• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Police State

S
Nov 26, 2007
Everett, Wa.
At some point Law Enforcement personell are going to have to take a stand and realize their employer is in violation of the Constitution of the United States and decide who they will support, big brother or the american people.
It has been clear to me for years that the political organizations that are the employers of the law enforcement personell clearly support the big brother scenario and federal trainning and expertise. It is my hope that LE will come down on the side of the constitution and not big brother otherwise the complete fall of the American experiment will be emminent. Swampy:mad::mad::eek:

Written by Beverly K. Eakman
Monday, 05 October 2009 14:00
We’ve all heard the expressions “mission creep” and “slippery slope.” But a front page headline in last week’s Washington Times, "DHS helps local police buy military-style sonic device," brings new meaning to these terms. If you’re an aficionado of spy thrillers and sci-fi novels, you may already be aware of Long-Range Acoustical Devices. LRADs are used to disperse militant crowds and enemy squadrons by emitting a piercing sound dangerous (and painful) enough to permanently damage hearing and temporarily distort vision.

Most people familiar with this high-tech instrument assume that its use is confined to violent mobs, looters, and enemy combatants in war zones.

Not any more.

Thanks to Department of Homeland Security grants, local police departments around the country are ordering these devices, and they have already been used at some of last summer’s more spirited town-hall meetings on health care. According to the manufacturer — American Technology Corporation (ATC), based in San Diego — they exist solely to “influence [people’s] behavior and gain compliance.”

Well, that’s comforting.

Using a military-grade weapon that permanently damages hearing to “influence behavior” and “gain compliance” is a far cry from crowd control.

When we think about crowd control, most of us imagine barriers, barricades, and belt-like stanchions keeping long lines of people in queue. Or, for riot situations, we think of smoke grenades, tear gas, batons, and foam bullets aimed at maintaining order in the wake of a natural disaster; curbing hyped-up students who hurl rocks, bottles, and Molotov cocktails at the behest of professional agitators, injuring innocent bystanders; and battling war-zone insurgents infamous for wearing improvised explosives (IEDs).

To find that Homeland Security, ostensibly formed to protect Americans from foreign terrorists, is actively encouraging local police to crush dissent by inflicting grievous bodily harm on average citizens, steps over the line of acceptability.

Make no mistake — a grant is a form of “encouragement.” Every year, government agencies and private foundations disseminate booklets filled with wish-lists of desired projects, complete with descriptions of the coveted end result and the amount of grant money available to the successful applicant. For example, the U.S. Department of Education might float a grant entitled “TEEN PREGNANCY PREVENTION,” among other projects. The U.S. Department of Defense might entitle another “RIOT DISPERSAL.” Contenders throw their hat in the ring based on their expertise in the field. The “prize” (i.e., the grant or contract) is awarded on the basis of cost, uniqueness, and reputation, among other criteria. But in soliciting competitors, the project itself is legitimized.

According to Wikipedia, LRADs are high-pitched, high-frequency “cannons” which, at maximum level, emit tones of 146 dBSPL (1,000 W/m²) at 1 meter, a level that is capable of permanently damaging hearing, and way above the human threshold of pain (120–140 dB).

Originally developed for the U.S. Navy’s use in combat zones abroad, this tool of war is increasingly becoming a fixture in local law enforcement agencies, although ATC wouldn’t release a list to the Times. A few cities, however, are known to have them — e.g., San Diego, Pittsburgh, New York, and Miami.

What makes LRADs more worrisome than earlier riot-control gear is, first, the permanence of the damage and, second, the resemblance to outright torture. Even this might be tolerable to some, were it being used to thwart real terrorists, mass murderers, fire-bombers, and snipers, or even to subdue and recapture violent convicts. But police placing LRADs at contentious town-hall meetings broaches entirely new territory. It is only a matter of time — and not much time — before unthinkable weapons are unleashed to break up peaceful demonstrators armed with nothing more than signs, T-shirts, and slogans. Consider:

In November 2007, the State of Maryland employed what amounts to terror tactics on otherwise peaceful parents who didn’t want their children vaccinated for fear of autism. They were worried, and properly so, about little kids getting too many vaccines at one sitting. Nevertheless, the youngsters were herded into a Prince George’s County courthouse, guarded by armed personnel with attack dogs. Inside, the children were forcibly vaccinated under orders from the State Attorney General, thereby stripping otherwise compliant citizens of any right to decide how they wished to protect their offspring from infectious diseases. Health authorities even threatened to jail parents for up to thirty days if they continued to refuse, thereby suppressing both public discussion and dissent. Never mind that vaccine “cocktails” are controversial even among medical experts when dispensed to children at ever-younger ages.

