• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Riding Valdez

N

nelsonsr1

Nov 3, 2008
Anchorage
Who has been there this year and how is it.
Got a group looking to go and want to know what it is like and where to go.
Ideas?

G
Dec 1, 2007
Girdwood, Alaska
Its not bad, I have been going almost every weekend.

Loveland Basin was good, snow was pretty unstable as of Jan 30th. They had about 12in of new, but it covered all the visible wind slabs so caution is needed.

There is 275" acording to DOT, with measured 52" at schoolbus and 10 ft at 4000'.

Gully One, Gully2, and Nicks are good. But have slab slides as well. Snow depth doubled from around 2200 to 4000.

They need more snow imo, but everywere else sucks so I just been making the drive. I am going back heliboarding next week. I will get some pics.

Nov 28, 2007
Anchorage, AK
Only ridden Valdez twice, awesome terrain, seems you would have to have good light to ride. Are there any areas to ride if the light is flat? Hard to drive all that way just to spend the day drinkin at the Pipeline.

P

pura vida

Nov 26, 2007
2smoke, don't lie. you never have a problem drinking.... anywhere.

G
Dec 1, 2007
Girdwood, Alaska
Only ridden Valdez twice, awesome terrain, seems you would have to have good light to ride. Are there any areas to ride if the light is flat? Hard to drive all that way just to spend the day drinkin at the Pipeline.

You can park at the worthington glacier pull off and head back toward Tosiana (sp?), there are areas you can dick around in when the weather is bad.

Or you can say the hell with visibility and just go for it:D

Premium Features