• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Planetary gears fubared

C

coug66

Oct 31, 2010
NW near Greenwater
I had issues with the the diamond drive and it eventually let go and went into nuetral.

It started a series of events where I had to hike to a distant cabin for the night and then hiked 3 miles the next morning when help arrived.

The symptoms were it locked up, I think it was half way between forward and reverse.

It did the same thing later but actuating the forward and reverse it worked again.

just before it went out on the top of a hill climb It had a buzzing like it wasn't properly engaged and then popped at the top of a long hill climb.

photo.JPG

The hill I climbed when it let go. This was on Saturday ( day I retrieved the sled) much better climbing snow than Sunday.

DSCN2288.JPG

Is there an aftermarket sollution? what would be the cheapest proper sollution?

Do people replace these with different aftermarket gears?

Thanks

Ian

S
Jan 13, 2009
kelso washington
dd

Theres a guy up north there somewhere that always has complete dd for sale even parts. But he does good job building them. Post up on it someone should have his number and i can get it from a friend if nobody chimes in someday soon. He is always at swap meet.

m8magicandmystery

Lifetime Membership
Jan 20, 2008
Yukon
often a loose secondary bolt will cause the deflection to tighten and then the shifting issue (wants to rattle in nuetral) which can cause a failure..so how tight was your secondary bolt...??

C

coug66

Oct 31, 2010
NW near Greenwater
often a loose secondary bolt will cause the deflection to tighten and then the shifting issue (wants to rattle in nuetral) which can cause a failure..so how tight was your secondary bolt...??

My secondary bolt was OK, you could remove with a wrench pretty easy but not to where it was loose.

It seemed to have an issue when I would brake and it would jump into the locked position. brake, clunk, lock. I did leave the parking brake on and drove for 15 feet. I don't know if that caused any issues. The first Issue with the Diamond drive happened later that day.

CATSLEDMAN1

Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Missoula, Montana
I have a good number of drives at my shop, all look the same. Gears get chipped, pieces floating around, pop in an out of gear, make noise then stop.

BDX for new gears and sun gear cluster. Cheaper than cat.

Take the drive out and COMPLETELY disassemble and clean out every nook and cranny, especially the inside of the sun gear cluster you have to disasseble and reassemble, then look for more gear slivers. Many have gone back together with new parts and one little flake of old gear and that will kill you in the next 100 miles.

C

coug66

Oct 31, 2010
NW near Greenwater
looks like I have options with the BDX parts

I feel better about my options.

looking at some stock options but if I buy bdx gears I can change the gearing. My current damaged gear is 60/60

I am a heavy guy and like to climb hills, trail speed is not that important. I have been happy with current gearing but don't want to miss an opportunity to customize.

Ian

Last edited:

CB.8

Skidoo hill crew
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Colfax, WA
Do the DD lite with hi torque gears. Lose reverse but you gain reliability. My first rebuild was $600 ,lasted 200 miles. DD lite is like $900 through Michelle. I swear something go bad with the case.

C

coug66

Oct 31, 2010
NW near Greenwater
got an M8's diamond drive

I will go through the replacement diamond drive and then swap it with my bad one.

The gears are lower so I will see what the effect of that is.

If I don't like the gearing I will go with the BDX gears.

Thanks for all the help,

Ian

Premium Features