• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Pellet Stove Operating Question

I bought a used pellet stove, it is supposed to work fine. I'm not saying it doesn't. I have had one before but it had different controls for settings. I wanted to test it to make sure it works before bringing it in the house.

Question is: Does it being outside affect its performance because it is too cold? I had to clean out the auger as it was jammed but other than that the blower, auger, and everything seem to be working fine. But it keeps shutting off on me after it runs for a while. Was wondering if it is because it is outside?

if your not lighting a fire in it,many have a automatic turnoff when ran too long under a certain tempiture.

You have one blower that pulls air through the burn pot.

You have another blower that pushes air through the heat transfer tubes, and blows hot air into the room. Is that blower ever coming on? If not, that may be your problem, and the system is shutting off to protect itself from overheating.

Stove

You have one blower that pulls air through the burn pot.

You have another blower that pushes air through the heat transfer tubes, and blows hot air into the room. Is that blower ever coming on? If not, that may be your problem, and the system is shutting off to protect itself from overheating.

Not all have the blower through the pot. Mine doesn't, its an old Fabco. This wouldn't be one of those would it? Does it go out because it stops dropping pellets? Mine doesn't burn for crap until it gets going pretty good to create the draft through the pot and up the pipe.

This is an older Whitfield Advantage, the pellets are feeding fine, in fact it is burning fine too. It just shuts off and then the fire goes out. What I am wondering is if it is shutting off because it is not getting up to temp because it is outside?

Yes, it could be shutting off the auger after start up mode if the heat exchanger isn't up to heat. Max out the feed rate and see if it'll continue to run.
If not, the bi metal switch that tells the board there's sufficient heat may be bad. That's the cheap part on that stove. Boards do go bad too (not cheap).

Good luck

One thing to check, mine has a heat shield that goes over the temp sensor in the burn pot. I found out the stove worked a lot better when the temp sensor was pushed all the way into the shield. (My temp sensor had worked it's way out over time.) Otherwise, it would be hard to start.

Premium Features

Back