• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Question about 05 1000 summitx

sleddude

Lifetime Membership
Just wondering if it's a reliable sled and if I should buy one or not. I have a Polaris 06 900 166 and it has around 152hp just want a little more. It's actually been a reliable sled.

well, your coming of an equally retarted sled, depends on which one you get and what mods are done, they run HARD if setup right and will last plenty long, but just like the poo 900 they do weird stuff..

they make some dang good power with just a can and pods on em! and throw a t-stat on em.

If your willing to work on em a bit, they are RIPPERS. if not, go elsewhere/

well, your coming of an equally retarted sled, depends on which one you get and what mods are done, they run HARD if setup right and will last plenty long, but just like the poo 900 they do weird stuff..

they make some dang good power with just a can and pods on em! and throw a t-stat on em.

If your willing to work on em a bit, they are RIPPERS. if not, go elsewhere/

Ya true. I don't mind working on a sled to get it dialed in. My 900 needed a few things but now its a strong running sled.

The 05 1000's are going for around 3500 it seems like. So I've been thinking about getting a 2nd sled.

I was reading a few old threads and it seems like the guys that have had one liked them.

What does adding the t-stat do? Is it hard to do? Also read about moving the fuel pump? Whats that do?

Last edited:
I love mine BUT is was hard to get used to
They are a tank if you don't show it who is boss and you'll look like a rookie.
When you get a hang of it this sled will run with the best of them

as far as it being a tank, there not light, but i rode the crap out of one and im #165 with gear on. and heck for the price, i can live with some weight. just dont get stuck alone. it takes a bit more input to get it to responde, but if your willing to ride it hard, it will do what you want.

no it doesnt handle like an M xp or a dragon, but heck, its got a lot of power to!!!

T-stat is really easy to do, i did it in half an hour with a leatherman only, pretty easy mod. it keeps the sled running within operating temps so it doesnt go into the cold mode in the ecu which cuts timing and fuel(less power) the mods that make it work are easy.

fuel pump move is pretty darn easy as well!

if you pick one up for cheap, and dont mind working on sleds then they are great, and yeah, the are not light, but your going from one tractor to another, I honestly think mine handles better as far as laying over and carving then my rev.

I've really grown to like my RT. Yea it took some getting used to...especially jumpin on it after a old wedge mod...but as soon as I got used to the weight difference it's alot of fun. And yea, it has its problems but overall I really like it. If you get one with the boondocker control box, it will be a night and day difference in the power and snap...and you can also add a little thing called NOS :D You shouldn't have a problem with the sled jumping on it from a 900.

t-stat

all's it does is keep the motor at a more constant temp. do a search on it turbo al put some pics up for the install. the prob was going from hard pack to powder the motor cooled to quicky witch is not a good on things .

Sleddude, I left the RT1000 for the 06 900 Polaris last summer. The RT is a much heavier riding/feeling sled than the 900. The 1000 has just a small; bit more power (definately smoother) but is burdened by the extra weight when it comes to climbing. The 900 is a much easier boondocker also. And the torque of the 9 easily outdoes the 1000 climbing.

The issues of both sleds are equal, with maybe the slight edge going to the 1000. If you're looking for more pow out of that 9, give Chris a call at Carls Cycle about a 975 this summer for those epic, deep, endless pow days and then get a light weight 6 or 700 for those less than stellar foggy, boondocking in the tree days.

Sleddude, I left the RT1000 for the 06 900 Polaris last summer. The RT is a much heavier riding/feeling sled than the 900. The 1000 has just a small; bit more power (definately smoother) but is burdened by the extra weight when it comes to climbing. The 900 is a much easier boondocker also. And the torque of the 9 easily outdoes the 1000 climbing.

The issues of both sleds are equal, with maybe the slight edge going to the 1000. If you're looking for more pow out of that 9, give Chris a call at Carls Cycle about a 975 this summer for those epic, deep, endless pow days and then get a light weight 6 or 700 for those less than stellar foggy, boondocking in the tree days.

Ya maybe your right about the lighter sled for boondocking. My 900's heavy enough. I thought they would have about the same feel since they're close to the same weight.

