees. Freaking WHITE OUT at night. Tracks were covered in a matter of a minute. Drove through a barbed wire fence without seeing it. It took us about 1 1/2hrs to go 1/8th mile. I don't think the wife is ever going to Hinkey again, and nowhere if the sun is not shining. UGLY!

I went up with parts on Monday and couldn't get the M1000 scabbed back together.

Dominic, Fred, Roy, and ? went up there that Tuesday and Dominic got buried in an avalanche. Luckily his arm was exposed and they did not have to use the beacons (they all had em on).

I went back Thursday with more parts and still had no luck getting it rideable.

Tried again Sat 2/9 with Dean Oberhansli, Mike Hernandez, and Rick Jurado and we got her thawed out and running, Tied in with Dan M. and Sean N. and had a awesome ride. Mike and I climbed Chocolate Mtn. on the M1000.

I'll get some pics up after I shrink them to fit.

John

Last edited:
S
Dec 11, 2007
Glad all are okay

Sounds like a couple of near misses! Glad everyone is all right. How do you get in to the Santa Rosas, is it as easy as taking 290 to the snow line?

S

snowrdr

Nov 26, 2007
Reno, NV
WOW! Avalanche pictures real eye opener. Looks like the Santa Rosa's are good to go for a ride finally. Did you come up from the Paradise side?

fixit

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Mountain City, NV
Ya, we definately dodged a couple of bullets.... a real eye opener!

We went in through Paradise, up the main road toward Hinkey. We rode from the end of the pavemant. It's easy enough. We ran into a couple of people in a 2 wheel drive van, stuck, broke and outa gas. They were gone when we returned.

Headed for Council Mtn. this weekend, my dad says it's been decades since he had "this kinda snow". Should be fun!

Be safe guys and gals!
John

S

snowrdr

Nov 26, 2007
Reno, NV
So did the Forest Service make any sort of a parking lot there by Solid Silver? Then the other question would be does Dave from the Forest Service Patrol the area during the winter? I was an Engine Foreman for the Paradise Ranger Station years ago and I know Dave Kern pretty well. I am curious about riding that Solid Silver area as well as going over to Buckskin.

Do you go over to Blue Lakes at all?

fixit

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Mountain City, NV
Solid Silver

I've never seen the Forest Service people up there in the winter. I've talked with ranchers who've been hassled in the summer (scouting sheep/cattle near he wilderness). A rancher inadvertantly cleared a spot to turn around when he cleared the road and driveway. I would imagine that you can drive further up and unload now. I've never ridden Solid Silver from the bottom side, we dropped into it off of Granite Pk a few years ago. Lots of riding over there, but I'm not sure of the wilderness boundrys.
John

Premium Features