• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

RKT performance?

I

i'llDooit

Nov 27, 2007
Duvall washington
i've done some reading about the rkt head and piston kit,,, but there is not much about reliability and any matinence. can anyone add there 2cents worth on the subject. it sounds like everyone is really happy with the performance gains. how about the life on the motor after the upgrades?:beer;:beer;:beer;:beer;:beer;

Wheel House Motorsports

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
SW MT
as long as you set things up per kelseys specs they will last just as long as stock. and most of em you just drop in and go. other then an issue he had with locater pins falling out they are like stock, just make better power.

B
Nov 16, 2008
I was interested in some of their pistons also. Did the ring locator pin issue get resolved? That same thing happened to my 800 I have now

I

i'llDooit

Nov 27, 2007
Duvall washington
do a search, you'll find stuff.
I have the drop in kit and it works real well

What year sled did you drop it in? and what elevation's do you ride at? Your drop in kit consist's of pistons and the head.? If i go with any aftermarket $hit, i want pull and go. just add oil and gas. no dinkin around trying to figure out why it wont run right.

What year sled did you drop it in? and what elevation's do you ride at? Your drop in kit consist's of pistons and the head.? If i go with any aftermarket $hit, i want pull and go. just add oil and gas. no dinkin around trying to figure out why it wont run right.

I wanted the same thing as you and the 827 kit seems to provide just that... I don't have that many miles on the kit yet. My buddy had a lot of miles on his this year and it worked flawlessly... still some clutching to work out.

S
Nov 26, 2007
Helena, MT
I think the big bores are a better bang for your buck....if you can afford it.
Most are getting around the 160hp range but it's the torque that really makes some of these motors worth the money.

1911freak

Nov 26, 2007
Kaysville, UT
His stuff works when it runs. When it doesn't be prepared to work it all out for yourself. I had an 827 that ran great for one season and then began having problems. Called Kelsey several times and all he would say is that every sled is different and you just have to experiment. Would not even address why the setup ran great and then suddenly went bad. Per his suggestions I went thru new rings, rave valves, reeds, and a sh!tload of jetting and clutching changes all to no avail. When I finally got him to return a call after all this all I got was an "Oh well, good luck" out of him.
Pulled his kit and put back on the stock components and the sled ran great.

Reactions: diamonddave

ripnit

Lifetime Membership
Mar 9, 2009
Chilly Id/Iowa Falls Ia
The man can't fix your sled over the phone, theres alot of diff things that can be wrong. If you changed all that stuff and it did fix it until you put diff. jug and pistons in I'd say you might of had bad comp. the plating on the 827 jugs was damaged or the rings. You said you replaced the ring but did you hone the jugs before putting in new rings??? My 827 has almost 1000 miles and still runs strong.

1911freak

Nov 26, 2007
Kaysville, UT
The man can't fix your sled over the phone, theres alot of diff things that can be wrong. If you changed all that stuff and it did fix it until you put diff. jug and pistons in I'd say you might of had bad comp. the plating on the 827 jugs was damaged or the rings. You said you replaced the ring but did you hone the jugs before putting in new rings??? My 827 has almost 1000 miles and still runs strong.
I knew I would get a comment like this. Yes I honed the cylinders. Yes I checked the compression.
I live in Utah and ride in Preston where RKT is based. Kelsey will not install nor service his own kits. I asked Kelsey several times to take my sled and have a look and was always told he was too busy. So tell me how else would I have done this except over the phone.
By the way my 827 had almost 2000 miles on it when it went bad so enjoy the next 1000.

Last edited:

Vertical-Extreme

Lifetime Membership
Sep 15, 2008
Airdrie, Alberta
www.airdriejudo.ca
I knew I would get a comment like this. Yes I honed the cylinders. Yes I checked the compression.
I live in Utah and ride in Preston where RKT is based. Kelsey will not install nor service his own kits. I asked Kelsey several times to take my sled and have a look and was always told he was too busy. So tell me how else would I have done this except over the phone.
By the way my 827 had almost 2000 miles on it when it went bad so enjoy the next 1000.

After 2000 miles you were over due for a top end (IMO) I would consider that getting your moneys worth for the kit

S
Nov 26, 2007
Helena, MT
I have well over 2000 miles on my SHR840 and haven't had any kit related issues and BJ is still more then happy to help out even when it's not his kit's problem.
Customer service is a BIG thing when it comes to these kits so choose wisely.

C
Aug 27, 2009
had him make me a head for my yammy PWC piston I run in my mod...He cut the head wrong and made me pay for it. WHAT THE HECK. will never use him again

Premium Features