Now that “hate crimes” laws have been expanded to include whatever is politically incorrect at the moment, does government have carte blanche to employ everything from Taser-style “stun guns” to LRADs on citizen-protesters going to and from their destinations? Is there any line in the sand that cannot be crossed in the Age of Terrorism?

This is not to imply that the Taser-type “stun gun” (essentially electroshock weapons or “neuro-muscular incapacitators”) doesn’t have a place in law enforcement. Despite its potential for abuse — especially if set to a high level (called “drive stun”) — it beats shooting what often turns out to be an unarmed person or, worse, an innocent bystander, a frequent mistake when chasing a suspect. For that reason, many average folks want smaller versions for self-protection.

But LRADs are in a completely different category. There is no “lower” setting that’s effective. Once local law enforcement starts applying that level of intimidation on peaceful dissention — over health care, abortion, gays in the military, the Iraq War, homeschooling, federal land grabs in the Southwest, or whatever — then a precedent has been set for stun guns and other high-tech wizardry at the slightest provocation. Take, for example, a driver heatedly disputing a ticket for a seat-belt violation with a police officer. In the past, arguing might have earned the driver another citation for disorderly conduct. Would a good “tasering” now suffice?

It’s bad enough when a majority of citizens balk over how law-enforcement resources are spent, to no avail — such as roadways littered with an obstacle course of speed bumps and misrepresented “traffic safety” equipment like speed and red-light cameras, which most officials admit are purely for revenue enhancement. As if to add insult to injury, however, motorcycle gangs routinely crisscross over six lanes of traffic at 110 mph on the Washington, DC Capital Beltway’s Maryland side, terrorizing drivers at precisely the same hour every Saturday evening, without so much as a police helicopter assigned to catch the perpetrators, expensive electronic billboards flashing “AGGRESSIVE DRIVER IMAGING” notwithstanding.

Schools arbitrarily place aspirin on their “zero tolerance” lists; six-year-olds are called on the carpet for “sexual harassment” if they plant an endearing peck on a little girl’s face; and humiliation is rained down upon unsuspecting innocents for all sorts of silly offenses that in no way curbs dangerous miscreants. Shoppers must present a drivers’ license, address, and phone number to purchase an occasional box of Sudafed, the primary ingredient for which (pseudoephedrine) is somehow included in the Patriot Act, according to signs in local pharmacies. Unified prescription databases take aim at patients recovering from surgery (supposedly to catch prescription abusers), while open-air drug markets are avoided by police like the plague.

Government keeps pushing the envelope against the acquiescent, and always with the same justification: If you’ve nothing to hide, you won’t mind.

Except that people do mind. Most of the nuisance regulations and impositions cooked up over the past 20 years have crossed from inconvenience to harassment. We do not need protection from a few nitwits who want a “high” from sneeze remedies! We want to be defended against real predators.

The use of LRADs against folks exercising their constitutional rights is just one more in a long list of oversteps by government. It’s time for Americans to take back their prerogatives, beginning in local elections. Never accept a non-contested race. Reject candidates who fail to publicize their positions. Most politicians start locally, steadily padding their résumés for higher profile positions. Unless we nip excesses of power where they first appear, the “oversteps” of nobodies suddenly leap onto the national stage, where overnight, they become goosesteps.

Beverly K. Eakman, retired from the Justice Dept., is a lecturer, columnist, and the author of four books on mental health issues, data-trafficking, culture, and education. Her latest work is Walking Targets: How Our Psychologized Classrooms Are Producing a Nation of Sitting Ducks (Midnight Whistler Publishers, 2007).

W

Wolfrun

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Nov 26, 2007
Lander Wy
I love snowest cuz ....I come here and state some facts and everybody calls bs ....then a couple of months later it is front line news ..

always loved being the Peter Parker

Don't worry H2, It's like a lawyer told me the other day, "you are a gruff old rabbelrouser but that's why everybody loves you".

