• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Rear suspension measurement

06redrevx

Lifetime Membership
Dec 3, 2008
Does anyone have a 163 Axys that could take a quick measurement for me?<div>Straight up from the floor to the center of the rear bumper bolt.</div><div>Mine is sitting at 25 3/4" but it seems like its a lot lower than it was. 19 850 163</div><div>Thanks</div>

• 2 Stars
Reactions: live2beel

06redrevx

Lifetime Membership
Dec 3, 2008
Yes, stock. Seems like the rear end has sagged a bunch. Only 110 miles on it

Wheel House Motorsports

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
SW MT
At the rear bumper once everything has been ridden and loosened up, there will be a couple inches of sag (4-5 iirc) this is very normal. Its how the supsension works.

Reactions: 06redrevx
P
Oct 10, 2009
Park City, UT
If I push down on it and let it come up it's at 25. If I pull up and let it settle down it's at 26

The height will vary by sled ... Check the sag from fully extended to settled being right. If it sags too much turn up the spring preload. After that if you feel like the suspension packs out turn up the compression clicker.

SRXSRULE

Lifetime Membership
Aug 25, 2002
The front track shock has a great deal of effect on this. The more pre-load on the FTS the more the rear is going to sag when you lift the back of the sled and set it down on the floor. Basically the whole sled is pivoting on the FTS..... if you soften the pre-load on it and do the same test, the rear suspension will now compress equally together and you get much less sage.

Sage is not really that import because it all changes once you ride the sled on snow. you need to set all 4 of your shock springs for rider weight and riding style/conditions.

Personally I run the front end very soft, maybe only a 1/4" of spring pre-load.
I also run the FTS very soft, just enough pre-load on the spring to prvent it from falling out when it has no load on it.
Then I adjust the RTS to keep the sled from bottom out on everything but a big hit.

I find this set-up to work great for getting the sled on top of the snow quick, keeping the front end down on a steep climb, and also easy to side hill and works good in tight trees.

P
Oct 10, 2009
Park City, UT
The front track shock has a great deal of effect on this. The more pre-load on the FTS the more the rear is going to sag when you lift the back of the sled and set it down on the floor. Basically the whole sled is pivoting on the FTS..... if you soften the pre-load on it and do the same test, the rear suspension will now compress equally together and you get much less sage.

Sage is not really that import because it all changes once you ride the sled on snow. you need to set all 4 of your shock springs for rider weight and riding style/conditions.

Personally I run the front end very soft, maybe only a 1/4" of spring pre-load.
I also run the FTS very soft, just enough pre-load on the spring to prvent it from falling out when it has no load on it.
Then I adjust the RTS to keep the sled from bottom out on everything but a big hit.

I find this set-up to work great for getting the sled on top of the snow quick, keeping the front end down on a steep climb, and also easy to side hill and works good in tight trees.

Just my opinion but totally disagree, rear sag is very important, but I won’t debate it. The guy asked about the height of his sled which doesn’t really mean squat.

With the narrow front end I run the front shocks set with stiffer preload, not softer, to get the ski to sink which allows for less steering input sidehilling. The narrow front takes so much less effort to initiate turns already. To each his own.

K

klarkkentster

Apr 22, 2020
Bremerton, WA
Just my opinion but totally disagree, rear sag is very important, but I won’t debate it. The guy asked about the height of his sled which doesn’t really mean squat.

With the narrow front end I run the front shocks set with stiffer preload, not softer, to get the ski to sink which allows for less steering input sidehilling. The narrow front takes so much less effort to initiate turns already. To each his own.
Makes sense - how do you set up the rear?

Premium Features