• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Perging Coolant System

M

maddogwfo

JUst rebuild my KK with a new cylinder and two new pistons, what is the best way to perge the coolant stystem, I have ran it half way my tilt trailer with the nose high up, started sled, ran to it was warm, sqeezed coolant lines from bottle and thermostat, any other suggests to make sure all air out of system, thanks for any feeback MADDOGWFO

pUrging coolant system

When I refill one I take the thermostat cap off, take the thermostat out and then fill until the coolant is just at the top of the coolant manifold. Put everything back together, run it until warm, and you usually only have to refill the bottle once.

If you just did the cyls and left the motor in the chassis (didnt empty the tunnel coolers) then you should just be able to fill the bottle. I pull the hose off at the thermostat housing till coolant is present run it AND MAKE SURE YOU CAN FEEL WARM COOLANT IN THE COOLERS IN THE TUNNEL!!!! this will tell you if its cycling the coolant in the system. If you dont then air will get trapped at the highest point in the coolers at the back of the sled and it will NOT PUMP. If that happens point the nose to the sky while running to get the bubble out.

Ive never had one get an air lock in the coolers by just doing a top end but not saying it isnt possible either!

I just raise the frt end high and start/stop/refill...repeat, repeat , repeat and a slight rocking motion side to side don't do any harm..

Premium Features

Back