• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

RT 1000 Rebuild and Diet

M

MTN Tamer

Apr 26, 2009
Hey all, this is my first post on this site, I really enjoy reading all the feedback you guys throw out there. I am just getting my 05 RT 1000 rebuilt, I went with cylinder sleeves and wiseco dual ring pistons in the hopes that they will keep the cost of any future rebuilds down a bit. I just bought this sled and I'm going to install thermostat, timbersled air pods, timbersled front and rear suspension, a boony control box, boss seat, dj clutch kit, 163" x 3" track, gear it down a bit, and delete the rear cooler. I was just looking for some feedback, opinions on if I am going the right direction with this sled or not, and any more ideas. Thank again.

D
Jan 17, 2009
GF, MT
do you do any spring ridding if so i would not do a rear cooler delete because heat is a killer of 2 stroke engines i dont have a rt1000 but i do know in spring conditions all sleds run warm even with alot of cooling my .02 thanks dan

W

Washy

Feb 14, 2008
Langdon
You should have no problems taking the rear cooler out. The coolers on that thing are huge. Ran 5000 miles with no rear cooler and had no overheating issues at all. I would look at holz or Ez-ryde before I bought Timbersled, but that is just my opinion. Does it have a 151 or is it originally a 162?

M

MTN Tamer

Apr 26, 2009
It has the original 162. Which suspension do you run and why do you lean away from Timbersled? Just wondering, I'm not dead set either way.

B
Jul 21, 2001
Regina, Canada
consider;
Move the low pressure pump out while you have the engine out.
Redo the crank, as bearings are likely gone, mine were at 2200miles.
add lots of vent hole to clutch cover, remove the plastic part of the clutch cover.
I do have scratchers for the trail,,, but have never overheated since the removal of the rear exchanger.
I run a gutted stock airboxes with pod filters on the throttle bodies to try and keep the belt dust out. Also have a much larger SLP style material filter/frame on the outer airbox. As well as a vent kit to replace the large snow scoop on the can side.
take whatever you can off it, as it's heavy,,, swaybar, tailight frame, etc

Premium Features