• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Painting drymax/advantech

Snowbird11

Lifetime Membership
May 29, 2011
SLC/Samak, Ut
I recently purchased a new trailer with a heavily worn rear ramp. It was out of Oregon and the shop left it open as an advertisement which resulted in mildew and some swelling. After pressure washing it looks better but still not great. I'm going to prime and paint with either oil base or epoxy and want some advice. This will be both to seal what's left and cosmetically look better. The plan is to have glides and traction on the ramp, so it'll hopefully hold up better. Will the epoxy crack when the ramp flexes under SxS tires? Is the track likely to tear up paint?

What's your preferred treatment here?

1000014815.jpg

CHarding

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 3, 2019
I recently purchased a new trailer with a heavily worn rear ramp. It was out of Oregon and the shop left it open as an advertisement which resulted in mildew and some swelling. After pressure washing it looks better but still not great. I'm going to prime and paint with either oil base or epoxy and want some advice. This will be both to seal what's left and cosmetically look better. The plan is to have glides and traction on the ramp, so it'll hopefully hold up better. Will the epoxy crack when the ramp flexes under SxS tires? Is the track likely to tear up paint?

What's your preferred treatment here?

View attachment 422538
If it were me, I would just replace the wood on the ramp first and then treat, prime, seal or whatever you had planned. There is probably $50 worth of wood there. Pretty simple to just remove and replace with the same screws, hardware as what is there now. Would be good as new.

Just my 2 cents.

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
If it were me, I would just replace the wood on the ramp first and then treat, prime, seal or whatever you had planned. There is probably $50 worth of wood there. Pretty simple to just remove and replace with the same screws, hardware as what is there now. Would be good as new.

Just my 2 cents.
AGREED
NOW would be a great time to just put in BRAND NEW WOOD/FLOORING and be set for years to come.

Snowbird11

Lifetime Membership
May 29, 2011
SLC/Samak, Ut

Just my 2 cents.

I had thought about that and I could even warranty it. The only downside would be putting more holes in the aluminum ramp framing. I'm already considering using it for a SxS that weighs 2,000lbs when the ramp is rated for 1,500. Might not be an issue but it did cross my mind.

Sheetmetalfab

Lifetime Membership
Oct 5, 2010
The Promised Land……..
I had thought about that and I could even warranty it. The only downside would be putting more holes in the aluminum ramp framing. I'm already considering using it for a SxS that weighs 2,000lbs when the ramp is rated for 1,500. Might not be an issue but it did cross my mind.
Only half the weight will be on the ramp at a time……..

V

volcano buster

Nov 26, 2007
Stayton Oregon
There is a good chance there is not a "stud" in the ramp to support the weight of the SxS tires as you load/unload. The weight will be supported by the flake board, which has already been compromised. I would be less concerned with a few more holes in the aluminum than the catastrophic failure of the flake board giving out when loading/unloading.
If the panels can be removed without major damage to the screw holes, I would cut the replacement plywood to size then transfer the hole locations, drill, then treat the wood before installing, hopefully back in the same holes.

Premium Features