• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

?Polaris belt drive

Over budget

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Mar 13, 2019
Centerville utah
Is it better to gear my 2020 850 2.6 belt drive down with Kurt’s or the TKI. Seems Like the 2 guys I know putting the pro gears on are still not happy they say needs to still be lower. Wish I woulda just done the 3” track with chain case like my 2019 850 it’s so much more fun to ride at 10.000 ft where I always ride. I’m not sure of the Polaris logic gearing a mountain sled. Maybe if I owned some stock in the belt department I would get it ?

kylant

Lifetime Membership
Mar 4, 2011
CA
TKI
you can change the top gear and adjust your ratio until you find what you like (within reason)

A
Nov 26, 2007
Elko, NV.
I don't know how to say what I want to say without it coming out all wrong so I'll just say it anyway, I'm not trying to chastise anybody just throwing out some facts, but I am pretty sure I could blow a belt in about 5 minutes on any sled made regardless of make. I used to replace belts every other or third ride for 25 years (needless to say wasted a lot of dollars). I would get in a big long uphill powder pull and go and go and go because I wanted to be the first over the top or the first to arrive at the peak. In the last decade I have learned to pull a slope and then circle around a bit, letting things cool before I give it another go. I can now ride a 2,300 mile season on just 2 or 3 belts instead of a dozen or two. I've tried lower gears and have rode with many who have gone with lower gears, and have never been able to see any mountain performance gains. Some think it's the cat's ass, I've never been able to see it in side by side runs or feel it in the seat of my pants. Those who pin it all day without a break still eat belts. I don't know if you ride like I used to or not, just a little food for thought from an old guy.

Wheel House Motorsports

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
SW MT
I don't know how to say what I want to say without it coming out all wrong so I'll just say it anyway, I'm not trying to chastise anybody just throwing out some facts, but I am pretty sure I could blow a belt in about 5 minutes on any sled made regardless of make. I used to replace belts every other or third ride for 25 years (needless to say wasted a lot of dollars). I would get in a big long uphill powder pull and go and go and go because I wanted to be the first over the top or the first to arrive at the peak. In the last decade I have learned to pull a slope and then circle around a bit, letting things cool before I give it another go. I can now ride a 2,300 mile season on just 2 or 3 belts instead of a dozen or two. I've tried lower gears and have rode with many who have gone with lower gears, and have never been able to see any mountain performance gains. Some think it's the cat's ass, I've never been able to see it in side by side runs or feel it in the seat of my pants. Those who pin it all day without a break still eat belts. I don't know if you ride like I used to or not, just a little food for thought from an old guy.

I'll start with saying i regularly get made fun of and people joke that i put drugs in my snacks because i hate sitting still. I used to suffer on my earlier axys sleds terribly with belt life. In good snow, i was seeing 1-200 miles tops. It was terrible. expensive and overall not enjoyable. Really the only reason i stopped is i could feel the sleds heat soaking so bad it wasn't even fun to ride anymore so i'd make myself stop and eat a snack while it cooled down. The season i got sick of running stock config and chasing new answers i spent over 2k in belts in one season. I was also ruining primarys every 500 miles as the bushings were melting out of everything due to nonstop excess heat.

I find significant overall riding "feel" and enjoyment gains from the lower gearing. snappier power, and more stable RPM under load on long sustained climbs.

Lower gearing coupled with @TRS spec'd alignment and clutching has netted the best overall performance and belt life i've ever had on an axys. The new 216 belt on the 850's wont break because its rock hard and doesn't seem to be able to be blown without crazy abuse 99% of people dont have the snow or stamina to do. But, just because the belt isn't blowing doesn't mean it cant be blown.

summ8rmk

Most handsome
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 16, 2008
yakima, wa.
My buddies on their pros ('13-'15) can walk away from my Alpha on the trail. I top out at 74mph they can hit 80ish.
Lower gearing than what Pro's have, would be good for back country riding.

Sent it

A
Nov 26, 2007
Elko, NV.
How does the 216 work and hold up on the 800's, I've heard some stories of the belt being so hard it grooves the sheaves? I've been wanting to give it a try, but still have some 1183's to wear out?

madmax

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Salt lake city
The original Kurt’s for the axys is the same ratio as the pro gears, about 2.10 (talking gear ratio, not final). I put one on my stock 850 early in the year and was happy with the results. I was actually surprised I could notice a difference. If they really have a new 29/69 (2.37) I would love to try it. Was not available when I bought mine two months ago. For extreme backcountry tree riding I think it would be fantastic!

Wheel House Motorsports

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
SW MT
The original Kurt’s for the axys is the same ratio as the pro gears, about 2.10 (talking gear ratio, not final). I put one on my stock 850 early in the year and was happy with the results. I was actually surprised I could notice a difference. If they really have a new 29/69 (2.37) I would love to try it. Was not available when I bought mine two months ago. For extreme backcountry tree riding I think it would be fantastic!

Currently running a TKI kit at 2.33 pulley ratio and loving it. again, Kurts lower gears weren't ready yet so i threw this on to try. Definately very happy with this for aggressive tree riding. and still haven't found any reason not to like it.

K-DOG2

Whiskey Dreamer
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 6, 2007
MN
Currently running a TKI kit at 2.33 pulley ratio and loving it. again, Kurts lower gears weren't ready yet so i threw this on to try. Definately very happy with this for aggressive tree riding. and still haven't found any reason not to like it.
Bought this because of you, you better be right otherwise you owe me 700 dollars..:p

summ8rmk

Most handsome
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 16, 2008
yakima, wa.
Just for reference, cats are 2.63:1
Drivers are ~24" circumference.

Sent it

Last edited:

goforbroke

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Highland, UT
I'm with you. lowered gearing once and I didn't care for it. Nice thing is stock, they rip. I am trying a TRS clutch kit to see if get any gains, but very happy with stock.

Wheel House Motorsports

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
SW MT
Bought this because of you, you better be right otherwise you owe me 700 dollars..:p

UH OH! lol. if you find you have any issues or setup your not impressed with, feel free to message me, I really enjoy helping guys get their setups dialed. I know that I have an absolute riot every day on my sled and want to make sure everyone else enjoys their setup the same way. Nothing like being able to beat on your sled on back to back to back lines in deep snow and not worry about heat soak and fade as well.

die hard poo

Lifetime Membership
Apr 10, 2008
Kenai, AK
So I love low gearing for mountain sleds and on my 16 axys I installed the TKI belt drive for the chain case and ran a 2.32 gear ration (25/58) and loved it. So on my new 850 Khaos I wanted to run the same setup, so I ordered the same 25T top gear with the belt drive lower (didn't realize at the time the belt drive comes with a 63T bottom) so this gear ratio is 2.52.

I went for my first real rip with this setup in the mtns and what I quickly realized with the stock secondary clutching, the bottom end was super ziggy and wasn't loading the motor at all. This was causing it to feel like it was just spinning and not really going anywhere right off engagement until the mid range. So I ordered a steeper helix and to attempt to load the motor down more. This made a world of difference. Now it is grunty and feels much more torquey off engagement and pulls hard. The clutch helix I am running is a 60/42/.36 which I used to run in my old pros. I may try the 60/44 angle when I get more time on this setup but one thing at a time.

Pickin’ Boogers

Lifetime Membership
Apr 5, 2013
I'm running TKI 25/63 on an 800 Axys 155" 2.6 and think it's great for technical tree riding. Too low for high speed trail runs, but that's not my thing anyhow.

Premium Features