• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Oh' CRAP, this may suck

P

proflow

Dec 15, 2007
Buckley, WA
I just finished cleaning exhaust valves, clutches, etc. Pulled the SLP pipe to clean & reseal.
Upon cleaning the can I heard something rattling inside. So I shook out what could be either the best catch or worst nightmare. Two 1/4" or 6mm ball bearings. Brown in color of course. I about crapped myself thinking maybe just some welding slag or what not. Nope :face-icon-small-fro

Anyone know the size of the crank bearings ? Could this possibly be ? I haven't checked crank run out yet, but did try & feel for any up/down movement on the primary & seemed fine.

These didn't come from any smart arse friends, so had to be internal from somewhere.

Damn it, just when I thought she was ready to pound the mountain !

Any thoughts ? -----Proflow

B
Nov 26, 2007
Salt Lake City
Bearings

That is about the size of the ones in the main crank bearings but I don't think there is enough gap between them and the counter balances to be able to come out of the race on a Polaris. Usually the spacer plate that keeps the bearings evenly spaced around the bearing comes apart allowing the bearings to stack up and lock up the crank. You can usually turn it backwards and it will free up. Look at the top of your pistons and see if one of them is pounded any.

sled_guy

Premium Member
Jul 5, 2001
Riverton, Utah
Those would have to travel up the transfers and then get pounded by the pistons and then out the pipe.

Has this pipe been on another sled? Has the machine been broken before with this pipe on it?

sled_guy

P

proflow

Dec 15, 2007
Buckley, WA
I was able to see the top of the pistons really well & didn't find a single mark. I bought the pipe & can both new & never have had any internal problems before. I think tomorrow I'll pop the head for a better look.
Just for kicks I did a cold compression test & got 145 pto & 150 mag side.

I dunno------Proflow

winter brew

Premium Member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
LakeTapps, Wa.
Are you 100% sure they are STEEL? Do a magnet test. Is the pipe or silencer cerme-cromed?? They tumble the coated pipe in a bath of ceramic "polishing balls".....at least the coating process I've seen is done this way. I have seen these balls stuck inside silencers, supose possible to stick in a pipe as well. Hopefully that's what it is, I can't see how a bearing could come apart anough to spit out a ball without total failure. :beer;

Reactions: proflow
J

JesseJames

Jan 9, 2005
WB, I had a crank bearing failure on an 01 800 that completely trashed the PTO side cylinder and piston, the cases were shot as well because the bearing had spun in them..and it ran perfectly.

Started great, ran smoothly, and made good power. Only reason it was found was because the mechanic thought the motor was making a little to much noise, so they started to dig. Jesse.

Reactions: winter brew
P

proflow

Dec 15, 2007
Buckley, WA
Are you 100% sure they are STEEL? Do a magnet test. Is the pipe or silencer cerme-cromed?? They tumble the coated pipe in a bath of ceramic "polishing balls".....at least the coating process I've seen is done this way. I have seen these balls stuck inside silencers, supose possible to stick in a pipe as well. Hopefully that's what it is, I can't see how a bearing could come apart anough to spit out a ball without total failure. :beer;

YOU NAILED IT BUD !!!!!!!!!!!!
Pipe & can are coated so I booked out to the shop & found it to be non-magnetic ! Yes !!!!!! :D Cool, looks like I'll be squirting nitrous next weekend afterall !

Thanks all for the help-----Proflow

winter brew

Premium Member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
LakeTapps, Wa.
YOU NAILED IT BUD !!!!!!!!!!!!
Pipe & can are coated so I booked out to the shop & found it to be non-magnetic ! Yes !!!!!! :D Cool, looks like I'll be squirting nitrous next weekend afterall !

Thanks all for the help-----Proflow

:beer;:):beer;.....GOOD DEAL!

Premium Features