• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Pro with Khaos under-pinnings?

V

volcano buster

Nov 26, 2007
Stayton Oregon
I have a Pro-155 as a spare sled that I will never wear out. I would like it to ride a little more sporty and more like my Khaos-155.

Any reason that a Khaos conversion couldn't be zippered into this skid?
I'm not sure about the front end "React" suspension yet. Likely a bolt up wallet lightening conversion as well.

BeartoothBaron

Lifetime Membership
Nov 2, 2017
Roberts, MT
I've wondered about this myself. My Pro is a 163, and it's great in deep snow, but in anything less, it's a workout. It would be nice to get more weight transfer: even with the FTS turned up, RTS turned down, and ski springs as loose as they'll go, the front is heavy on set up snow. IceAge's site says their Khaos rails will work on the Pro, and make it a little more Khaos-like, but you can't go to a longer limiter strap with the stock front track shock. Obviously, they have a full conversion package for the AXYS, but I don't know what it'd take to make that work in a Pro. I think with the rails and a longer front track shock and limiter strap, you could make some real progress, but it'd be easy to throw things off too. Maybe the Assault FTS would work? If that were the case, I'd think you could do it for less than $1000. I'm not sure how close that'd get you to a real Khaos, but it's not unreasonable if it breathes new life into the sled. I'm sure somebody's at least taken a stab at a Khaos Pro, could be worth the effort.

V

volcano buster

Nov 26, 2007
Stayton Oregon
After riding my Khaos for 2 short seasons I'm not after making the Pro a Khaos replica in all aspects, just hoping to improve the weight transfer and give it a little sportier feel. The narrow front end on the Khaos is fine when you are riding aggressively, but for less experienced riders it can be a handful.

BeartoothBaron

Lifetime Membership
Nov 2, 2017
Roberts, MT
That makes sense. I can't see why the Khaos rails combined with the Assault FTS and limiter would cause any problems, and would give you more "Khaos." I've got thoughts of doing that myself, but don't want to spend the time and money without some idea that it'll work well. Hopefully somebody who's tried it can chime in...

M
Feb 21, 2016
Bend, Oregon
The Khaos rails are the same tip up as the "Rmk assault" 2011-2015. They achieved the khaos playfulness while being able to use the same mounting location as the pro by lengthening the front torque arm and limit strap.

I've found a happing medium using the lower pilot hole, lengthening the limiter strap and running a anti-stab with the stock profile rails(ice age bombers). I did this on my 15' pro turbo 155 and my 17' pro 155 stage 3. Doesn't trench, and is more playful without any sacrifices. The 17' is a 36" set narrow and newbies do struggle with it, 39" arms would be a good fit for you from the sounds of it.

If you're interested I have a set of RMK Assault rails that i'll be selling, building a 146" out of my old pro.

I will say that to this day my 2011 RMK assault, clutched, geared down, pro a-arms, peak 2.5 track is probably my favorite sled i've had. Worked awesome throughout the Pac NW and was very fun(playful) and was always first through technical terrain.

V

volcano buster

Nov 26, 2007
Stayton Oregon
I keep reading that a Khaos front arm is longer. Which mounting point is changed to allow a longer arm, is the rail hole mounted further back, or the tunnel hole mounted forward, or both, or neither?

I would imagine Assault rails and a longer limiter strap would not require an anti-stab?

What shocks did you run with this set up? Ideally, I'd love to install Khaos dual adjust W/E if they fit.

Thanks

V

volcano buster

Nov 26, 2007
Stayton Oregon
Maybe I am comparing apples to oranges, but so be it.

'13 Pro front swing arm is 1/16" shorter than my '20 Khaos.
'20 Khaos limiter strap allows the distance between the two bars to be 3/16" further apart.
Both front swing arms are mounted in the upper hole in the tunnel.

Comparing parts numbers for a '13 Pro vs. Assault, the swing arm and limiter strap is the same part #, just a difference in rails. I will look at shocks next.

C
Dec 14, 2020
This is excuse time.

Time for a carbon skid for the 20, then move the khaos skid to the pro. Add some axys spindles and you're on a wide axys with an 800?

J
Mar 4, 2023
Miramichi, NB
The Khaos rails are the same tip up as the "Rmk assault" 2011-2015. They achieved the khaos playfulness while being able to use the same mounting location as the pro by lengthening the front torque arm and limit strap.

I've found a happing medium using the lower pilot hole, lengthening the limiter strap and running a anti-stab with the stock profile rails(ice age bombers). I did this on my 15' pro turbo 155 and my 17' pro 155 stage 3. Doesn't trench, and is more playful without any sacrifices. The 17' is a 36" set narrow and newbies do struggle with it, 39" arms would be a good fit for you from the sounds of it.

If you're interested I have a set of RMK Assault rails that i'll be selling, building a 146" out of my old pro.

I will say that to this day my 2011 RMK assault, clutched, geared down, pro a-arms, peak 2.5 track is probably my favorite sled i've had. Worked awesome throughout the Pac NW and was very fun(playful) and was always first through technical terrain.
How much did you lengthen your limiter strap? Did you have to get a new strap?

And by the lower pilot hole you mean drill out the hole under where the torque arm currently is mounted eh?

M
Feb 21, 2016
Bend, Oregon
How much did you lengthen your limiter strap? Did you have to get a new strap?

And by the lower pilot hole you mean drill out the hole under where the torque arm currently is mounted eh?
I’d have to look how much longer but I’m using the stock strap just not doubled onto itself like it comes stock and I’m using a second one so when the skid is under load the front of the rails are tipped down it does flex to the side. I think that’s one of the reasons the front torque arms fail so often.

Yes drilled it lower pilot

V
Feb 11, 2023
Illinois
How are the mods going? Just converted my 2015 155 to a 163 with Iceage Khaos rails, added Elevate spindles along with Trencher 36" a-arms. Wondering if I should install the Fox shocks and longer limiter strap in the skid.

Premium Features