• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

RKT, SLP, or Bikeman head.

K, guess I'm sold on the RKT. I was leaning that way anyways. Any of you try his re-flash program? I guess you send him your DPM and re programs the fuel mapping curve. I'm sure by doing this I can kiss my warrenty goodbye, but is it worth it? Thanks for the info

Seen and used the RKT and SLP. Personally I think you get what you pay for. The RKT head is a little more expensive, but performs better. The slp head looks like it was machined in some cheap chinese factory where they pump out a bunch of cheap stuff for the best price. The RKT head you'll get better cooling, heat transfer, performance, combustion efficiency and fuel economy. RKT is the best head out there.

All things being equal, Compression ratio, Sleds, Etc how much better will my sled run with the RKT vs a Bikeman, SLP or other heads? Will I be faster then them in a drag and higher on the hill?

A head all by it's self won't do you much good. You need a packaged system to get any real benefits.....The head only slightly changes the combustion efficiency and compression. You need more air, fuel and exhaust flow to get what they advertise. The head is designed to be only one piece of a package....

Last edited:
The head by itself gives the most gains over any other part of "the package". Try adding one piece at a time and see which one requires the most weight be added to the primary clutch. The 800r motor is 12.25:1 stock.....going higher gives a drastic improvement to the throttle response, midrange and top-end power. RKT has this figured out nicely without getting out of range on the squish clearances and an additional benefit is the additional cooling around the combustion chamber.

If you put a RKT head on the 1000 do you need to change the fuel mapping?
I have the timberland intake and a pipe and can

If you put a RKT head on the 1000 do you need to change the fuel mapping?
I have the timberland intake and a pipe and can

I would give Kelsey and call or send him an e-mail. He won't steer you wrong. I ran a Boondocker box on mine (in 05) but my gut tells me you could put a head on without screwing with the fuel.

I would most certainly steer away from the Bikeman head. I have not heard to many happy customers. I ride with a guy who won a bikeman 800 dragon pipe in a raffle, so to complete the package he bought the bikeman head also. When he got everything put on he could not get the sled to run even close to what it had before. He then went to another friend who is a Polaris genius and they still never got it to run proper. ended up taking it all off. Bikeman was not much help either.

I would lean toward the RKT head, talk to BJ or Kelsey.

Several years ago was doing steady testing on the dyno, (Ski-doo 800 HO). I was running RKT head and very satisfied. Just for heck of it I waited until I had a build completely dialed in, fueling, timing, pipe etc. with the RKT head, and quickly changed over to stock 800 HO head. On the engine stand this was a matter of minutes. Re-ran engine and changed some fueling a little bit if I remember correctly to arrive @ the same a/f , and realized 3 horsepower less with the stock head. I fooled around with it for a while and that's where it ended up. Both heads were identical compression @ sea level, same fuel etc. etc. 3 hp. isn't too bad ( my dyno is REALLY STINGY), but I was surprised I didn't see more difference. RKT has a nice looking head cover though!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

BB

Trygstad has been the #1 choice for pro hillclimber racers and pro snocross racers coast 2 coast.....Trygstad bigbores are the pro's choice as well.

OT

I have a Trygstad 880 with race crank,Been happy with performance, I,m now building a SHR 860 to have ready to stab when this motor goes, I think all these builders are a credit to the sport,Every motor has pro,s and con,s.Will get a chance to make a real comparison, I expect they will both have simular performance advantages.Clearly both builders are extremely knowledgable,Head to Head!

Last edited:
Premium Features

Back