• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Primary Clutch Rebuild

Cummins88

Lifetime Membership
Hi guys,

I have a 2016 SKS 800 with 3000 ish miles and I would like to have my primary clutch rebuilt/overhauled.

Any good places in Canada to send it out to?

Thanks,
Mike

Buy the parts and do it yourself. It's pretty ez. There is a shop outside of Revy that helped us last yr with some parts and welding.

Reactions: TRS
Having a dealer perform the rebuild may cost you almost as much as a new clutch. Spider rebuild kit $175.00, bushings $75.00. Some dealers charge 2 hrs. at $110.00/hr. Some guys I know have found it's cheaper to buy new. Performing the rebuild yourself is the way to go, but specialty tools for holding and breakdown need to be acquired or built first. If you can find someone to perform the breakdown for free you'll save a few bucks.

@AdrenalineAddict – I had a dealer service mine and screw it up so badly they had to buy me a new one. No idea how or why, but it looked like they took a grinder with a flap wheel to the sheaves. It did cost less than a new one, so I guess I got a great deal on a brand new clutch at the end of the day. Unless you know your dealer is good with clutches, you're just about guaranteed to get a better rebuild for cheaper by sending it somewhere.

I'd skip the full DIY approach unless you're keeping several sleds up; if you've got someone local who can do the break-down and torque it back up, that's what I'd do. I'm pretty hands-on, and will probably buy the tools some day, but right now it's not worth the investment (to include making my own – another option) for how much I'd use them.

I just reshimmed and indexed my clutch last weekend. Simple work with the right tools. My clutch holder hangs off the hitch on my truck.

• Wow
Reactions: TRS
I’ve rebuilt approximately 10-15 clutches over the years. Invested in the tools about 10 years ago when I was riding a 99 XC 700. I’m definitely no guru, but the cost of the rebuild parts keeps climbing and the quality of the rebuild parts keeps falling from what I’ve noticed since the first clutch I rebuilt complete about 10 years ago. I’ve tried almost all of the brands and none seem to be of oem quality and they wear fast. I think I’m done with rebuilding clutches and will just buy new takeoffs/replacements from here on out. Typically when a clutch wears out the spider gets grooves in it, the shelves are worn, etc. doesn’t make sense to stick $200 into a clutch like that when you can get brand new for ~$400 from what i usually see.

@Indy_500, would you include Polaris replacement parts in that? Looks like, for my clutch at least, you can get a spider rebuild kit and the sleeves for around $170. Now, if you have to pay $200 to have someone do the rebuild, a new clutch doesn't seem too bad. I'm seeing $475 for my clutch from Babbitt's. On the other hand, if you can DIY, or if the clutch just needs a few wear items replaced, I'd think it's at least worth doing a mid-life rebuild before going to a new one. Shame that all the aftermarket parts are getting to be junk, but I'd hope the OE stuff is the same as you get in a new clutch. But maybe then that's not so great anymore either...

Just to be clear, I wasn't looking at prices for an AXYS clutch specifically, but they're similar: $463 for the full clutch. No rebuild kit though; looks like $190 for the same parts, plus another $35 for the bushings. For an upkeep rebuild, you probably won't need everything though.

It really is getting harder and harder to get a quality rebuild without doing it yourself. The last dealer rebuild I had done came back with button to tower clearance way out., .008, .0010, .0015, and one broken (pinched thrust washer) not sure how this can even be done unless they're thinning buttons with a bench grinder. I like to see all three somewhere between .002 and .004 for a good snug restart. I guess that's why I became a do it yourselfer.

Word of warning, if you decide to get into rebuilding make sure you stick with O.E.M. parts. I tried an aftermarket kit a few years ago because I was fed up with the O.E.M. price increases. I believe I paid $60.00 for rollers, thrust washers, pins, buttons. When I went to assemble, the pins were a couple thousandths to small in diameter and did not even have an interference fit with the spider, they literally fell through the bore. I ended up throwing the kit in the garbage and started over.

@AdrenalineAddict Yeah, that's kind of what I suspected. I'm guessing back in the day you could get as good or even better quality rebuild kits aftermarket if you knew what brand to go with. Now even some of the brands that used to be solid are selling offshore stuff that, in the best case, is still more expensive in the long run because it wears out sooner. Worst case, it could cause abnormal wear to the point where the clutch is junk in a few hundred miles. They make out like kings because they can buy all the bits for something like $15, then sell them for $60-100, and the only value the end user gets is an expensive lesson on cheap parts.

As with most sled projects they can be done at home once you get all the correct tools and the parts. Once you re-assemble, its a good idea to have it balanced. Even a new clutch should be checked after the weights and springs are installed. Very seldom are even new weights the same. An out of balance clutch puts a lot of stress on your crankshaft.

Premium Features

Back