• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Running board coolers

Dec 6, 2009
SE Minnesota
maybe this is a dumb question... But why would polaris stop using running board coolers? it makes no sense to me whatsoever. my 96 xcr 600 had board coolers and they worked wonderfully. you didnt need to buy them snow eliminators to keep the powder off cause the heat from the coolers would melt it. it kinda pissed me off the day i brought my 02 home and took it out only to find snow at my feet.

enough ranting, is there a way to install board coolers on my 02 800 xcsp? the extra cooling would be nice on those icy trails

this1ultraflyz

Lifetime Membership
Dec 1, 2007
Saskatoon, Saskquatchland
In the deep snow it can't melt snow fast enough. You just end up with a big pile of ice your trying kick off all the time. Ya the old school set up was ok for keeping your toes toasty when its like - 30 in the prairies.

Reactions: 800edgexc

Norway

Lifetime Membership
Nov 29, 2007
Hmmmm..

I just started going the other way on my Gen II. Has no edge-coolers now and would pack with snow far back, making it hard/impossible to keep your foot there on any exiting ride.
Now I have boards from WRP and was going to run edge coolers as well.

Is this decidedly a problem, even with "vented" boards? Wont engine power (heat) also help decide wich way this goes?

My buddy with his 1M (no edge cooling) would have huge chunks of ice in both his footwells after running in dry snow...

RS

skibreeze

Lifetime Membership
Dec 4, 2005
Colorado Springs
Hmmmm..

I just started going the other way on my Gen II. Has no edge-coolers now and would pack with snow far back, making it hard/impossible to keep your foot there on any exiting ride.

Is this decidedly a problem, even with "vented" boards? Wont engine power (heat) also help decide wich way this goes?

My buddy with his 1M (no edge cooling) would have huge chunks of ice in both his footwells after running in dry snow...

RS

There is far less issues running better boards and no heated running boards. The snow can be kicked off much easier. When heated, the snow melts a little and then attracts more and gets hard and icy.

T

theultrarider

Nov 26, 2007
Soldotna Alaska
Hmmmm..

RS

Norway,
He not not refering to the edge coolers like you are. The earlier poo's before the gen ii's had actual coolers that under the running boards. No coolers in the rear of the tunnel. I agree with both sides of the fence on this issue since I ride alot of different terrian. On cold days on the trail, they are wonderful!!! Nice toasty warm feet all day and clean dry boards. The minute you start playing in the steep and deep, you will hate them with a passion! Your boards are a slushy,icy mess that are impossible to keep clear short of keeping a large screwdriver and hammer handy. I do not miss those days.

Norway

Lifetime Membership
Nov 29, 2007
Norway,
He not not refering to the edge coolers like you are. The earlier poo's before the gen ii's had actual coolers that under the running boards. No coolers in the rear of the tunnel. I agree with both sides of the fence on this issue since I ride alot of different terrian. On cold days on the trail, they are wonderful!!! Nice toasty warm feet all day and clean dry boards. The minute you start playing in the steep and deep, you will hate them with a passion! Your boards are a slushy,icy mess that are impossible to keep clear short of keeping a large screwdriver and hammer handy. I do not miss those days.

Yeah, I just re-read this and see that I missed the mark by a mile...

RS

T
Nov 18, 2003
Reno Nevada
got my snow eliminators for Christmas. Going to install them today after I get home. They are the WRP ones so I will post up the results. Only thing I see as bad is I have to DC my blue dogbones

Chris

Premium Features