• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Ride Command on a Snowbike

S
Does anyone use the Polaris Ride command app for Snowbiking? I am specifically interested in the "group ride" feature. Sure, I installed the app on my phone and have used it a little but does anyone have it mounted to handlebars so that you can see where others are without stopping and digging the phone out of your pocket and looking at it? I haven't used it enough to know how the phone battery does with with the app running. Does anyone have a setup with a nice waterproof case that is powered?
I know that keeping a phone in my pocket will improve battery life but I'm mostly looking for the convenience of a handlebar mounted device. On a typical day I have plenty of battery life in my phone. I currently have a Garmin Montana 680t mounted to my handlebars with a powered mount. I am also familiar with the Trailtech Voyager Pro with the buddy tracking feature but have not used it. Maybe I should've gotten the TT instead of the Montana 680 but I already have the Montana and Ride Command seems like a good option, especially cuz it's free. I'd love to see what you have and get ideas for mounting.

D
Apr 25, 2019
WA
I can't comment on the ride command, but we just had our first ride with Voyager pros and the buddy tracking in tight trees is awesome. Problem is everyone else in the group needs them or it's just a glorified gps with bike data. I think I should sell my Montana since we use the Avenza MVUM maps on the phone for summer single track riding. Don't need the tracking there.

S
Just a few more thoughts and questions. I noticed that the TT Pro has an emergency beacon. that looks like a great option. How well does the TT Pro radio communication system work? With a few more ad ins this has the potential to be a 4 or 5 in one unit. 1- gauge cluster, 2-GPS, 3- Buddy tracker, 4- Radio Communication, and 5- Emergency communication. They could even add a camera!

D
Apr 25, 2019
WA
The emergency beacon just puts a red warning on the screen of everyone who is buddy connected. Still, not a bad thing if you get hurt and can reach the unit to turn it on.
The unit has bluetooth control so you still need a phone or radio to communicate. We have Cardo Packtalk slim helmet units and do not need the bluetooth control. A lot easier option, IMO.

M
Jan 5, 2018
Does the ride command app need cell service to track other riders or just a data connection?

I currently have an old phone mounted to my handlebars that doesn't have a sim card, so it stays with the bike to be my speedometer and map. For ride command, possibly you could do something like this then hotspot your actual cell phone to provide data to the mounted one.

S
Does the ride command app need cell service to track other riders or just a data connection?

I currently have an old phone mounted to my handlebars that doesn't have a sim card, so it stays with the bike to be my speedometer and map. For ride command, possibly you could do something like this then hotspot your actual cell phone to provide data to the mounted one.

It appears that Ride command does this without either a cell signal or data. We don't have either of these in the areas we ride anyway.
Do you have your phone mount powered? Can you give specifics or pictures of your setup?

M
Jan 5, 2018
So when I did this I went as cheap as possible because I didn't know if it would work. Instead of buying a waterproof case I sealed up all the ports on the phone itself. This one only has buttons in one spot on the back so it was pretty easy. To mount it I used a small piece of aluminum and attached that to the handlebars then used adhesive velcro to stick the phone to the aluminum. It's solid enough and I can take the phone off if needed. I might make something nicer next summer.
I bought a 12v to 5v converter and wired that to the bike.
Last thing, I installed an Automate app so when it sees or loses power it will launch or kill my apps and dim or turn on the screen. With this I can also keep the gps going while the bike is off so it's not always looking for sat signal.
20201218_095614.jpg

Chadx

♫ In the pow again. Just can't wait to get in..
Lifetime Membership
Feb 2, 2010
Bozeman, MT
Yes, you must have cellphone signal to use the buddy tracking feature of the Ride Command App. Or you need the radio hardware.

Per polaris...
"
Ride Command App
Group Ride is available on the Ride Command app even if your vehicle is not equipped with a Ride Command display.

Cell coverage is required, and there is an unlimited range as long as you have cell coverage.
Read up here: https://rzr.polaris.com/en-us/self-help/article/KA-01028/

I bought the Voyager Pro. Have one ride on it so far but have not yet used the buddy tracking feature. Working on some family and friends to also buy, but even without, I love it. I ran the non-pro Voyager last year and like the pro even better. But will only be worth the price premium if I get friends to also buy so we can use buddy feature. Relying on cell signal is a non-starter in the areas we ride because there is very little.

Last edited:
D
Apr 25, 2019
WA
2 rides now with the Voyager buddy tracking so far and it works incredible. I got buried in the hole Brian posted of me in the other thread. All I had to do is say "I'm in a hole" and he drove right to me in tight trees with no line of sight visible. I say if you can use any tracking available, go for it.

J
Nov 20, 2020
Just had a weekend trip up in Paradise, MI (upper peninsula). The Polaris Ride Command group rider icons would remain where the last cell phone signal was. GPS still worked fantastic for my own icon on the display, but everybody else had their icon stuck back where we had lunch.

Premium Features