• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Oil consumoption

T
Feb 9, 2020
Got a 2007 Polaris 600 HO IQ. did a top end rebuild last fall. used it for the first time did about 150 miles. used a full tank of oil. Usually get between 4-5 tanks or more of gas to a full tank of oil. looked at cable to make sure its not pulling. doesn't seem to be. anyone got any ideas?

BeartoothBaron

Lifetime Membership
Nov 2, 2017
Roberts, MT
How much does the oil tank hold on this? On mine, I've got 3.25 qt oil tank, to 12 gallon fuel tank. Burning at a 40:1 mix, I should be running the oil tank dry at less than three full tanks, or four tanks of more typical fill. If yours is the same, you could easily be going from filled to the brim to oil light on in three fills, especially if it's using oil at more than 40:1. Miles to oil consumed is mostly meaningless: you could go 300 miles to a tank on the trail, but you'll probably get less than 100 running in deep snow. I'd put a mark on the oil tank when it's getting low, add a quart, and then see how much gas it takes to get back down to the mark; if you're at 40:1, it'll take 10 gallons. If it is off, check the marks on the oil pump. Could be it was put back together with the pump adjusted way up (possibly on purpose, to help with break-in).

Premium Features