• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

REV electrical question

kidwoo

Lifetime Membership
Dec 28, 2008
I have a sled that looks more or less like this.

Summit_REV.jpg

With all that orange, it's not a far cry from this.

gary%20schneider%20general%20lee.jpg

And soon with a little paint and a sticker kit, it will be darn similar.

And you can't have a general lee sled without the appropriate air horn........which is this.

http://www.jcwhitney.com/Musical-Air-Horns...02599_10101.jcw

I will soon fly in slow motion over bushes where you never knew there was a jump, and then skid to a halt in front of a beautiful brunette wearing cutoff jean ho shorts.

But the problem I'm foreseeing is the horn installation. As far as I know the headlight runs on a straight 12v system and I'm thinking I can tap in there without messing with the rest of the electrical system......not a vital part. I can't find any rating on how much amperage the horn pulls and what the sled is capable of supporting.

Any ideas or specs on the headlight system I might want to consider.

Signed,

Just a good ole boy
Never meanin no harm.

Last edited:

kidwoo

Lifetime Membership
Dec 28, 2008
Yeah whatever. You know you'd laugh.

If not, you're a hollow shell of a man. :D

J

JROD

Nov 6, 2004
Bozeman, MT
Personally not something I would do but I ride with the sort who can appreciate this. :beer;

l_b9076ae5da37402786766025b6dd537b.jpg

I've found with nitrous systems that require extra power, the best bet is to install a dry cell 12v with a diode installed between the power wire and the battery then wire your horn straight from your battery. It takes less stress off of your electrical system and is more consistent power. I don't have the numbers in front of me but I can get you the info if you're interested on the diode and battery I use.

:beer; :beer; :beer;

kidwoo

Lifetime Membership
Dec 28, 2008
I've found with nitrous systems that require extra power, the best bet is to install a dry cell 12v with a diode installed between the power wire and the battery then wire your horn straight from your battery. It takes less stress off of your electrical system and is more consistent power. I don't have the numbers in front of me but I can get you the info if you're interested on the diode and battery I use.

The more I read up, the more I think you're right. I was trying to avoid the battery route but I think the pull that horn is going to put on the system is making me nervous. Buffers are good. But yeah I really would appreciate your setup specs. That would be great.

In a few weeks you can tell your buddy you found a sled that looks even cooler than his :beer;:D :beer;

(that thing is pretty badass)

J

JROD

Nov 6, 2004
Bozeman, MT
It's an IN5404 Diode, a very common diode in which the red side is the anode and the black side is the cathode. Current flows from anode to cathode but not vice versa. Should be able to find at Radio Shack or on the net. Shouldn't cost more than a $1 or so.

Battery is a Werker 12-volt 1.3Ah sealed dry cell found at Batteries Plus for about $20. You can go bigger if you want.

Let me know if you need anything else :beer;

kidwoo

Lifetime Membership
Dec 28, 2008
Thanks man!

Probably would have taken me all summer to find a diode number.

You know how many amps your nitrous system pulls?

J

JROD

Nov 6, 2004
Bozeman, MT
No, when I was setting up that system I could never get any numbers from anybody but my fuel pump can put out some serious volume for a long time on one battery. I've used it for draining my fuel tank at the end of the season. I was amazed at how well that system works and you never have to charge the battery.

Premium Features