M

MPS

At some point Law Enforcement personell are going to have to take a stand and realize their employer is in violation of the Constitution of the United States and decide who they will support, big brother or the american people.
It has been clear to me for years that the political organizations that are the employers of the law enforcement personell clearly support the big brother scenario and federal trainning and expertise. It is my hope that LE will come down on the side of the constitution and not big brother otherwise the complete fall of the American experiment will be emminent. Swampy:mad::mad::eek:

I hope you know how I feel bro...I am not going to say anything specific or the big bad admin will get me for being an extremist. Long live the Constitution of our United States!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! God bless America!

Y

Yamahamod

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Jun 8, 2008
In my Bunker
www.facebook.com
Some times I feel like I am an extremist because I stand alone in my area against all of this bs. I only know just a few people who have actually put away alittle food away for themselves. Sometime it's hard to keep my mind straight on what I know and what the the real truth and motive behind the gov is.

Thanks for the article Swamp master :D

S
Nov 26, 2007
Everett, Wa.
I hope you know how I feel bro...I am not going to say anything specific or the big bad admin will get me for being an extremist. Long live the Constitution of our United States!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! God bless America!

No worries with the MPS but here are a few others in LE on here I don't think have your understanding. Must be to much LEAA. Now it's Twitter terror. Swampy:eek::D

Federal terrorism agents busted into a self-described anarchist’s New York home late last week and confiscated books, notebooks, newspapers, computers and even clothes. Helicopters circled overhead throughout the 16 hour search.

But the man was not being accused of terrorism, or anything even close to it. He was busted for “tweeting.” The terror squad that broke down his door was apparently seeking evidence of federal riot law violations, at least according to the warrant.

Elliot Madison is a 41-year-old social worker who was arrested in Pittsburg during the G-20 Summit for allegedly sending information to protestors via the social networking service known as Twitter. He is now being charged with hindering apprehension or prosecution, criminal use of a communication facility and possession of instruments of crime.

According to state police, law enforcement tracked him and a friend to a motel room where he was apparently operating a makeshift communications center and using a police scanner. The New York Times reported some of the notices that were sent out to protesters in an article entitled ‘Arrest Puts Focus on Protesters’ Texting.’ Among the messages: “SWAT teams rolling down 5th Ave.” and “Report received that police are ‘nabbing’ anyone that looks like a protester / Black Bloc. Stay alert watch your friends!”

Another tweet that came through read: “A comms facility was raided, but we are still fully operational please continue to submit reports.” After that, police eventually picked up on the fact that they were under surveillance. “Scanner just said be advised we’re being monitored by anarchists through scanner.”

The privacy watchdog Electronic Frontier Foundation obtained and posted online copies of relevant court documents, the search warrant and the original criminal complaint. Madison and his “co-conspirator” were apparently “observed seated infront [sic] of personal computers and telecommunication equipment, wearing headphones and microphones, with various maps, contact numbers and police and EMS scanners,” the police report stated. “It was further observed that they had been communicating with varioous [sic] protesters, and protest groups, both by us [sic] of cellular communications equipment and internet based communications, more commonly known as ‘Twitter.’”

For now, the Feds have been barred by a judge from going through the seized property from Madison‘s home, at least until the next hearing. The search was illegal, according to the anarchist’s lawyer in a filing with the court. Some of the confiscated materials are also protected by the First Amendment and may identify political associates, he claimed.

Madison has denied that he broke the law. “They arrested me for doing the same thing everybody else was doing, which was perfectly legal,” he said, noting that even G-20 organizers had used Twitter to report on summit events. “It was crucial for people to have the information we were sending.” His attorney, Martin Stolar, was also quoted by the Times, saying: “There’s absolutely nothing that he’s done that should subject him to any criminal liability.”

The American Civil Liberties Union has condemned the government actions. "I guess if you have 5,000 police officers and a quarter-million dollars in fancy equipment, you have to do something with it," Pennsylvania ACLU legal director Witold Walczak told the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette. "Might as well go after some amateur ham radio operators in a motel room.” He also noted that police can communicate secretly, but that police radios are not secure.

