• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

R&D Custom Turbo Werx--Center Mount Turbo

C

canucklehead

Aug 30, 2002
Southern AB
So back to discussion about front mount XP turbos.

Is there anyone out there that can comment on what effect moving about 20 lbs of weight from the right hand side up to the top is going to be??

Jake

Now it's going to feel like a lightweight nytro.

Wheel House Motorsports

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
SW MT
I think the center of gravity being rasied would help the way the XP handles a bit, as i know with the revs, and from my readings,the XP to, there very low center of gravity causes them to want to upright way more then the comporable cat, poo, yami, whatever. so i think brining the COG up a hair could really help handling, the only thing i could thnk of that could kinda be an issue is the motor favors the clutch side weight wise, also, the weight of the clutches off to the one, if you could get a weight distribution even on the front ski's by placing things like the fuel pump/regulator the works over on the mag side and get the ski's balanced equally i think this thing would be an animal for ergonomics and im certain it would move pretty quick as well

T
May 25, 2008
Oroville Washington
Oh I think the space opened up from moving the turbo to the center will be utilized ;) and that should help the right hand weight issue some.

I think moving weight up in the chassis could work well for the sidehilling querks of the XP too.

Jake

D
Oct 19, 2003
Rapid City, South Dakota
No Darin I didn't. Shoot me a pm so I can drop it in my phone.

I nameded the company R&D for a reason;). The brain is always turning:). Sometimes good, sometimes bad. I came up with a really cool design the other day:cool:, but after a phone call I was informed it would FAIL in it's application:eek:. Got to look at ALL aspects of the build.

Dave

I'm sure Dave is trying to get a little input on new ideas. It's called RESEARCH & development.
Dave did you get my new cell # so I can be the first to try the 1000? Darin

R
Dec 3, 2001
CO
Jake post some stuff in the other thread. I will comment there.

Dave keep her up I have seen things that sounded weird but work very well. Rules where made to be broken in the turbo world.

Not *only* the turbo world! ;)

And I think moving some weight "up" in that chassis would really help it.
I don't care how much heavier my Nytro is, its easy to pull a ski up, and when its on one ski it stays there until I need to catch my breath from being drug around in the snow.. :D
The few times I've ridden the XP, its been tough to put on one ski, let alone 'hold' it there.

Gros Chien

Lifetime Membership
Nov 30, 2007
Qc,Can. & Whistler in the winter
Keep workin on that center mount turbo kit. This will make the XP easier to manoeuver for us lighweight, short skinny guys ;). Oh! BTW ''I heard it through the grapevine''.... the new 800R ETEC is gonna be turboable(I mean easier than the 600ETEC) :beer;. I hope I'm not starting a new subject on this thread :eek:.

D
Oct 19, 2003
Rapid City, South Dakota
Yep, been hearing the same things for a few months now. I sure hope it is something Ski-Doo gives us that we can actually work with. The rumors I have been hearing are promising. Until I see a production unit or I get a more reliable confirmation on the details I will still build turbo kits for the carbs. If Ski-Doo wants to drop one of the prototypes off I can offer up my services and advice to them:D.

Dave

Keep workin on that center mount turbo kit. This will make the XP easier to manoeuver for us lighweight, short skinny guys ;). Oh! BTW ''I heard it through the grapevine''.... the new 800R ETEC is gonna be turboable(I mean easier than the 600ETEC) :beer;. I hope I'm not starting a new subject on this thread :eek:.

dooitbig

Lifetime Membership
Jan 14, 2009
ks
sounds like a cool idea dave! making the egronimics on those sleds better doing that even would be a nice feature plus the hp of a turbo:D ive been kickin around the idea of puttin a turbo on my sled are you getting anywhere with the center mount turbo? i would like to rip up the hill on one b4 i buy 1. when are you headed west for the first time?

T
May 25, 2008
Oroville Washington
We are aiming to have a center mount 1000 conversion Turbo XP on the snow later this spring. But you can ride the normal sidemount turbo anytime. If you are out west, shoot me a pm with your location and Id be happy to meet up and go for a ride!

Jake

D
Oct 19, 2003
Rapid City, South Dakota
The centermount turbo is still a work in progress. We have the conventional sidemount for now. After we finish the details on the centermount we will offer both along with the 1000cc twin conversion turbo kit. None of these projects will be rushed and won't be released until the production units are dialed in. I am R&D and don't expect any customers to do that for me. All in time.

Dave

dooitbig

Lifetime Membership
Jan 14, 2009
ks
dave you are located in rapid city sd right? like i said i would like to ride one first but what kind of money are we talkin if i have you install the turbo and all the goodies that u would recomend?

dooitbig

Lifetime Membership
Jan 14, 2009
ks
We are aiming to have a center mount 1000 conversion Turbo XP on the snow later this spring. But you can ride the normal sidemount turbo anytime. If you are out west, shoot me a pm with your location and Id be happy to meet up and go for a ride!

Jake

i will hit you up on that! harvest is almost wound up here and im diein to get out there and rip some pow. i think the first trip is planned 4 dec 17th to the snowies but i can fly by the seat of my pants if the snow is right where are you located? normally ride the eastern part of the rockies.

D
Oct 19, 2003
Rapid City, South Dakota
Jake is in Washington. I get down to the Snowies a fair amount of the time, so it would be easier for me to hook up with you. Jake aint against driving though:eek:. He might just make the trip too. I might be able to meet up with you in December. It seems like there are some others I have to ride with down there about the same time. If not I can always shoot down for a day trip if I need to.

The basic kit is $4700 with boost and fuel pressure gauges and the clutching is $350 and either an EGT or AFR gauge is $350 also. It depends on what you want to get from me. If you want to supply your own gauge (EGT or AFR) and try your own clutching then you have that option. You can always give me a call and we can discuss it in more detail.

Dave

i will hit you up on that! harvest is almost wound up here and im diein to get out there and rip some pow. i think the first trip is planned 4 dec 17th to the snowies but i can fly by the seat of my pants if the snow is right where are you located? normally ride the eastern part of the rockies.

dooitbig

Lifetime Membership
Jan 14, 2009
ks
Jake is in Washington. I get down to the Snowies a fair amount of the time, so it would be easier for me to hook up with you. Jake aint against driving though:eek:. He might just make the trip too. I might be able to meet up with you in December. It seems like there are some others I have to ride with down there about the same time. If not I can always shoot down for a day trip if I need to.

The basic kit is $4700 with boost and fuel pressure gauges and the clutching is $350 and either an EGT or AFR gauge is $350 also. It depends on what you want to get from me. If you want to supply your own gauge (EGT or AFR) and try your own clutching then you have that option. You can always give me a call and we can discuss it in more detail.

Dave

ill give you a shout in the next day or 2
thanks jason

Premium Features