• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

replacing fuel pump ?

wellfed777

Lifetime Membership
if got an 11 pro 800 it started acting funny on the last couple rides
if i shut it off and then restarted fairly quickly it will start right up
BUT if i shut it off and hang out for 15-20 min. it takes 8-10 pulls to start
it doesn't seeem to be flooded it seem to be not getting fuel ?
i took it to the dealer they reset my TPS ad checked fuel pressure
the fuel pressure was ok but would bleed off right away ?
(we checked another sled and it held pressure until the gauge was removed )
so is there a check valve in the pump ? is the pump failing ?
i've always stayed up on filter changes and run good fuel
any ideas ?

i looked into a new pump as. big $$$ can you just replace the pump only ?
(i tried search mode but didn't find the answers)
any help is much appreciated
thanks

yeah the injectors have been changed in the past
how can figure out if its bleeding out the pump side or injector side ?
(pinch the supply and return line ?)
the reason i'm pretty sure its not the injector side because its not flooded
when i try and start it

i should probably just change the pump but i hate changing parts blind
ha ha

I would question whether the injector could bleed enough fuel into one side to foul it out. I also think that if it was the injector the fuel should still be "primed" between the inlet and fuel pump so it should build up pressure and fire sooner than the 8-10 pulls.

I would be more suspicious of the intake to the pump where it could take that many pulls to "prime" the fuel line to the pump. This may be unlikely if the pump is submerged in the fuel supply though...

Or, as mentioned, the pump is getting ready to go on vacation in a dryer climate.

when we tested another sled we disconected the fuel pump power and ran
its fuel pressure to zero then hooked back up the pump and pulled it with the
key off with 4 pulls it had 60 psi mine wouldn't build pressure near as quickly

its like it takes more power (pulls) to get my pump going
thanks for the help

your symtoms sound identical to mine, i had to pull and pull to get mine started, pulled fual pressure and i would get 60 psi but did a amp draw on the pump and it took 12 amps to keep it going should be 5.5 to 6 amps, also it would not keep the pressure, i installed new pump now on a cold morning takes 2 pulls to get it started and the rest of the day 1 pull, and it runs a lot better do not the big amprage draw from the old pump, you can just replace the pump $109 i will try to get you the website later today.

your symtoms sound identical to mine, i had to pull and pull to get mine started, pulled fual pressure and i would get 60 psi but did a amp draw on the pump and it took 12 amps to keep it going should be 5.5 to 6 amps, also it would not keep the pressure, i installed new pump now on a cold morning takes 2 pulls to get it started and the rest of the day 1 pull, and it runs a lot better do not the big amprage draw from the old pump, you can just replace the pump $109 i will try to get you the website later today.

Please do, I need one for my 2014 as well.

yeah i saw that one on ebay also

there are a few companies selling them is there any reason to go with a certian one ?
who's pump did you use pureplaris ?

I went through this with my 12 pro, I ordered walbro pump from auto performance engineering same part#, but it wouldn't work properly...kept getting low voltage code on my air fuel, turns out that pump was pulling to much draw from the system, fire up the sled with separate 12 volt source to the pump and low voltage problem went away...tried another one from them and same problem, finally ordered one from polaris and problem went away, weird deal, I'm not sure if polaris is doing something to the pumps to pull less draw?

I went through this with my 12 pro, I ordered walbro pump from auto performance engineering same part#, but it wouldn't work properly...kept getting low voltage code on my air fuel, turns out that pump was pulling to much draw from the system, fire up the sled with separate 12 volt source to the pump and low voltage problem went away...tried another one from them and same problem, finally ordered one from polaris and problem went away, weird deal, I'm not sure if polaris is doing something to the pumps to pull less draw?

It could be the FPR. More pressure more amps. Here is a simple chart from Walbro.

image.jpg

Premium Features

Back