“These cases present difficult First Amendment issues,” George Washington University Law professor and former prosecutor Paul Butler told National Public Radio. “Often, [the protestors] are arrested for conduct that they didn’t even know was illegal — it wasn’t illegal five minutes ago — and so, in a sense, all of these tweets and twitters are just designed to get the message out about what’s legal now.” He also noted that some of the “tweeted” messages sounded like “pure journalism.”

Various estimates have placed the number of arrests during the G-20 at close to 200. The police acknowledge almost 100 of those. National Guard and law enforcement also deployed sound weapons, rubber bullets and tear gas against protesters and innocent by-standers. There have been reports of some minimal property damage caused by protesters or “agents provocateurs,” but critics have blasted the government’s response as heavy-handed.

Madison’s arrest and the Joint Terrorism Task Force’s search of his property certainly seems like overkill. People should be able to peacefully protest against globalist meetings without even having to worry about mass arrests and state-sponsored violence. But since it occurs, giving fellow demonstrators the heads up hardly seems like something that should qualify as a criminal offense. If he is found guilty, it could set a dangerous and chilling precedent.
Alex Newman is an American freelance writer and the president of Liberty Sentinel Media, Inc., a small media consulting firm. He is currently living in Sweden and has spent most of his life in Latin America, Europe and Africa. He has a degree in foreign languages and speaks Spanish, French, Portuguese, German, Italian and a little Swedish and Afrikaans. In addition, he earned a degree in journalism from the University of Florida, with emphasis on economics and international relations.

W
Jan 2, 2008
I can see both sides there swampy

perhaps some of the protesters stepped over the line? Perhaps some of them did illegal things and the twitters helped them to evade the LE's and auctually aided further illegal actions??

Perhaps the police needed to shut down mr. twitter to protect the public from protesters on the verge of a full out riot?

I don't know the story, or the real events preceived or otherwise that the police were dealing with.

I cannot make an armchair judgement on that without the full picture. Sounds like the courts might be doing their job on this one, they'll have to make the decision with much more of the facts than what I have.

S
Nov 26, 2007
Everett, Wa.
I can see both sides there swampy

perhaps some of the protesters stepped over the line? Perhaps some of them did illegal things and the twitters helped them to evade the LE's and auctually aided further illegal actions??

Perhaps the police needed to shut down mr. twitter to protect the public from protesters on the verge of a full out riot?

I don't know the story, or the real events preceived or otherwise that the police were dealing with.

I cannot make an armchair judgement on that without the full picture. Sounds like the courts might be doing their job on this one, they'll have to make the decision with much more of the facts than what I have.

Having been through the Battle in Seattle and the anemic response from the Seattle police chief Gil Kurlikowski I would expect that if the protestors were much out of line there would have been worldwide coverage of the confrontations, which there was not. With that in mind the tweets they show were not out of line, if it comes out there were illegal tweeting we will see, by the way what is illegal tweeting? I cannot agree they should have the power to shut down Twitter or any other internet site that cannot be shown to be in violation federal law and through "Due Process of Law". which requires notice and opportunity to defend through the whole federal court system. This looks like a sledgehammer being use to kill a mosquito/ Swampy

W

Wolfrun

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Nov 26, 2007
Lander Wy
Having been through the Battle in Seattle and the anemic response from the Seattle police chief Gil Kurlikowski I would expect that if the protestors were much out of line there would have been worldwide coverage of the confrontations, which there was not. With that in mind the tweets they show were not out of line, if it comes out there were illegal tweeting we will see, by the way what is illegal tweeting? I cannot agree they should have the power to shut down Twitter or any other internet site that cannot be shown to be in violation federal law and through "Due Process of Law". which requires notice and opportunity to defend through the whole federal court system. This looks like a sledgehammer being use to kill a mosquito/ Swampy

Swampy, the sledgehammer analogy is correct. I also think his was the job of the city and state police not the Federal terrorism agents. According to DHS last I knew terrorism was just a police problem not a federal problem but realistically DHs steps pretty hard on the 10th Amendment and states rights. We also have to keep the feds out of the internet big brother stuff, in fact do away with DHS. what is the FBI for.

Premium Features