• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

OVS RG HELP!!!!

T

Tenner

Hey guys, I have bought my first turbo! Its an 08 M8 with an OVS RG Kit on it. I have read a ton about turbos, and have tried to apply them to my sled. But I want more generalized answers to my questions. Any info is greatly appreciated.

Pure Logic Box settings are
G: 1
Y: 1
R: 4
G/B: 4.5
Y/B: 4.5
R/B: 4
These are really close, I can not remember exactly what they are, this is within 1 point.

Question #1 My sled at idle is about 15.0-15.2 AFR down the trail in green mode its about 14.0-14.4 Yellow mode is 13.3-13.5 I start pulling boost in this mode. Is this too rich? I feel like it runs really well right here thru 3/4 throttle.

Question #2 At WOT my sled will pull only 5-6# and AFR is 11.6-12.1. This is down the trail. After a second I will get a sputter! I cant tell if its a rich or lean sputter. I wouldnt think its lean based on AFR. Could this be a boost leak? I have turned the boost up so it should pull more than 6# Off the trail in soft snow on a smaller hill where there is load on the motor, it will sputter harder than on trail. Almost completely fall on its face. Boost is still the same, AFR Is still around 12.0 or so.

Question #3 Down the trail My sled only pulls 6900 RPM. What should it pull? I am guessing 7900-8100? I ride 6000-9000ft On a climb its even less. Could this be a little bit of my sputter mentioned before? I have an OVS Torsional in the secondary with a white spring, Primary is a blue spring, I am not sure on weights. I have not looked at them yet. I am thinking they are too heavy, the previous owner ran this sled at 15# boost.

Question #4 I am planning on running close to 10# on this turbo. Will I be safe running 50/50 110 Race Gas and 91 Non Ethanol fuel? I have read yes, and been told no. Should I stick with 110 or try some 100LL? Could I have to much octane and that is why I get a sputter. I have had straight 110 in it until I get it tuned so I know its safe.

Question #5 What causes a turbo to flood when you shut it off? Is this a normal thing?

Thanks for reading and I apologize if I have asked questions that have already been answered. I just want them all in one spot so they are easy to look back on for answers.

I like to start off with plenty of octane then back it off a little at a time once you get it dialed in. If the sled is setup for 15 psi its not going to run worth a crap at 6. Turn the boost up to 10 if that's where you want to run it and you still will probably have to much weight in primary. It should run 8000-8100 and 12-12.5 afr each setup varies.

Last edited:
Thanks! I have turned the boost up but I can not get it to pull more than 6. Could I have a boost leak? Whats the best way to check for one?

I do not think your issue is a result of high octane.

It very well could be a boost leak, and too heavy of primary weights.

Cap the turbo inlet, and exhaust, and pressurize the system with compressed air. Spray everything down with soapy water and you will see any leaks. Big leaks can be easily heard/felt.

1... that sounds fine..you are safe there

2...have you changed plugs...gap .018....fuel fresh? Are you running the tial setup? Which turbo? The o2 is good at 12.2 ish....but the pure logic box should be reprogrammed if you want to run any thing under 11psi because of the secondary injector fuel curve. Have you called ovs? Did you ever ride it when the previous owner ran it?

Thanks for the responses! Tonysnoo I have called OVS and talked to travis, new which sled I have, he set it up for the previous owner, they know each other. I have never rode it when the other guy had it, but I do know that it ran really hard! Travis talked me through how to set up the box, I did that. When I did do that he did say to put new plugs in and gap them. I have done that, so the current plugs have about 30 min worth of tuning in a field and then about 35 miles on them on an actual ride. No I do not beleive this is the tial setup. It is one of the older set ups, but it is a garrett that they put on it. I am not saying that I will never run it under 10psi. I was told that the secondary injectors come on at about 9-9.5psi I am sure after I get it tuned great I will slowly turn the boost up and end up about 12psi. That is where travis said that is the most reliable and safest point for that motor and turbo.

Premium Features

Back