• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

PowerMadd Riser & Some Custom Venting

R
Dec 3, 2001
CO
Installed a 2" PowerMadd riser and some custom venting today.

The riser came with bolts (only), no nuts to fit the bolts...???? The hex bolts don't fit into the steering cup, so I had to get phillip headed bolts and nuts from the h/w store. Then proceed to file/grind down the bolt heads to get them to fit into the cup properly. Ugh..anyone else deal with that w/ the PM riser? Did I order the wrong PN? o.O

I'm sorta wishing I'd went with the 1" riser, I think 2" is a bit much...I didn't factor in having to still use the stock cup/clamp, and figured I'd only be going up 1.5" or so (assuming the stock piece is ~.5"??? maybe a bit less).

Ideally I think a 1.5" riser would be best (for me).

Anyway...

I also did a bit of drilling in the hood/cowl plastics, to compliment the guage cage vent. I feel it should help a bit with dispersing the rising heat.

PB album

01ventsnriser.jpg

05sidecowvent-1.jpg

02ventsrisernguagecage.jpg

02ventsrisernguagecage-1.jpg

03riserguagecage.jpg

Update 2011/03-23:
Feeling that I still need more venting, I cut a few holes in the side panel, hopefully in strategic locations that won't be laid over into the snow all the time when carving.
I was considering a hole on top of the primary, on that flat shelf, but then feared snow 'sitting' there and melting into the clutch/belt.
I really like how the lower/rear vent turned out, which looks right into the 2ndary clutch. But it tucks in behind the rear/side plastic, so I don't think it'll take on too much snow
I may still need to consider an outer vent, but will see how these work first. I'd like to find some plastic to make a frame, glue screen to it, then pop rivet the frame/vent on.
PB album
02venting.jpg

04venting.jpg

Last edited:

TOlsen

Lifetime Membership
Feb 25, 2008
Martin City, MT
Ole's machine made me a 1.5" riser for my pro, fits me just right. Mike at Ole's was great, exchanged the taller one, and custom made the 1.5".

R
Dec 3, 2001
CO
A little off topic, but how do you like the powder pros?

Bought the sled with them, so I've never ridden a Pro w/ stockers.

They seem to work well for me so far; but I don't know any different.
Good on the trail, great on an edge, but that could just be the chassis too... :)

I have no pressing desire to replace them or try anything different atm anyway.

Note: I did just set my stance to the narrowest setting, it was set centered. I think I'm also going to do my own "Carl's Mod" cut soon or later.

Last edited:

thu man

Lifetime Membership
Sep 29, 2010
Boise, Idaho
I went with the 2" powermadd riser and really like it. I am 6'3" and I like that it moves me back off the skis a bit. I also just went to my local bolt supply and bought the 6mm socket head stainless bolts that were apx. 2" longer.

MOWER800

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Layton Utah
riser

I am only 5'8" and I wanted a little more rise so I took an old clamp off of a 99 rmk and used the bottom half off the pro for my rise and used some bolts I had for an old 1" riser and its perficted now

icerider600

Lifetime Membership
Jan 22, 2008
Castlewood SD
I went with the 2" powermadd riser and really like it. I am 6'3" and I like that it moves me back off the skis a bit. I also just went to my local bolt supply and bought the 6mm socket head stainless bolts that were apx. 2" longer.

Now do you have to change any of the cables or anything else to longer ones when you put on the 2"?? I am about the same height and I dont want to be pulling and breaking anything on the mountain with no parts with me:scared:

R
Dec 3, 2001
CO
Now do you have to change any of the cables or anything else to longer ones when you put on the 2"?? I am about the same height and I dont want to be pulling and breaking anything on the mountain with no parts with me:scared:

I clipped the zip ties holding the throttle cable, and rerouted it some, I didn't like it stretching "at all", so by rerouting it I removed that concern. I think its mainly about removing the zip ties.

Break hose has plenty of length to it, no worries there.

The wiring can be worked around a bit and will work no problem with a 2".

Last edited:
R
Dec 3, 2001
CO
what kind of material did you put behind your "custom venting"

I got some screen from the hardware store.
Just made sure it was not a metal material.
$.69/foot ... The glue cost more. :P

They had some dog proof screen, but it looked way over kill.

The vents worked well today, heat coming out all of them.
I still feel I may need more clutch side venting...or reclutching?
After a few long pulls belt and clutches were plenty toasty. Maybe a one-onethousand hold, give or take on the clutches.

And the 2" rise feels much much better for me, I'm ~6' 2" bare foot. Add a couple inches for boots and snow/ice pack...

R
Dec 3, 2001
CO
Update 2011/03-23:
Feeling that I still need more venting, I cut a few holes in the side panel, hopefully in strategic locations that won't be laid over into the snow all the time when carving.
I was considering a hole on top of the primary, on that flat shelf, but then feared snow 'sitting' there and melting into the clutch/belt.
I really like how the lower/rear vent turned out, which looks right into the 2ndary clutch. But it tucks in behind the rear/side plastic, so I don't think it'll take on too much snow
I may still need to consider an outer vent, but will see how these work first. I'd like to find some plastic to make a frame, glue screen to it, then pop rivet the frame/vent on.
PB album
02venting.jpg

04venting.jpg

R
Dec 3, 2001
CO
hey..

Whats with the Mountian, Bar Mounting????

to move it more back??

No, I bought the sled this way.. The original [1st] owner removed the stock cross bar and mountain strap (Why???). The 2nd owner made up this mount to at least have a functional mountain bar.
Replacing the cross bar only is not an option [from Polaris], must buy the whole bar setup (stupid). I've been trying to find a used cross bar, w/o luck.
And when I contacted RSI about it, they had no clue what I was after...but wanted to sell me a mountain strap.

So, anyone who has some bent/un-needed Pro Tapers, let me know, I want your cross bar [if it supports use of the mtn strap]! :D

B
Feb 3, 2011
Need help with riser size

I am 5'6" and 160-165lbs,what size riser 1",2" do i need if any,I have a 2012 pro rmk 800 155 coming and would like to start ordering stuff before it arrives

R
Dec 3, 2001
CO
I am 5'6" and 160-165lbs,what size riser 1",2" do i need if any,I have a 2012 pro rmk 800 155 coming and would like to start ordering stuff before it arrives

at 5'6" stockers prob good-just right. i'd ride it first as is and decide.
imo, bar height should always be determined by the user, not by total height, or by what others prefer.
leg, torso, and arm length all play a factor in preferred bar height and angle.

Reactions: bkpolhd
Premium Features