• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

** Project Plush: Elka Stage 5 shocks with ZBroz 39" arms. **--ride reports

Thread Rating
5.00 star(s)

Scott

Scott Stiegler
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 1998
W Mont
Going with a full set of four Elka Stage 5 racing shocks for my 2013 Pro RMK front and rear suspension.

Taking them out of the box, I'm immediately impressed with their finish and quality.
These are SAWEET!

I'll be documenting this project as I go with pictures, ride reports and product reviews.

https://www.facebook.com/ElkaSuspension

http://www.elkasuspension.com/products/snowmobile/snow-stage5/#tab-5

attachment.php

This picture shows a triple rate spring.
I am going with dual rates.

The Piggyback reservoirs have the Low Speed (Red Dial) and High Speed (Black Dial) compression adjustments, as well as a rebound adjustment control (red dial) with the adjuster at the opposite end of the shock (although it's a gold bleed screw in the picture below). Super adjustable.

I'll post more soon about where to start on dialing them in.
I hope to have a couple rides on them yet this season.
I'll start getting some of MY pictures up in the next day.

http://www.elkasuspension.com/wp-content/uploads/2001/09/SNOW-36-Stage5_Full-218x1024.jpg

SNOW-36-Stage5_Full-218x1024.jpg

(From Elka's website)

Description

The Stage 5 Snowmobile shocks are based off the latest evolution of our high-performance racing ATV platform. It is designed around 3 key performance factors: high hydraulic flow, lightweight components and low-friction internal and moving parts.
Thanks to massive oil displacement, the Stage 5 internals allow a highly precise tuning and smooth damping action while being very consistent through long rides. Our high flow concept also provide more usable adjustment range than any other shocks currently available for snowmobiles.
There is no need to explain all the obvious benefits from reducing the overall weight of your vehicle. By using lightweight components,such as our new redesigned springs, the Stage 5 shocks not only help achieve your weight target but is also more responsive because there is less mass to move (less inertia). You can ride lighter and worry-free knowing that your sled is standing on a solid, proven coil over shock design.
The Stage 5‘s low friction internals have very little stiction, the initial stickiness caused by the friction of internal moving parts against the seals. All those features combined make the Stage 5 the most comfortable and best performing snowmobile shocks on the market today.

Adjustments

• Spring Preload
  • Rebound Damping
  • Low-Speed Compression Damping
  • High-Speed Compression Damping
Why buy this model

• Best performing snowmobile shocks available on the market
  • Adjustments that provides complete control of all damping aspects
  • Maximum performance and comfort for any type of riding in any snow conditions
Features

• HIGH-FLOW HYDRAULIC DESIGN with huge oil ports, providing massive oil flow and same flow capacity between compression and rebound stroke
  • Tuning specifically optimized for your snowmobile model
  • Spring setup and rate according to your personal weight
  • High-volume external reservoir which allows massive oil flow
  • Durable and completely serviceable
  • Wide range of highly effective adjustment
  • Lightweight aluminum body
  • Low-friction, durable premium-quality seals, o-rings and wearbands
  • Detailed CNC-machining work and smooth anodized finish
Benefits

• Improved handling and better stability in any snow conditions
  • Plush absorption of impacts and vibrations
  • More precise direction by keeping skis in contact with the snow
  • Increased protection against bottoming-out
  • Consistent damping and predictable handling
  • Increased performance and comfort
logo.png

In addition to this (no project comes without the "extras"), the ski shocks are ~16.6" and they won't fit into my 2013 arms, so I am going with Z-broz 39" arms.
http://www.zbrozracing.com/ars-fx-polaris-pro-rmk-snowmobile-39-a-arm-kit

Quick Overview

Ars FX A Arms for the IQ /RMK/Pro RMK series chassis are much stronger than your stock arms and they also offer the industries only high ground clearance A Arm. These arms are a direct replacement for your stock Pro RMK or IQ RMK A Arms. These Arms have been race tested by top RMSHA Hill Climb Teams. And endorsed by backcountry pro's like Geoff "Phatty" Dyer, Matt Entz and many more. Arms are also compatible with stock sway bar connections for 2009 and newer sway bar. Powder coated gloss black

