• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Over heating

H
Nov 29, 2013
I am riding at KTM 520 and it continually overheats. Then the release valve shoots steam from the radiator. I'm in 20 degree weather clipping along in 3rd and 4th gear with my buddies, but they are not overheating.
Any ideas or fixes?
Thanks!

A
Nov 26, 2007
Lewiston, Idaho
I am riding at KTM 520 and it continually overheats. Then the release valve shoots steam from the radiator. I'm in 20 degree weather clipping along in 3rd and 4th gear with my buddies, but they are not overheating.
Any ideas or fixes?
Thanks!

The KTM RFS motors are know for running hot but when I ran my 525 I don't recall overheating being much of an issue. To start of with make sure you are not jetted too lean. You could also go to a different type of coolant like engine ice or evans waterless coolant.

wwillf01

Lifetime Membership
Aug 12, 2012
Heber Ut
Any ideas or fixes?
Thanks!

How many hours on the bike? How much coolant is it loosing... Is it eating oil. The easiest thing to try is a new cap or high pressure cap... I have seen them malfunction... Do you see the coolant flowing when you take the cap off (when it's cool of course) make sure you pumps working and or there's not a blockage.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Hd

wwillf01

Lifetime Membership
Aug 12, 2012
Heber Ut
Make sure your jetting is right also for how cold it is also...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

H

Hbmtr

Feb 11, 2010
carnelian bay ca.
removing the front fender sounds like a patch.You really might want consider pressure testing coolant system for a possible leaking head gasket.When head gaskets leak,they can leak combustion gasses into the cooling system which then pressurizes the cooling system and intern lifts the pressure cap off its seat releasing coolant thru the over flow tube.
Remember these bike were designed to be run in 70-90F weather.you could also have a bad w/p impellar,remove rad cap when cold and start bike,hold at steady throttle of 1500-2000 rpm you should be able to see coolant flowing.Not sure if your bike has a factory thermostat but it could be stuck closed.Hate to see you cook your moter over something easy to diagnose.

scooter4x40

Lifetime Membership
Oct 10, 2010
Alberta
Consistent water temps

Im thinking of running a heat exchanger to back of tunnel, and bypassing radiators, I think this will give a more consistent heat control, sleds have been doing this for 25-30 years, I have problem of sometimes to hot sometimes to cool, also have the cylinder and head wrapped in aluiminum bubble wrap, seems to work good. Any thoughts

A
Nov 26, 2007
Lewiston, Idaho
Im thinking of running a heat exchanger to back of tunnel, and bypassing radiators, I think this will give a more consistent heat control, sleds have been doing this for 25-30 years, I have problem of sometimes to hot sometimes to cool, also have the cylinder and head wrapped in aluiminum bubble wrap, seems to work good. Any thoughts

That's exactly what I did with my CR500, I started a thread and posted some pictures of what I did. I have consistent cooling now and can keep engine temps right were I want them.

Link to thread
http://www.snowest.com/forum/showthread.php?t=347711

Last edited:
Premium Features