• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Roll-N-Lock Tonneau Cover

Mark's RMK

Lifetime Membership
May 5, 2010
Sturgeon Lake, MN
Anyone have experience with a Roll-N-Lock tonneau cover for their pick up?

My GMC dealer carries them and they look very nice and sturdy.

I can't quite tell how water proof they are?

milehighassassin

Moderator: Premium Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Nov 16, 2005
FOCO/VAIL
No experience with the "Roll-n-lock", but I hooked my parents up with the Pace Edwards Full metal jackrabbit. After some research and talking with people it seemed to be the better choice. Fully water proof, dust proof (need a block off kit), easy to take off and on, price, holds up to UV and doesn't fade.

http://www.pace-edwards.com/full-metal-jackrabbit

They have a 1 ton. Want the security to lock things up, also tow a 5th wheel and don't want to have to take something off and on. The pace edwards can bet partially open or closed. Fully locks.

They also make an electric remote one, but not sure that is really needed unless you're 90 years old.

Scott

Scott Stiegler
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 1998
W Mont
I had one on my 2000 Ford super duty.

I liked it a lot.

Only downside for me (not sure to the cover) is that I had a short box pickup. When I bought a sled deck, that didn't work very well.
The tailgate couldn't close with the sled deck in.

Sold the cover and never looked back.

But I did like the cover and I was happy with it for the six years I had it.

W
Nov 10, 2010
Had one once, not waterproof but close too it, rolling mechanism took up some box space at the front which was an issue for bikes in the back. Have heard there can be freezing issues after the car wash (alberta can be cold mistress) but did not have it long enough to know. It seemed very secure and high quality. only reason I had it was because it came on a used truck, could not justify the pricetag otherwise.

C
Feb 5, 2016
Have one in the wife's new F150, and overall we like it. With a tailgate sealing kit it is very close to water tight but doesn't stop the dust (gravel roads). I would suspect that highway/town driving it would be fine. Biggest issue is winter and freezing. If you get into a good dump of snow and then a Chinook, any melted snow ends up re-freezing into the edges along the box rails and around the lock mechanism.

C

capulin overdrive

Apr 25, 2010
Got the BAK X2 on my pickup, it rolls up out of the bed, so can haul dirt bikes, sleds, etc.

As waterproof as the hardshell I had before, so good, but not 100%, maybe better for dust.

Locking not as secure as a hardshell, can pry up and get in pretty fast. So just keeps the honest, honest.

Only complaint is when snow collects in front of it rolled up. If you don't get it out of there before a freeze thaw event, it can get a little crunchy between the bed and cab until it melts out.

NorthMNSledder

Trail Coordinator
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Ham Lake / Lake of the Woods, MN
http://bakindustries.com/p-30253-revolver-x2-hard-rolling-tonneau-covers-overview.html

I'm pretty sure I am going with the Revolver X2 just like capulin overdrive mentions.

This was the one I was thinking before going with a Diamondback Cover. I have heard from other having the freezing issues like the others have mentioned on some of the retractable ones. Although it seems like the guys who park in a headed garage most of the time had much less issue since I'm sure theirs would dry out better.

Coldfinger

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Nebraska
The Diamond Back looks very sturdy.

For me, when I eventually get a cover, I would like something that is secure and allows full bed access for hauling dirt bike, atvs, etc, without removing cover from truck. The Revover X2 is pretty close to what I have in mind.

My main concern with the Revolver is the size when rolled up. I know my atv would not fit in my 6.5' box with the cover rolled up because the dia of the roll takes up too much space.

If I load my dirt bike, the cover would contact my tire before tire contacts front of truck. I would probably need to make a front tire holder which the tire could be placed against to keep it from contacting the cover.

They dont say anything about a quick release option. Doesnt look difficult to remove 4 nuts and take cover off and place in truck bed for installation once u get where going, if like going for multiple days.

Mark's RMK

Lifetime Membership
May 5, 2010
Sturgeon Lake, MN
Revolver X2

Well after having the cover for a week I really like it.

Helped my folks move, just rolled it up and fastened one of the straps to keep it rolled.

Worked as a nice buffer to keep items from coming near the cab.

Rained big time one night and not water in the bed.

Took grandkids to the lake so couldn't transport our luggage, coolers on the rear floor like usual and it worked really well to keep the luggage out of the wind, etc.

I'll have to check on actual removal ability like the previous post asks.

Anyone done the BedRug from Bak Industries? I have the old weathertech cargo liner from my Suburban on the floor for now.

C

capulin overdrive

Apr 25, 2010
I got a nice form fitted carpet/foam liner for just the floor on current pickup, but it's out for sleds and throw up in the attic. So not sure what brand?

It's about 3/4inch foam with carpet on top, and the foam is ribbed like the bed, so it lays nice and flat. Really nice for using the bed as a trunk.

Had the full carpeted bed last pickup with a hardtop, and it was really nice also. Almost think it came from Ford.

Last edited:
S
Feb 22, 2017
Well after having the cover for a week I really like it.

Helped my folks move, just rolled it up and fastened one of the straps to keep it rolled.

Worked as a nice buffer to keep items from coming near the cab.

Rained big time one night and not water in the bed.

Took grandkids to the lake so couldn't transport our luggage, coolers on the rear floor like usual and it worked really well to keep the luggage out of the wind, etc.

I'll have to check on actual removal ability like the previous post asks.

Anyone done the BedRug from Bak Industries? I have the old weathertech cargo liner from my Suburban on the floor for now.

Looking at Revolver X2 as well yet haven't decided which among tonneau covers available would lasts. How's the cover after all this time? Based on some reviews, it is pretty good to keep the bed dry after heavy rain.

revrider07

Lifetime Membership
Feb 17, 2008
ND
Realy like cover good on all points was walking around on top of it this week

The Diamond Back looks very sturdy.

For me, when I eventually get a cover, I would like something that is secure and allows full bed access for hauling dirt bike, atvs, etc, without removing cover from truck. The Revover X2 is pretty close to what I have in mind.

My main concern with the Revolver is the size when rolled up. I know my atv would not fit in my 6.5' box with the cover rolled up because the dia of the roll takes up too much space.

If I load my dirt bike, the cover would contact my tire before tire contacts front of truck. I would probably need to make a front tire holder which the tire could be placed against to keep it from contacting the cover.

They dont say anything about a quick release option for ram tonneau covers. Doesnt look difficult to remove 4 nuts and take cover off and place in truck bed for installation once u get where going, if like going for multiple days.
I'm thinking of a one-piece tonneau cover for a 2022 1500 limited. Do you recommend the MOPAR one for 1450ish or are there reasons not to get that and go with an aftermarket one like the Undercover Elite LX for closer to 1800? Also do you know how high it will go up and can you drive with it up for short distances (with trashcan to the dump)? thanks

Premium Features