• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

P-85 broken bushings

C
Nov 15, 2012
NH
Last year I had a problem with my 1998 Indy 600 XC, It would only pull up to 6500-6700 rpm on top, unless it was on a stand. I found at the tail end of the riding season last year that the bushing on the primary that the weights ride on are broken in multiple spots and have pieces missing out of them. Will this cause it to loose rpm on top? I also had a newer belt last year, with no spots in it and it measure to be in spec. Just to be safe I bought another one this summer.

Jay

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Smithers, B.C.
If you are talking about the rollers, yes, absolutely that is causing the lack of rpm. Time for a roller kit, about $120, find a buddy with the tools you need to rebuild it, show up with a box of beer and voila! your back to 8200 rpm. :face-icon-small-ton

sno*jet

Premium Member
Dec 13, 2007
rollers might fix it but likely your whole clutch needs to be re-built if not replaced. id get some bids from a reputable shop for a complete clutch service/alignment.

C
Nov 15, 2012
NH

Jay

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Smithers, B.C.
Yes thats the type of kit you need but I would not buy the spi one, I have tried the spi kits twice and both times in 20 miles +/- they fall apart, rollers flattening , bushings failing, very poor quality IMHO. Go with either the Erlandson or stock polaris kits. I know the '98 700 used the wide rollers but I can't say for sure if the 600 did, probably did, but I'm not sure. There is a good chance the whole clutch is worn out, you might need to replace the bushings, weights and spring as well so you might need the kit that has the bushings also. Do you know anyone who can help you out with this?

I pulled up a thread in the general section I started about the spi kits, have a look at it. I guess the 20 mile comment is a little excesive, but 200 is unacceptable also. A stock 600 should easily get 3000 miles before needing a rebuild.

Last edited:
C
Nov 15, 2012
NH
Yes thats the type of kit you need but I would not buy the spi one, I have tried the spi kits twice and both times in 20 miles +/- they fall apart, rollers flattening , bushings failing, very poor quality IMHO. Go with either the Erlandson or stock polaris kits. I know the '98 700 used the wide rollers but I can't say for sure if the 600 did, probably did, but I'm not sure. There is a good chance the whole clutch is worn out, you might need to replace the bushings, weights and spring as well so you might need the kit that has the bushings also. Do you know anyone who can help you out with this?

I pulled up a thread in the general section I started about the spi kits, have a look at it. I guess the 20 mile comment is a little excesive, but 200 is unacceptable also. A stock 600 should easily get 3000 miles before needing a rebuild.

Thanks for the help, I really appreciate it. I will defiantly will go with OEM, I have replace a primary spring on a 680 ultra with just some longer bolts to help get it lined up then swapping them with the shorter ones and drawing the plate in. My cousin has a primary clutch spring compressor and my uncle has a primary clutch bolt that will take the clutch off. I don't really know how to remove the rollers, I'm guessing that the clutch will have to come off along with the the outside plate that the spring sits against, then there is the allen heads that hold the weights on. Sound like the right idea? Also should I just replace the spring with a OEM one again or go with a little more pressure?

Premium Features