Found one for sale with 600 miles on it and lots of extras. My 900 has 2000 now so I'm thinking about what i should do for next season, either a top end on my 900 or keep it as a back up and run the 1000 for a couple years.

Just a FYI--the 900 was 20lbs+ heavier than the 1000 was out of the box.

There are some great running 900's out there--but they have more things to be worked through than the 1000 does to make them run hard.
900--152hp
1000--175hp

Both are heavy--I love my 1000--but it is getting to heavy for a old guy to throw around all day--and snow conditions will dictate how good your day is--I have had days were my sled runs with almost anything on the hill and other days with different conditions where I might as well sit at the bottom:mad:--I have little sleds beating me up hills because I am just to heavy. Simple mods will pull 25lbs off of the 1000 and get the clutching under control and definitly put a roller secondary on it and get some air in to the hood. Then RIDE>

As for a big bore for the 900--no--do the 1000 and get the bikeman 1150 kit--over 200HP.

H20SKE...

4000+ miles on my 05 1000 and still going strong.

Just a FYI--the 900 was 20lbs+ heavier than the 1000 was out of the box.
With All Due respect..this is incorrect

Skidoo published the weight of the RT 50 lbs. LESS than what it really was. Just like the 06's having a 2.5 inch track. (LMAO) Don't you remeber all the peeps that took their sleds home and found some to be pushing 600lbs dry only to return them to the dealer??

All of the typical removable items can be removed from a 900 also. The dry weight of my 1000 was 589lbs. The horsepower that the 900 loses to the 1000, is more than made up for by the torque of the 900. An SLP pipe and reflash on a 9 will give you the 172 HP And the 975 is in another leauge!!

It's very reliable.
Buy it, you'll like it.
I've enjoyed my 05, 151 since it was new.
Be sure to set the clutch up for where you want to ride.
Enjoy it on the washboard trails & climbing--it won't beat you up!
Plenty of air to the clutch and engine will keep you and the sled happy.

With All Due respect..this is incorrect

Skidoo published the weight of the RT 50 lbs. LESS than what it really was. Just like the 06's having a 2.5 inch track. (LMAO) Don't you remeber all the peeps that took their sleds home and found some to be pushing 600lbs dry only to return them to the dealer??

All of the typical removable items can be removed from a 900 also. The dry weight of my 1000 was 589lbs. The horsepower that the 900 loses to the 1000, is more than made up for by the torque of the 900. An SLP pipe and reflash on a 9 will give you the 172 HP And the 975 is in another leauge!!

Wow 589 is heavy.

That's another good point about getting the SLP performance package on the 900 to drop weight and gain some hp.

http://www.specialtysleds.com/custombuilds/1000 cc rev 162/default.htm

check out the link, shows more about the 05 from them

throw a can on it, high comp head, 07 mapping with those first 3 mods looking at about 185-191hp, dj clutch kit, or rapid roller secondary, they do rip, but take time to get use to being heavy, mine still feels heavy and i have a lot of light weight parts

by the way, i have a can and high comp heads, and a bunch of r&m vents i'll never use, if you want them let me know, possibly will have a dj clutch kit too

now make sure you take the secondary and primary apart, clean them, replace the sliders in the secondary, would be 3 black in secondary, the 3 red are usually fine, then in primary replace the buttons, total of 6

Last edited:
so then put an 1100 big bore on the 1000, that polaris 900 with 975 kit would have nothing on the skidoo

stock for stock the rt will beat the polaris. my buddy rides an rmk 9 and i have to admit it climbs but they are the cheapest built pieces of sh#* ever built. If you haven't bought one yet look for the summit x. I dont know what the differences are but I didnt like the blue and yellow summit I tried. I pulled the swaybar off, and put prefilter material over the intake so it doesnt suck in snow. The x felt like it handles better and has a little more power.

Proud 1000 owner my self. The only reason i am selling mine is I dont need that big of a track. You are all right about being little on the heavy side but I had mine and a XP side to side all day this year and the XP dude was pissed he couldnt keep up. It is a b!%ch to dig out when stuck though. If you get the 1000 do a boondocker box and nitrous, then work out the forarms all summer and hold on tight because it will pull smooth and fast. When you compare price with HP of a summit 1000 you cant go wrong.

Premium Features

Back