• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Panther 399

S
Feb 23, 2008
Just pulled an early 70's Panther 399 out of a wheat field in Northern Idaho. It is in great shape - hood/windshield and even seat in great condition. No cracks, no dents, no broken cleats. Farmer/Owner gave it to me and said she worked when it was parked ~12 yrs ago under a tree on the edge of a Palouse Wheat field (Troy, Id) region tree. He gave it to me if I wanted to take it.

Well, I have since brought it down to central ID and found that the Kolher 399 is in bad shape. One piston/cylinder rusted/frozen (Primary clutch side) and it appears the bottom case is also cracked. My best guess is that water entered the engine from the vertical mounted carb intake and caused the crack and rust. Anyone have similiar situation?

Bottom line ..... this sled only shows 700 miles on the OD and is in sweet shape other than that the engine that supposedly ran when it was parked. I have no reason to believe she did not run when parked years ago. I would love to get her running as my first sled was a '68 Panther with 292 single when I was 7 - I am a '65 model myself.

Looking for help on how to get her going. Can send pics, etc for anyone that is interested in helping on giving advice. I think I tweaked the PTO rod (rusted side) when trying to get the jug off (I used patience, but prying was eventually involved to get that sob jug off). Also, that PTO side piston rings are rusted flush to the piston wall. Cylinders look OK except for rust which I think will refurbish with some work. Mag/Fan side Piston and Jug looks new. Crank and bottom end a mess - rust monster - have not looked any further than getting the jugs off.

Help...........

Thanks, and hope you all have fun in the snow this winter!

Jeff from Hailey, Id

catssuk

Lifetime Membership
Dec 2, 2007
Edgerton Wi.
moter sounds like its beyond repair. id be looking for a later 70s, or 80s sled with a fan moter that runs, and buy it cheap, and use that moter for your panther, should fit, just have to modify the moter mount a little.

S
Jul 7, 2001
Kent WA
You want a runner or a looker?

Runner, finad another similar motor

Looker, I am sure there are restore shops out there that have parts you need. Look on vintagesleds.com (I think that's the name)

A
Apr 30, 2008
Phoenix, Arizona
The Kohler 399 was a tempermental engine. Hard to start and the crankshafts were a little too long on the clutch side causing bearing failures or even crankshaft breakage. There are a lot of other engines that will drop in provided you get the motor baseplate and muffler with it. They are the 292 single cylinder Kawasaki and 340,399, and 440 twin cylinder Kawasaki. The easiest would be of course to find another Kohler 399, but these are other options.

Snochopper

Premium Member
Dec 10, 2007
My 399 runs strong, took awhile to get the sled back up to snuff, but alot of fun just finding the parts.

Idcatman1

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Ashton, Idaho
Panther

I think your Panther must be a 1971 if it has the 399 Kohler. Cat used a lot of different engines that year. I had a 71 Puma with a 440 Sachs, a friend had one with a 399 JLO. 71 was the first year they used the Kawasaki engines also. I have recently seen a 440 Sachs sell on Ebay pretty cheap. I would check there, you might just find a Kohler. Good luck.

Albany Mountain

Premium Member
Nov 28, 2007
Albany, Wyoming
Looking for help on how to get her going. Can send pics, etc for anyone that is interested in helping on giving advice.

I have a 72 with the Kawasaki 399 that I really don't need. Will start and run. I rebuilt the carb and clutch but can't get the transition from low to high nailed down. It has been sitting inside since the early 70's other than when it was out playin.

Kenny

Premium Features