• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Power Valve Cleaning?

Hi,

I have a 04 600 RMK, I have never cleaned the power valves on my sled. Just wondering if some one has done this before and could give me the low down on how to do it and the intervals it should be done. I have run synthic oil since new and I have around 1500 miles on the sled now.

Thanks to all who reply

I clean mine every few rides and the best thing I have found to use is Oven Cleaner...

The link from Mountainhorse http://www.snowestonline.com/forum/showthread.php?t=194020&highlight=cleaning+exhaust+valves

The Poo book says the exhaust bellows should be cleaned only with soap and water. Harsh chemicals will break down the rubber. Pretty sure most everything is covered in the link. Warming the engine up will make it easier to remove the built up sludge. Blue loctite the nut that holds the diagram to the guillotine valve. If it has been 1500 miles you should notice a difference in performance.

I just cleaned mine, which weren't real bad, but now I get a metallic pinging sound when the engine is idling. The sound is coming from the front part of the engine, I suspect the power valves tapping around in their bores since there is more room to float.

Does this sound familiar or do I need to look further?

Do not over tighten nut that holds valve, and bellow in valve cylinder. Torque nut to 13 ft/lb torque +/- 1. be careful very easy to over tighten the valve is aluminum and over tightening will wreck it easily. Dad over tighten last week cost him a new valve. Inspect bellows look for rips, tears and wear, replace both if needed. Pick up new gaskets for between valve cyl and engine cyl before pulling apart as they will most likely be toast. They are not hard to maintain. Good luck.:beer;

Just cleaned mine, i do it once a season. it is very easy. pull the two bolts that hold them onto the engine and they should slide right out. As for cleaning them the manufactuer says to use some arisole brake cleaner and a scotch bright pad. this method is very efficent and very easy. make sure to put the valve back the same way it came out. i believe that the curved part goes in faceing down. flat side faceing up. and be careful to not tear the gaskit so you can reuse them

Premium Features

Back