Product Description

Ars FX A Arms for the IQ /RMK/Pro RMK series chassis are much stronger than your stock arms and they also offer the industries only high ground clearance A Arm. Direct replacement width for RMK width machines Kit Includes, Upper and lower Chromoly A Arms, and aluminum Tie Rods. (39” kits use the stock tie rods) This arm kit measures 39" This measurement is done with the sled on the ground and is from center of spindle to center of spindle. Arms are also compatible with stock sway bar connections for 2009 and newer sway bar. Requires the use of 17.50" long shock or stock 2011-2012 length. Call or email if you have a fitment question. Powder coated gloss black.
If using on a 2008/2010 sled use this Polaris bushing: 5434932

05-2013_rmk_close_2.jpg

05-2013_rmk_1_1.jpg

Here is where I started. Stay tuned.......

attachment.php

attachment.php

elka.jpg compressedIMG_4012.jpg compressedIMG_4008.jpg compressedIMG_4020.jpg

Last edited:

Scott

Scott Stiegler
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 1998
W Mont
I was buzzing along nicely last night and snapping pictures as I went...until I ran into the need for a press so I can relocate the lower ball joint on my lower stock a-arm from to the new 39" Zbroz arm.

Last edited:

Scott

Scott Stiegler
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 1998
W Mont
It is ideal to pull the skid for this.

I'm doing this with NO power tools. Just ratchets and wrenches under good old fashioned man-power.
attachment.php

Last edited:

Scott

Scott Stiegler
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 1998
W Mont
Taking notes, weighing shocks and skid for weight differences.

It seems like Polaris has gone with a mixture of (mostly) metric and SAE in the suspension components.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

compressedIMG_4022.jpg compressedIMG_4014.jpg compressedIMG_4018.jpg compressedIMG_4017.jpg compressedIMG_4019.jpg

Last edited:

Scott

Scott Stiegler
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 1998
W Mont
The rear suspension shock size and weights:

Rear track shock:
stock: 5.2lbs and 16 7/8"
Elka: 6.4lbs and 16 7/8" "

Front track shock:
stock: 2.8lbs and 11 3/4"
Elka: 4.0lbs and 11 3/4

Total skid weight:
stock: 45.6lbs
Elka: 48.0lbs

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

compressedIMG_4026.jpg compressedIMG_4011.jpg compressedIMG_4027.jpg compressedIMG_4010.jpg compressedIMG_4029.jpg

Last edited:

Scott

Scott Stiegler
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 1998
W Mont
Next begins the tear-down of the stock left front end.
As I said, these shocks are too long for the 2013 stock arms, so I am installing Zbroz Racing 39" front end kit.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

compressedIMG_4030.jpg compressedIMG_4033.jpg compressedIMG_4036.jpg

Scott

Scott Stiegler
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 1998
W Mont
Beginning to get everything fitted in for a mock-up. Still have to press in the ball joints for lower a-arms.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

compressedIMG_4037.jpg compressedIMG_4038.jpg compressedIMG_4039.jpg compressedIMG_4040.jpg compressedIMG_4041.jpg compressedIMG_4042.jpg compressedIMG_4043.jpg

Last edited:

Scott

Scott Stiegler
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 1998
W Mont
Now getting the shocks mocked up.

Front ski shocks:
stock: 3.6lbs and 16.625"
Elka: 5.4lbs and 17.25"

Scott

Scott Stiegler
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 1998
W Mont
This is where I get to show off these really nice compression and rebound adjustments.

The red dial on the reservoir has 35 clicks in it's adjustment range for slow speed compression.

The black dial has 20 clicks for high speed compression adjustment.

The little red dial at the bottom of the shock has 50 clicks for rebound adjustment.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

compressedIMG_4060.jpg compressedIMG_4061.jpg compressedIMG_4062.jpg compressedIMG_4063.jpg compressedIMG_4059.jpg

Scott

Scott Stiegler
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 1998
W Mont
Next move is to have the lower ball joints pressed in and then I can get it bolted together, go through and nut everything down, adjust the steering and then find a starting point on the clickers.

I am really excited to get these on the snow a couple times before I have to put it away for the summer.

attachment.php

compressedIMG_4064.jpg

Scott

Scott Stiegler
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 1998
W Mont
It does actually.
HM Turbos did that when I went with the 3" track. He called it the poorman's K-mod.

It helps keep the skis down to about 4" of carry on steep climbs.

Last edited:
Premium Features