• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Overheat

reed4rmk

Lifetime Membership
Nov 29, 2007
Clackamas, OR
02 800 RMK. Extended the track from a 151 to a 162, now if I'm going slow through the trees or on the trail it overheats, even with ice scratchers. If I'm keeping the speed up then it's ok. Is this due to the longer track not kicking up snow in the right direction to hit the cooler. What's the solution? I can get a tunnel extension from SLP, what else would I have to do? What else am I missing? Thanks,

S

sodfarmer

Dec 5, 2007
Not extending the tunnel may be part of the problem, but not all. This last week we extended my buddies 01 from a 144 to a 159. We rode that afternoon and had zero heating issues. I would extend the tunnel first, but you may have other issues.

Good luck.

B
Nov 26, 2007
Salt Lake City
Over heating

Make sure you have a snow flap. If you do and the coolers are getting warm then you have one or possible 2 issues. The water pump impeller can come loose from the WP shaft and slip causing poor water circulation. Also the thermostat dies on these motors pretty regularly although if that's the case then it usually will overheat as soon as you start it. I have done several now with impeller problems. Chicken or the egg thing. Not sure if themostat dies and overheats the impeller causing it to slip or impeller starts slipping causing it to overheat and kill the thermostat.
Thermostat is easy to get out, pull it and drop it into a pan of hot water. If it opens then tear into the impeller.
Also check your WP belt while you are at it, if it breaks on the trail then you have no OIL. I carry a spare.

rmkboxer

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Bonney lake WA
if it cools when you are going at a descent speed then everything else should be ok. when you go slow it does not kick up snow on the cooler. you can check all the other stuff but your not going to find anything. when you are going slow you need to spin the track occasionally to get snow up on the cooler. slow speeds= no cooling

reed4rmk

Lifetime Membership
Nov 29, 2007
Clackamas, OR
I'm thinking that the belt and impeller are ok as if I'm in snow and running the piss out of it and climbing it does ok. Same I think for the thermostat although that is something that's easy to ckeck. I'm guessing that with the longer track it is no longer kicking the snow up onto the cooler. How hard is a tunnel extension to put on and does that relocate the cooler further back.

D
Sep 14, 2006
On the toilet
You got something else going on. The 02 151 uses the same cooler and tunnel extension as the 159 does.

My 02 with a 159 and a turbo cools just fine. Even on hardpack with the scratchers down it still stays below 150.

T

theultrarider

Nov 26, 2007
Soldotna Alaska
You got something else going on. The 02 151 uses the same cooler and tunnel extension as the 159 does.

My 02 with a 159 and a turbo cools just fine. Even on hardpack with the scratchers down it still stays below 150.

Like was said, the 151 and 159 use exactly the same tunnel extension from the factory and the same cooler. I just put a 162 under mine this year and no cooling issues at all. Liek was also said earlier, make sure you have a stock snow flap or longer, and that it is not getting sucked up into the track. I did hook a strap from the rear bumper on mine to the flap to keep it from getting sucked up against the track and blocking the snow from getting to the cooler, It would do that from time to time with the stock 159 and was too close for my comfort with the 162 under it, thus the straps. I assume the system is bled out well and the cooler is getting hot as well?

Premium Features