• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

P-85 clutch weight shims

R
Nov 9, 2008
SE IDAHO
Any one know where I can get some clutch weight shims for a P-85. I was told I should get the weight as centered on the roller as possible. Right now my weights are offset to the leading side of the clutch... Someone suggested I should use some comet clutch shims, but I don't know where to find them. Any other suggestions on what I may use.Thanks

wellfed777

Lifetime Membership
Dec 1, 2007
Oregon
YES
get some comet shims you should be able to get them from your dealer or WPS or lots of places they work good and really help with weight bushing life

good luck let it snow

R
Nov 9, 2008
SE IDAHO
WPS part #204203

I was just reading through a post published by you about clutch servicing... great info, thanx... So I should only need 1 shim for each weight placed on the torque side (leading side) of the weight. That seems like all mine should need. Now as for the o-ring underneath the pin nut, should I do this as well? Thanks again all.

J

Joemt

Jan 7, 2008
Potomac Montana
Need some help with comet Steel weight washers 204203

2 Questions from this post:

1. As I stand looking at the clutch I shim the righthad side of the weight.

2. Grinf off the base of what?????

At 500-1000 miles there is enough wear that a single washer will usually fit on the thrust side of the weight. The clutch turns counterclockwise so looking down at the weight nearest you; it would be the right side of the weight is the thrust side. You may need to grind a little off at the base to square the surface for the washer-a Dremmel works great. The slot for the weights will be wider at the top and narrow at the bottom (V) so grind the bottom to square the opening. If you are ambitious you can add the washer to

Thanks

Last edited:

Goinboardin

Premium Member
Nov 15, 2009
Laramie, WY
The slot the weight fits in on the moveable sheave, will wear into the V mentioned. If you look at the material around the weight pin, on either side of where the weight sits, thats the region that wears. I have a clutch with a lot of missing aluminum in that region, lesson learned the hard (expensive) way, but now I have a new clutch! Placing shims between the weight and the aluminum gives you a cheap part to change as a maintenance item instead of wearing the moveable sheave. If the wear isn't bad, you can square up the aluminum top to bottom and add shims as needed. If a lot of grinding is required, there is a good chance the weights gauged the spider, and it would be advised to rebalance or replace the clutch.

One of the most crucial primary clutch maintenance items is belt to sheave clearance! So keep them clean, keep the spider shimmed properly, and keep good bushings in the weights. Helps them last much longer.

Premium Features