• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Paypal scam?

mtbroncrider

Lifetime Membership
Jan 27, 2011
Helena/Wibuax, MT
Alright, since Ive never actually received money thru paypal, only sent it out, and my wife and I have heard stories of being ripped off thru scams.....I would like everyone's opinion in this.......Here is the email my wife received for a 4 horse trailer we are selling due to non-use

Thanks for your mail. Am interested in buying this and i will paying you the asking price so consider me as your favorite buyer as i will like to have some more pictures if you have them. I would be glad to pay for it as soon as possible though i will not be available to come for an inspection due to my inflexible schedule. I will be paying you with my PayPal Account because it's attached to my Bank Account and its safe and very secure way to make payment online. If my mode of payment is accepted kindly email me with the information below to proceed with the payment.

1) What is the condition?
2) Are you the First Owner?
3) Your PayPal Email Address or send me an invoice
4) Your Picked Up Location Address
And if you dont have paypal you can easily setup one visit www.paypal.com and get back to me with your paypal email address and the full name you use to register,after the payment has gone through my pick up agent will contact you and make a pick up arrangement with you,i wont be able to call you the only means of communication is via email.
regards
dave

Things that stand out to me is bad use of the english language, no phone # and is not going to inspect it.

Fill me in, I'm a technology retarded

mtbroncrider

Lifetime Membership
Jan 27, 2011
Helena/Wibuax, MT
got to thinking about it, and he never actually says what he wants....such as trailer , just says "this"

so i googled the email address.....lo and behold....its linked to a bunch of online scams

Racer220

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
43.463558, -110.762496
after the payment has gone through my pick up agent will contact you and make a pick up arrangement with you,i wont be able to call you the only means of communication is via email.

Dead give-away. The whole message seems structured a bit odd compared to most legit ones, but if you pick up on stuff like this you will know right away it's a scam.

SLDHVN

Premium Member
Mar 7, 2008
Sled Heaven
anytime they use generic language and dont describe the item being sold its a scam. just tell em to send some cash to your paypal:face-icon-small-coo

allied1

Premium Member
Dec 12, 2007
SE ND
If it's a large dollar transaction there WILL be verbal communication at some point prior to payment or they can go pack sand!

turbolover

Enduring the heat till Braap Season
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Jul 4, 2001
Rigby, Idaho
I had a guy that actually sent me a so called cashiers check. When I didnt respond he called me to chew me out that I didnt cash it and send him his money back.

milehighassassin

Moderator: Premium Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Nov 16, 2005
FOCO/VAIL
At one point I had like $8,000 is fake cashiers checks. The guy kept mailing me $2k at a time. He was overnighting them in a fed ex envelope. I figured if nothing, I'd make him pay overnight fees.

Started thinking more into it and realizes that a lot of these scammers are Russian mafia. Not someone you want to piss off. Probably better to not play with them.

Poor English and grammar are a good sign. Saying god bless or having a son story about being orphaned or cancer is another obvious sign. Replying at strange hours (they are in another country).

There are several email tracking websites. Use them. Find out where they are sending emails from.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Premium Features