• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Riding two-up on Polaris

ejf50

Lifetime Membership
Mar 6, 2008
Thinking of bringing my 5 year old son out west for the first time. Anyone have any tips or tricks for having him ride with me?
Obviously it will be a different style of riding!
My main concern is that he will need to ride in front of me most likely, and the dang gas cap is there. Have any of you guy made a pad or something to combat this problem?
Also thinking it would be nice to make something for him to hang onto, instead of the handlebars.

Let me know if you guys have any ideas! Thanks

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HDg

tuneman

Lifetime Membership
Jan 16, 2013
Minnesota
www.everettsports.net
I suppose you could get some alternative impact buddy bars or flip a mountain strap over for hanging on.

I take my daughter on slow trail rides and she sits in front. However, I'd caution on back country riding. You never know what's under that snow and an abrupt stop will make your kiddo become your airbag.

Reactions: Ox and Timbre

89sandman

Lifetime Membership
Oct 16, 2004
southern oregon
I ride with my grandson a few times a year, he is in front and hangs onto the grab bar. He is 8 so a little bigger, he can stand up and we do some small off trail stuff and carve up the meadows. He rides quads by himself and bought him a little 550 mountain cat, but for some reason he just isn't ready yet to solo. Maybe later this year. Biggest problem I have with him is keeping him out of the snow while we are unloading and stopped for breaks. He gets his gloves wet and boots full of snow and then it's back to the truck to warm up. Have 2 extra pair of gloves for him but they don't last:) That being said can't wait to take him out during Xmas break!

deanross

Lifetime Membership
Nov 29, 2010
Cody WY
I've ridden with my grandkids ages 2-7. But like said before "easy" riding. It turns the sled into a completely different animal. Not the same balance at all. It's great to get them out there enjoying it, but be aware you will be pretty limited as to what you can do.

Pro-8250

Lifetime Membership
Mar 4, 2008
Northern MN.
Thinking of bringing my 5 year old son out west for the first time. Anyone have any tips or tricks for having him ride with me?
Obviously it will be a different style of riding!
My main concern is that he will need to ride in front of me most likely, and the dang gas cap is there. Have any of you guy made a pad or something to combat this problem?
Also thinking it would be nice to make something for him to hang onto, instead of the handlebars.

Let me know if you guys have any ideas! Thanks

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HDg
West of where?

I

inspector01

Mar 21, 2013
MN
2015-Polaris-600-Indy-Voyageur-144-Rear.jpg

The tank looks the same as a pro ride, so this might be an option. Anyone know if this fits?

http://www.snowmobile.com/gallery/gallery.php/d/42042-3/2015-Polaris-600-Indy-Voyageur-144-Rear.jpg

slash

Parts Moderator & Chat Box Cop
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Jul 22, 2008
IDAHO FALLS 83404
I take mine with me often use a mountain strap facing rear instead of up then I stand and use my knees to keep them stable

Reactions: ejf50

frntflp

Lifetime Membership
Nov 29, 2007
Plymouth, MN
west of mn....and not north dakota...

ummm...let me guess...South Dakota ? :face-icon-small-win

I put the smaller kids in front of me and have them hold on to the mountain bar, then I stay seated. That way I have my knees and arms to keep them in place. They stay warm, and I can keep hold of them when they get rumbled to sleep. Need to keep it fun so they are hooked for life. I want them grinning from ear to ear - then I know we got 'em.

A
Jun 23, 2004
Black Diamond, WA
You didn't say what kind of polaris, but the Pro is very kid riding friendly. Mtn strap to hang onto, narrow seat and the footwell braces make great footrest for little ones.
Cat M sleds too.
Any sled with a grab bar will work though and the narrower the seat the better.
Mine are on their own sleds now,but they used to split time between the Sno coach and riding up front.
I'm avg size, 6', both my kids were small for their age and 6-7yeads old was when it started getting uncomfortable for me for them to ride up front. Always smashing helmets into each other unless I was standing.

A
Jun 23, 2004
Black Diamond, WA
Ona side note, last trip, we left my snowbike a few miles up the "trail" and doubled out, me and the 10year old on his 550. Too little snow for the bike, drove truck back up to get it.
Rode side by side each standing on a running board.
He thought that was a blast!

F
Nov 26, 2007
Murray Utah
I would think 5 is pretty young to ride in front...too many things like bars and mountain straps to smash his little face on if you hit a bump or ditch...You might be able to keep from smashing into him but he wouldn't see it coming and be able to brace himself...A bad experience would sour him to if for many years.

All the above suggestions are valid.

I'd like to add, the kid is going to get COLD (they don't get to hold on to the warm grips). How soon depends on how well the kid is dressed, the temperature and whether it's snowing or not. My 8 year old daughter has good gear and is used to the mountain cold, but she normally only lasts 1-2 hours, maximum. At 5 years old it was more like an hour. So my best pieces of advice are: 1) Buy a bunch of the 'Hand Warmer' pouches and have them ready or already in their gloves and boots. 2) Don't travel very far from the truck or cabin. Because when they get cold, and they will get cold, they will be miserable, and when a kid is miserable they want everyone around them to be miserable with them, if you know what I mean. So you want the trip back to warmth to be as short as possible. 3) If it's snowing, they will get wet soon, and wet becomes cold quickly, no matter how many hand warmers you stuff in their gloves.

Just understand kids don't have the endurance that adults have, nor the attention span. They're not controlling the sled, they're just along for the ride and can easily get bored. Start them out with short rides and slowly build up from there. If you make it fun, as opposed to miserable, they'll be hooked for life.

Good gear makes a HUGE difference as well.

Good luck!

Last edited:

JungleJim

Premium Member
Dec 11, 2007
Calgary, Alberta
Agree with all the suggestions and would add to get a Tekvest for him. Even if it is a little large he can grow into it and will be vital to have when he starts riding in their own. Both my boys have one and it has saved them many times!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

L
Dec 12, 2012
Spokane, WA
As long as he stays warm and obviously you will know best at how well he's doing as far as keeping his face off the bars. If you don't plan on a full day but accept that your done when he's no longer having fun I think you guys will have lots of fun. My wife doesn't like riding snowmobiles but took her for a little 4 hour ride when I had my xm. I stood the whole time while she sat. We had fun got to some open spots let her get stuck. Balancing with another adult was tricky, I don't think you'll notice a 50 lb kid to much.

Premium Features